What's new

How much sub do I need? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
that's class
hear hear. when I first contacted Tom about recommendations for subs (including SVS), at that time (before SVS's summer sale and before they got a firm quote on shipping) the price of the SVS + shipping was about the same, or slightly higher, than the REL Q150 I was considering. Tom did give the opinion that RELs are highly regarded and the Q150 was probably suitable for my purposes. he didn't push SVS, and added he was happy to help me with setup advice later once I'd bought a sub, regardless of whether it was SVS or not.
subsequently, SVS had their summer sale so the 25-31 was US$50 cheaper, and they got a firm quote on shipping, which was US$84 lower than the estimate on their website. at that price it was cheaper than the Q150 so I took that leap of faith.
as I've already said, I'm glad I did.
sorry Bill for raising the same old stuff which you've said you don't really want to hear (recommendations for Internet-only products), but as you can see SVS have a rabid following on this forum -- and IMHO for very good reason.

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
Well at least I don't have to hear pushes toward Rocket divas to get info..:)
I guess the internet is just a place to push your product.
I don't want to buy anything on blind faith.
Still have a leather chair bought on faith that sits worse than a school desk I couldn't return;)
I just thought there would be some formula.
It must be impossible since the most important specs spl, driver throw, etc are never spec'd by manufacturers...only freq.resp.
Maybe I'm back to blind faith after all!

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to buy anything on blind faith.
My opinion on this is that you are purchasing on blind faith even when demo-ing "in store." From *my* experience, nothing sounds the same as it did in the demo room. You might go to some place and audition a Paradigm Servo 15, and it sounded absolutely wonderful (and it is). BUT, when you get it home, it doesn't sound the same. It could perform worse, or yet better. Why? Your listening room is not that demo room.

Now, yes, I do own an SVS (16-46PCi). Yet I feel you should take Tom Vodhanel's post into consideration. Try finding an older FSR, or buy a single HGS-18. You can add a second if the single HGS is not quite enough.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bill:

Ask Tom he will give you driver throw and anything else that you want to know.

One thing to keep in mind. SV Subs will ship you out the subs and if you decide to return them they have a 45 day return policy.

Parker

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
OK,I can deal with internet brands.
Which is THE best (internet or not) for both music and HT?
HSU, SVS, Acoustic-Visions, or what?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
If you want soemthing that will match the delicacy and resolving musical abilities of your Mahler's, and still pack a Whallop in such a large space, I would still favor the VMPS Larger. (possibly 2)

If you are crossing over below 60Hz, any of the BIG BOYS will work. SVS, Velodyne, Earthquake, all will have models that will offer you High SPLs for HT in the lower registers.

IMHO

John

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

Stick to your guns, I agree a sub will sound different in a showroom then it does in your house, but a top named sub is still a top named sub! You have not cut any coners in your setup. I think your chose of a REL would be nice for music, but you would need two in order to get the HT slam! The Revel B-15 or Paradigm Servo-15 would be worth a try. The bottem line is it's your money your system, get what YOU thing would work best!

Paul

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Bill most stereo dealers will let you demo a sub at your home , my little dealer did and I ended up with 2 of the paradigm pw2200, try to demo the sunfire{small and look very nice}, the mighty revel B15{very nice looking sub}, and the servo 15 from paradigm, and the Velo hgs series, take a look before you buy, you might thank me!

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Your just burning money if you don't consider the Dual SVS Ultra setup. Peace of mind is easily worth the cost of return shipping after 45 days of "in-home-trial".You would have to invest $5000.00 in a REl product to best the SVS Ultra's for HT. This is embarrassing to admit...but I actually choose the CSW Newton 500's over B&W 804's! Got to live with both for a couple of weeks and had many auditions with different groups of people and it was unanimous.Don't get hooked on the big names. Let's hope Mercedes doesn't start building subs.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Bill,
Just because something has name recognition (Bose has name recognition) doesn't mean it's the right choice for you. That also doesn't mean all the name brands are of Bose Quality.
Mark is right -- with the subs you're looking at, any reputable shop will let you audition them in your home. You've no doubt figured out SVS has a pretty rabid following, and it is possible that we're some kind of subwoofer cult as far as you know if you've never had the chance to hear one. With the kind of money you're willing to spend, here's what I think will settle this for you: Get an SVS Ultra package, and then go to local shops and borrow subs for auditioning them. You will be able to put them side by side and know you made the right choice. You are out shipping if the SVS proves dissatisfying, but with any sub you wind up keeping you will have gotten the opportunity to discuss with a subwoofer designer best placement, etc. in your environment (I'm sure the fine folks at the name brands would also love to do that, but after some meetings so please leave a message after the beep).
You asked for THE best sub, and I doubt anyone can answer that question honestly for your system, environment, and music/movie tastes (aesthetics may be as important as sound to you as well). This is really the only way to find out.
HTH
-Robb

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
In 8000 cu-ft, the options from SVS would be several,

From a sheer price/performace standpoint... something like four of the 20-39CS+ matched with a single high output amp would work fine. This would be

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks