What's new

How much of a pig is XP (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm debating installing Xp Pro on my machine, but I've heard that it's a bit of a resource hog. I'm running a P3 450 with 384 Mb of Ram, which SHOULD be enough, but I'm not sure. Has anyone tried installing on a similar configuration?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
384 MB RAM should be plenty. I recommend at least 256 for either Win2K or XP. How big a hard drive do you have? If it's less than 20 GB, you might want to upgrade or add a second one. That's where most of the bloat ends up.

KJP

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
PC133 RAM is so cheap that I would think it should not be an obstacle in running XP if that's what you want to do.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Unless of course you have an IBM like a guy I work with. It takes 64 megs max. If he wants any more he is going to have to upgrade his motherboard. I sure am glad I build my own computers.
Kevin C. :)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm running XP Home on a P3-450 with 256MB RAM, and I haven't had any issues.

Most "normal" functions seem quicker than ME, in fact.

Todd

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
If it's less than 20 GB, you might want to upgrade or add a second one. That's where most of the bloat ends up.
I think this is a little bit off. A 20GB hard drive is plenty of space for Windows. How much space do you think an OS takes up?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've got XP running on my wifes PC using a 4.3 gig HHD with a 450 MHz CPU and 128 megs of RAM.

On my PC my C partition which is only has XP installed and a few small programs etc is currently at 2.5 gig of which half is in the windows folder. XP is lager then most OS's but its not that bad.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
XP seems to run very efficiently on my machine, much more so than WinMe. Multitasking seems to be less of a risky proposition with XP. My hardware isn't "all that" either although I do have 256 MB.

Michael.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I think this is a little bit off. A 20GB hard drive is plenty of space for Windows.
You're probably right, the OS itself doesn't use more than a gig or so, but then add everything else (Office, games, browsers, graphics software, data, yadda yadda) and in a few years that 20 GB drive will seem cramped. Remember that just a few short years ago 1 GB was a TON of space! :)
As for RAM, personally I would recommend 256 MB, or 128 at the bare minimum, to run XP comfortably.
KJP

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget, if upgrading parts doesn't make you queasy, and you only have 1 HD, you can always slave a second one and add it to the same IDE channel. But to be honest, I think by the time you need more than 20GB (assuming you don't save full versions of tons of games and tons of music to your system) you will probably need a new PC.

Personally I have a 40GB HD, I'm a moderate gamer with a few MP3s, and I rarely use more than 14GB.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies. With the 40 Gb drive, I should have lots of space-I was more concerned about the processor speed.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
One thing to look out for after you install XP: make sure that the "speach recognition" application isn't running.

Somehow it became enabled on my AMD 500mz 380mb RAM system and it took FOREVER to even open IE.

I did some research using the task manager and tracked down the resource hog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks