What's new

sammy hls4266w - day 3 (1 Viewer)

rick!r*

Auditioning
Real Name
ricky r
got my hls4266w on tuesday. I have rcn digital, but non-hd, cable (will upgrade soon, I think). I also got the Oppo 970 dvd player (to avoid macroblocking issues with the 971).

connected as follows: hdmi from oppo to tv, digital coax from oppo to marantz surround sound receiver. composite video cable from cable box to av1 of tv, composite audio cables from cable box to marantz receiver (my cable box only offers regular coax or composite).

PQ with my RCN sd digital cable signal is hit and miss. Most of the time the picture is grainy and/or a touch blurry. Sometimes it is almost unwatchable, with horizontal bars floating up the screen. Other times, like yesterday for example, the picture was pretty good. Baseball on ESPN looked really great. This is really strange to me, as the picture with my 32 inch toshiba crt (which the sammy replaced), always looked amazing. I was frequently commenting on how much better the rcn picture was than the comcast I used to have.

My picture settings are as follows:

AV1 (tv):Custom
Contrast- 53
bright - 47
sharp - 42
color - 37
r/g - g51/r49
temp - normal
dnr - on
dnie - off
film - on

hdmi (dvd):Movie
contrast- 55
bright - 41
sharp - 48
color - 35
r/g - 50/50
temp - normal
dnr - on
dnie - off

I didn't have access to the dve disc yet, so I used a thx optimizer on my monters inc dvd.

I'm pretty happy with the dvd settings. Watched Robots and Mummy and the picture was just incredible. Really gives a good glimpse at what this tv can do. I will definitely get this tv professionally calibrated. May wait a couple of months to let it finish burning in and settling.

On the Movie setting, I lose the ability to do more fine tuning of the color, so I may have to switch it to Custom. Question: If I put the same settings that I have in the movie setup, will it look the same if I just switch it to custom? Or are there changes that result from that in areas that I can't access/control? Anyone know?

I also would like to get an antenna and see if I can get hd ota. not quite sure how to do this. Anyone got a primer on it?

My wife loves the dvd picture, said it was like being at the movies. But her one complaint is how bright the tv is. the color vibrancy is a bit much and after awhile it hurts her eyes. We sit in a dark, but not black room. If I get the tv professionally calibrated, is this something that can be adjusted? Just using the brightness, contrast and color tools doesn't do it for us.

All in all I am pretty happy. The dvd playback with the oppo set to 720p just looks incredible. I'm disappointed by the step backward in sd picture quality from leaving my old crt. But I look forward to getting HD channels because from what I can tell from the dvd signal, and the sd cable when all is going well, the hd pictures should be a massive step forward.

But I will need to do something about the brightness/vibrancy of the picture. Either that or I will just have to keep hearing the complaints from my wife about the brightness!

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
glad to hear you like it. i'm considering the TV myself. how much did you pay and where did you get it?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Getting my HLS5078 this week. Excited about the set-up, though I won't have HD cable until into August when I'm back from vacation. How bad is the SD? I'm coming from a 32" Sony CRT. Got the Oppo 970 and gave it a test on the CRT set and was happy that the region-free hack worked great and I love the multiple zooms (one of the reasons I didn't stay with Sony). Wish the interface were less clunky (the graphcs look like they're from an 80's era Amiga), but it's the picture that matters.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
PS - Be sure to tell Ron in the Audio Sources section about the Oppo; he's trying to find out information about its PAL capabilties. To access the region hack try this: SETUP - 9210 - 0 - SETUP

rick!r*

Auditioning
Real Name
ricky r
I'm still definitely enjoying the tv. SD signal ranges from actually pretty good, to sometimes pretty bad.

I'm getting an antenna to try to get some ota hd channels and see how that is (still have to figure out exactly how to do that). I'll likely hold off getting hd cable till the end of the summer.

I got the tv at circuit city web site. they list it at a good price, and I found a 10% off coupon on the web. With free delivery, and them taking my old tv away, I considered it a very good deal.

I am still tweaking the settings a bit, but dvds on the oppo look great.

I also did the all region hack and it worked perfectly. The oppos display is a bit off-putting. It looks kind of orange to my eyes.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Bryan,

If I've read everything correctly, these TVs display everything at its native 720p resolution, no matter what the input.

But since I don't have mine yet (sigh) I can't answer that from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks