What's new

How much interest is there for a Pre-Built Linkwitz Transform? (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

no prob Hank=) I had one person pull back already, so I hope no more do. I don't want this one to bite me in the end :frowning:
I can order a volume of boards, but it won't be a whole lot cheaper than ordering from Rod dirrectly. Maybe $2-3 after everything is accounted for and with zero proffit on my end. There isn't much discounting on the boards, just saved $$ on multiple board shipping.
I did do a volume buy on wall warts already. I ordered 14 of them. They are regulated +/-12VCD and 5VDC with plenty of juice for MANY IC's. I doubt I will get stuck with these. I'll just ebay them if needs be.
Mark, Glad you figured it out. Regardless of enclosure, you are SPL limited by displacement. It doesn't matter how big of a box and how much power you have, a sealed box (or IB) can not put out more SPL that it has displacement for. I believe you had the maelstrom and I sent you a big email trying to help you out there.
Tony
==Tony

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I have a couple of questions. I already sent a PM to Anthony saying thanks for all his efforts and telling him that I don't want (for now) the LT because Im still finishing a Vented Tempest.
But I wonder. Are there any advantages of a sealed sub compared to a well designed vented sub? I know, the tricky part here is "well designed", but lets just asume it is. :D
This is because I can easily close the port on my sub and "transform it" in a sealed one... or if the sealed sub has more quality (confusing part for me) I might end canceling my vented sub!
(Anthony, the sad part of all this is that I didn't think on it until now! I guess you have already ordered everything!) :b

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Mark, like Tony G. :p) states, your deep bass SPL is limited by the clean Vd of the driver. Box size basically dictates how much power it takes to reach Xmax at a given frequency.
The bigger the box, the more efficient in the deep bass, and the less power the voice coil has to deal with...a good thing. :) This is very clearly illustrated in the LT spreadsheet, leaving all else the same you can watch wattage go up as box size goes down. In fact, in a very small box, you can actually reach Pe (the thermal limit of the driver) before you reach Xmax.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Manuel,
A sealed box has a better transient responce, lower group delay, is smaller, is very forgiving of box volume errors, does not require a rumble filter to prevent uloading of the driver, has a higher F3, and cannot play as loud in the low Hz region as a ported box
A ported box has a worse transient responce, higher group delay, is larger , is not forgiving of box volume errors, does require a rumble filter to prevent uloading of the driver, has a lower F3, and can play as louder in the low Hz region than a sealed box.
and I have not ordered anything except 14power supplies and the pins. I will order the rest when $$ comes in. I am as fast or slow as the people ordering them ;)
(FYI, when the LT is turned off (I'll be using DPDT switches), it bypassed the whole unit so you can play the sub uneffected by the LT without having to disconnect it)

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I think I finally understand this LT stuff now. Now what I would like to know is what sound is in the 10 to 20 Hz range, 20 to 25Hz and 25 to 30 Hz. I listen to mostly music but I do watch DVDs - but my wife starts squinting when the SPL goes over 95 dB ( not the very low bass though, unless shes in the other room)I have heard of people tring to get down into the teens for their HT, do I need to go below 25 Hz for most HT stuff? This applies to the numbers I need for the LT Fco for the speaker I want to use.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Mark, with most music, you are 30hz on up. Some rap, techno and new age are an exception. Organ music goes all the way to 16hz.

The goal of most home theater people is to produce cleanly to 20hz. 25-35hz (imo) is where the hit you in the chest bass is. 20-30 is what usually shakes up the house. the low twenty and teens you usually can't hear, but it is what you feel. If you like explosions, then you definately want 20-30hz. More and more movies have the really low

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hey peoples,
I cannot order the stuff till I have peoples $$ and their actual and wanted Qtc/Fb.
So far 5 of you have paid (thanks!) and 2 have given me their values (thanks again!).
the ball is in your court. I can order with the paymentand values in limbo from 1 or 2 of you but not over half.
There is no rush for me other than wanting you guys to get your LT to you guys ASAP:D

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
All this came up so fast that I really don't know which way to go. Have you set it up with parts for my twin Tempest, or have it for later with the Tumults. Too many variables there yet, me thinks, although that's the intended application. Hate to design around something that's not available yet.

Oh well, a few bucks in parts later on won't hurt, I guess. Time to look at the Tempest app for real again.

Pete

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Tony, as I posted, what's the price for bare boards? What's the price for the basic board components? Let me know and then I'll decide what/how many to order. How do I pay you?

A

Anthony_Gomez

Pete. I understand=) ...ordering the parts will be postponed cause you are not alone=)

Hank, if you want just the bare boards, it is $17.85 shipped. If you want more bare boards add another $13 ..or you can just go through Rod elliot. Pricing can go lower if you want me to ship another method. Above is with priority mail (3.85).
If you want a board stuffed with custom values, it is $40 shipped. Add another for $34. If you want empty sockets to plug in your own values, then take off $2. If you want to solder it up yourself, then take off $5.

The more you strip off, the less of a deal it becomes IMO.
If you are looking at getting several, email me in private ASAP and I can see what I can do.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Friday is the absolute deadline
All orders placed at that time will go. Anything not payed for or previously arrange will not be ordered. If I do not have your custum values, then take $2 off (refund if necessary). For those that afterwards choose their custum values, I will make public my current stock and will let it be a first come first serve deal on those parts. I have tons and tons of resisters (metal film), but only a semi large stock of caps (mylar).
I hope you understand. While I would like to wait for ever to get 1 billion ordered :D, it is not fair for those who have paid and are waiting.
If by some miracle I get in 13 or 14 $75/76 jobbies completely ordered by friday, than I will take a personal cut and randomly refund someone 50%! Nothing like a $38 completely built, cased and shipped Lt for 1/2 off! ( ordered 14 power supplies since people seemed so interested and had 10 on the list with several unconfirmed)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I see this is Rod Elliot's PCB, the guy in Australia. He sells the bare boards for $12 each plus $8 shipping (covers up to 5 or so PCB's, maybe more of these small 1.5" x 3" PCB's). Since you waited for me, I'll order two bare boards, regular mail. And if you have the IC's, two of those also. If I see a need in the future for paying customer subs, I'll order the PCB's direct from Rod.
His price is high for such a small PCB, but I understand that board shops charge an arm and a leg for small orders -I have lots of PCB buying experience. Jon posted a link to what he says is a low cost source for bare boards: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...estTimeout=500
Tony, YGM

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank, I'd guess that it will probably cost a $2 for 1st class mail...so $29 From Rod, it will be $32.....so a little savings. If you want to order from Rod, then feel free to:) I am not really making any money by selling you the boards...maybe change:D woohoo..hehe
Would you want IC sockets as well? How about those pins so you can have the custom values be solderless so you can change them out later by hand? The pins will cost $2 per board (34 per board). The IC's are $0.65 and the sockets are $0.11 each. Add $1 to add into the PE shipping.
If you want everything including the pins:
2+14+13+2*14+(2+.11+.85)+1.=$35.92

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank, I just looked at that link. I'll have to give them a call to see what they can do for me. Perhaps I will go thourough them to get them quicker in the end=)

A

Anthony_Gomez

FYI, you can see my large resistor and capicitor supply. I will be using some of these for the LT's...the values I do not have, I will order (same ones, just different values)
Click here

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, I didn't include my custom values in the envelope with my payment, but I'll definitely get them to you by Thursday. Can't make up my mind. :b I'll almost certainly go with something for my Tempest in 5 ft^3 and change it 'round when I get a Tumult and big amp.
Thanks again for doing this to help out the solder-challenged.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks