What's new

How much interest is there for a Pre-Built Linkwitz Transform? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
anthony,
i do not want to build my own power supply. i think the wall wart idea is THE way to go for this project. unless like some have said, they want to incorporate it into their amps. i too was hoping dan wiggins was going to look at the schematic for the hypex hs500 amp so i could tie into its power supply. he is prob just really busy. but if he can tell us where to tap into the hypex power supply that would free up a wall transformer for someone else. so thats where im at right now...i just dont know if i need the transformer (or the box, rca jacks, etc.) right now. so i guess for now, if you get them all claimed, dont let me hold you up on the sale. i dont mind being bumped down to the bottom of the list. if dan can help with the PS i guess all i need is a circuit board or the trace pattern where i can expose and etch my own.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jeff,
sounds good! I should be able to accomidate any reasonable # of "just built boards" So if I understand correctly, you will for sure want atleast a board, just not sure if you will go the board route or the total package. Correct?

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
correct :emoji_thumbsup:
i'll even take a blank board and a schematic if that helps your "bottom line" or lowers the price for everyone else.
besides, i may want to do some modifications and add a few things. something like Link Removed for a more secure swap method. ya it'll cost a dollar or two more for me but it seems to me a better way to do things. but thats just me.
thanks

A

Anthony_Gomez

If you just want a blank board I can do that for you at cost plus shipping (and a split into the total shipping from AU). It doesn't save me anything since I don't really get much of a discount on the boards end of things...but thanks anyway!
Eitherway, you choose what you want to do:D

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I'm in, this sounds so cool!
Also could a version of this work in a car. One of my employees wants to build a Malestrom for his Tahoe. We were planning on using a sealed box anyway he has 800 watts to play with, we were going to build a box with a .5 Q anyway. With the rise of the car we may not need it, but who knows. I use BassBox pro and X-over pro. I also have a Clio lite system that I just bought and am learning how to use. :crazy: :cool:
I still didnt get an answer on the spreadsheet question about the resistance entries for the amp,(how do you determine them) the results show the speaker is over driven and the amp is over driven :confused: :crazy:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

Some of the response curves I've looked at actually were more flat down low with the HP filter activated. I'll have to double check, but I think I had it somewhere between 10-16Hz.

Tony,

Just thought I'd mention that Hank doesn't have internet access at home. So he won't see this thread again until Monday and therefore won't be able to respond within 24 hours.

Brian

A

Anthony_Gomez

Mark, a car is only 12vdc, not + AND - 12vdc. if you want to build a power circuit to get the minus too, then you are good. For the amp resistance, you may have it in a manual. I normally just use a 0.1ohm series resistance for the amp and cable combined. Mark, email me your current Qtc and Fb (use Unibox to calculate) ...let me know the Qtc you want, and how loud you want, and I will recommend something
[email protected]
Jack, there is a 1st order "rumble filter" more commonly known as the Buffer circuit. It is REQUIRED. I think it is currently set at 13hz. I will tell you how to modify to lower the Fc of the buffer if it is too high when you use it...or I can try and drop it down with raising the cap (space becomes an issue with high value mylar caps since I think the R=120kohms. Fc=1/(2*PI*R*C) IIRC).
...so, you will not see the big drop like you would with a 2nd order (which is really common) at 18hz. alternately, you can compinsate for this by adjusting your target Qtc by lowering it and the Fb. :)
Brian, Thanks for telling me about Hank, I will keep him on the list and hold him a spot till he returns:)
Doug, Let me hold to the 24hr deadline that I posted earlier. AFAIK, hank just wanted the board since he would hard wire in. Unless all the people on the pending list say they want it by tomorrow morning (10amPST...or when I check :), which ever is later), then you are on the list for the complete kit:D

A

Anthony_Gomez

Count them. 605 (one got mangled) machine pins removed one at a time with needle nose pliers out of 6 silicon socket chips that did not willingly let go of the pins. With Lord of the Rings in the backgroud, 3 pin punctures that nicely drew blood, and a blister , you now have all of your pins for parts swapping:D These get soldered to the board and your caps/resistors get securely set in the pins by hand. See the trouble I go through for you guys :D

A

Anthony_Gomez

No Jeff, unless you want all the parts soldered in, you get machine pins :D
VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT for those of you who have NOT ordered.
I have met the 10 people ordering minimum.
Brian Bunge
Tom K
Scott Donnelly
Jack Gilvey
Pete Mazz
Mark_E_Smith
Greg Peniston
Dan Wesnor
Doug E
Greg Yeatts
One spot is held for hank on the completed units for Hank
Jeff, there is an opening if you want the completed one:)
I will send out an email later today with payment info and custom values info. I will order all the supplies probably on monday evening. ANYONE WHO STILL WANTS ONE needs to place an order with me by then. I will order enough supplies for 14 complete units, cut will not have the custom values after I order. Price on these remaining units will be increased probably to $85 shipped to the lower 48 states.
Anyone below still want one (I know about you jeff)? There are still atleast 3 spots open at $75 fot a completed system. I can also sell just the raw custom values board w/o any case/power stuff if you want to hard wire it in for $40 (do so at your own risk).
Hank Frankenberg (spot held till monday afternoon PST)
Bill Fagal
Fred Seger
Manuel Delaflor
Jeff Rosz
Jason Hammerly
Kyle Richardson

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
great job anthony
even though im not ordering a complete unit, at $75 its a steal compared to whats out there. do count me in for a bare naked circuit board and a schematic. i should have all the parts i need right here. but keep those pins :laugh:
cheers

A

Anthony_Gomez

FINAL ORDERING INFO HAS BEEN EMAILED. Everyone below except for Tom K was just sent an email on final ordering info. Tom, I sent you a PM since your email wasn't public.
Brian Bunge
Tom K
Scott Donnelly
Jack Gilvey
Pete Mazz
Mark_E_Smith
Greg Peniston
Dan Wesnor
Doug E
Greg Yeatts
Jeff Rosz
Everyone above is getting a complete system except for Jeff who is just getting the board.
There are 4 more open slots if anyone wants in on the LT ..well, 3 if Hank gets one, but he just said that he was only interested in the built board option. I should hear from him on monday.
SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE. Orders are going in tuesday morning at the latest, so that is the deadline for extras (though I will probably get supplies for all 14)...just not the custom values..but I might have extras to meet that need :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

(ONLY APPLIES FOR THOSE ORDERING AN LT)
Guys, may or may not interest you. I have a handfull of other supplies that may interest some of you. With all my cable building, I have some extra cable building supplies. If you want to build some nice RCA's this might be a good option for you=)
I'll have to check stock to see what quantity I have, but here are the items.
Belden 89259
1/4" Techflex braided Jacket (black)
Dayton Locking barrel RCA's
Heatshrink:
1/2"= black adhesive and non-adhesive
3/8=black, red, white, yellow, blue, green
1/4"=black, red
You could get these from me at the normal selling price plus $1-2 extra in shipping with the LT. Why would you get them from me at the normal price? You can avoid paying shipping from the different sources to get this stuff (which adds up really quick) and you avoid having to buy 100ft+ spools of 89259 (I got a 165ft spool to start with).
I could offer this as an unassembled kit.
Figure heatshrink is ~0.09/inch, 89259 is 1.10/ft, techflex is 0.30/ft, and the locking RCA's are $11 for 4.
I have NO idea how much I can accomidate till I see what supplies I have when I go back to school in a few days.
If you are really really lazy, or uncomfortable with soldering, I can see what I can do...just contact me if that applies :p
First people who email me get priority. Just tell me what you need and I will do what I can to accomidate as many as possible.
AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ARE GETTING LT's FROM ME
..aren't perks grand :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Tony, good work and it's appreciated. Since I've found out the Tumult approximate price, I can't afford one, so I have no immediate need for an LT configured, but I want a board, schematic and basic parts for the board.

Suggestion: If most people are capable of stuffing and soldering their own boards, why not consider ordering a volume of bare boards. I'd order a few to several, depending on price. You might also do a volume buy on appropriate wall warts for those who want to build a separate circuit in a box (as opposed to guys like me who want to put it inside a plate amp and tap off the plate amp power supply). PCB's are almost always the toughest part of a DIY project unless you roll your own (been there, and don't want the hassle any more). What do yo think?

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I am still having some problems with the LT spread sheet, it seems to need a amp of about 3000 watts at 20 Hz. I also noticed that the "calculated box" has a Qtc double of what it is suposed to be.:confused:
Anyway I realized that the corrected Qtc of the box only describes the roll-off so if I wanted a flat response down to 20 Hz and roll off preety fast after that I could target a Qtc of 1.00 and but would not sound like a Qtc of 1 in the flat portion of the curve but the sound of the real Q of the box? Am I starting to get it?
Anthony, Can I e-mail you the Ltp file so you can see what I am doing wrong?
Edit: Now I know what I was doing wrong, and figured out the missing pieces of understanding and why you guys are interested in the Tunult. It all comes down to Xmax and power handling the sub cannot output more than the max spl@ the Xmax if this occurs in the range that you want that is the spl limit of the sub!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks