What's new

How much does it cost to properly scan and transfer Ultra Panavision 70/MGM Camera 65 Films? (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I do not think that anybody wants Warner to release less high quality releases. But many people would rather see a lesser release for some titles instead of no release at all.
Which was the original point of the Warner Archive Collection, when they started releasing a bucket load of films on DVD-R instead of working on them to be BD-worthy. While I understand the lack of desire to buy a DVD-R from them when you could theoretically have a superior BD, if it's a matter of really wanting the films...

I don't have very many of WAC's DVD-R releases, but I do have some of them, because I want the films.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Which was the original point of the Warner Archive Collection, when they started releasing a bucket load of films on DVD-R instead of working on them to be BD-worthy. While I understand the lack of desire to buy a DVD-R from them when you could theoretically have a superior BD, if it's a matter of really wanting the films...

I don't have very many of WAC's DVD-R releases, but I do have some of them, because I want the films.
I also have some of their DVD-R releases and they were all quite bad even by DVD standards.

That is the nice thing about a not so great Blu-ray: Usually it will be somewhere in between best DVD of that movie and a really good Blu-ray which is already a lot better than those DVD-R releases.

As of now I will not buy any physical media from them but I have some movies in digital form that they refuse to release on Blu-ray like for example Ryan's Daughter or Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid. They do not look as good as a Blu-ray looks but much better than the DVD versions.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I also have some of their DVD-R releases and they were all quite bad even by DVD standards.

That is the nice thing about a not so great Blu-ray: Usually it will be somewhere in between best DVD of that movie and a really good Blu-ray which is already a lot better than those DVD-R releases.

As of now I will not buy any physical media from them but I have some movies in digital form that they refuse to release on Blu-ray like for example Ryan's Daughter or Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid. They do not look as good as a Blu-ray looks but much better than the DVD versions.
Where are you streaming the better looking version of Pat Garrett ? Yes, the 2 DVD set of that film (all of the versions) doesn't look as good as it could. I'm a huge Peckinpah fan and would love to see better transfers of those cobbled together versions. Paul Seydor is the expert on the troublesome original elements. And money is an issue.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Two observations:

Shooting digitally, you can choose any aspect ratio you want. When we shot Biffle & Shooster's "deleted scene" from MAD MAD WORLD, we composed the set-ups knowing it would be matted to 2.76. Looks quite authentic, and proves you can achieve the effect without blowing a wad on film stock, cameras and lenses.

There are plenty of programs that can make digital look like film. My genius editor Bill Russell did such a tremendous job making the B&S Vitaphone short look and sound like it came from battered materials (including a slug with a bad-splice jump) that even Nick Santa Maria couldn't believe his eyes and ears--and he's in it!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Where are you streaming the better looking version of Pat Garrett ? Yes, the 2 DVD set of that film (all of the versions) doesn't look as good as it could. I'm a huge Peckinpah fan and would love to see better transfers of those cobbled together versions. Paul Seydor is the expert on the troublesome original elements. And money is an issue.

Bought it on itunes for I believe $4.99, it is an older HD master and it is 115 minutes long.
I have not even watched it yet but checked out the picture quality which is a nice improvement over the DVD.
I have gotten it in preparation for rewatching the Peckinpah westerns.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The quality of Warner Archive DVD-Rs varies enormously. I too have some very poor discs - Saratoga Trunk, The Time, The Place And The Girl - but I also have several really good ones. The variation in quality of the discs reflects the variation in quality of the elements. It's not caused by the DVD format.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The quality of Warner Archive DVD-Rs varies enormously. I too have some very poor discs - Saratoga Trunk, The Time, The Place And The Girl - but I also have several really good ones. The variation in quality of the discs reflects the variation in quality of the elements. It's not caused by the DVD format.
All the discs I checked were single layer even for longer movies and therefore some had relatively low bitrate when I checked back in the day. I think the last one I watched was WESTBOUND and that also looked really rough.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I still have a decent HD transfer of Pat Garrett on my Tivo from when TCM were showing it, & it looks very good, but unfortunately it's the Seydor cut & I much prefer the Turner cut. I think you need both of those cuts (just like the DVD set), but I do think it's going to be a job finding all the negative bits to scan to make both versions & maybe for some shots they'd have to use an interpos. or some dupe. There was a buzz over at blu-ray.com when a film maker revealed that he'd done a commentary & word is that Criterion are working on it. We'll see.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Is there any reason why Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet has not yet entered this discussion?

"We shot on 65mm film because we see our "Hamlet", the complete Hamlet, as an epic film. An epic film demands an epic format. One which gives us absolute quality. One that gives nearly four times the picture information in each frame, relative to 35mm.

We had not previously used 65mm so we sought advice from many technically qualified people - including the processing laboratory. Their answers reinforced our inclination that Kodak film would give us the best result. It did. The results are fantastically crisp and clear."

Alex Thomson, BSC - Director of Photography

The experience of seeing it theatrically (billed as 70mm) was striking - a visual masterpiece that, in no way, was duplicated on Warner Bros. glossily packaged, but otherwise, very inaccurately balanced Blu-ray release from some years ago. Just saying.

This one deserves a complete remaster, and in 4K from 65 or 70mm elements. Can't imagine these have faded all that much in the brief interim.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
A BIT MORE ON HAMLET

"I decided not to use filters. It would be pointless to strive for the finest possible images by using 65mm and then to degrade those same images by using filters. It was the right decision. The film is so sharp it almost looks like 3D; the quality is amazing."

Nick Milner - 2nd Unit Camera Operator

"The designers gave us absolutely fantastic sets. The extra quality of the bigger format reproduced such brilliant images perfectly."

Neil Farrell - Editor

"Compared with 35mm, filming in 65mm allows directors to make much greater use of wide shots because of its enhanced definition and detail. This is particularly true with Hamlet, where magnificent costumes and sets of stunning opulence are shown in their full splendor."

David Appleby - Grip

"I had a brilliant time filming in 65mm. We did some fabulous 360° tracks around the magnificent set, where all the rooms and corridors had been built on the same level. An unforgettable experience."
h_192_3.jpg
Antony Hunt - SFX, Magic Camera Company

"We made our traditional matte paintings about twice the normal size and filmed them on 65mm 5293. When cloning soldiers digitally in the bigger format we needed a lot more storage and computer memory. Otherwise making SFX for 65mm is essentially the same as for 35mm. It is only the superior finished quality that highlights the differences!"

Chyna Thomson - Focus-puller

"Filming in 65mm sharpens the mind of the focus-puller unbelievably! On close-ups there is little depth of field to work with. And Kenneth made us push the boundaries of film making to extremes. We did the most incredible close-ups - despite the lack of depth. But 65mm is beautiful. You see so much more colour; so much more detail in the actors and their costumes. It's a wonderful format."

Martin Kenzie - Camera Operator

"You see such a big picture in the viewfinder it is not easy to encompass everything in one look. It was a fantastic experience to work on such an epic production and to see the results of your efforts on screen. So outstandingly resolved and sharp."

Bob Crowdey - Technicolor

"Some people think that 65mm is the format of yesterday. They're wrong. It is the format of tomorrow.

As film budgets get bigger, the small increase to the overall cost of production using the larger format becomes a smaller percentage. If the film contains spectacle, grandeur, breathtaking panoramic scenes - then there are very good reasons for shooting on 65mm. In marketing terms, the added value of the superior picture quality easily outweighs the small cost increase."

"Come, give us a taste of your quality"
NOW LET'S BE PRACTICAL

h_192_4.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm also a fan of Branagh's Hamlet, but I was so let down by the pq of the digibook blu-ray that I got rid of it several years ago. But now I regret not having it, because I'd like to watch it again. Who owns the 1996 Hamlet, anyway? The blu-ray came from Warner, but the movie seems to have been released originally by Columbia/Sony. If Columbia/Sony own it then maybe they'll include it on one of their 4K boxed sets?

H.Branagh's Screenplay 00.jpg hamlet winslet.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 8.39.46 AM.png

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Is there any reason why Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet has not yet entered this discussion?

"We shot on 65mm film because we see our "Hamlet", the complete Hamlet, as an epic film. An epic film demands an epic format. One which gives us absolute quality. One that gives nearly four times the picture information in each frame, relative to 35mm.

We had not previously used 65mm so we sought advice from many technically qualified people - including the processing laboratory. Their answers reinforced our inclination that Kodak film would give us the best result. It did. The results are fantastically crisp and clear."

Alex Thomson, BSC - Director of Photography

The experience of seeing it theatrically (billed as 70mm) was striking - a visual masterpiece that, in no way, was duplicated on Warner Bros. glossily packaged, but otherwise, very inaccurately balanced Blu-ray release from some years ago. Just saying.

This one deserves a complete remaster, and in 4K from 65 or 70mm elements. Can't imagine these have faded all that much in the brief interim.
Certainly the thread title would not indicate that it should be included but then this goes for many movies that have been mentioned :)

I had a different reaction to seeing it (and Far and Away) theatrically as I did not find that it had the cinematography that would have made it evident why it should have been shot in 70mm but I am aware that others had a much different reaction, maybe I saw a bad print.

In any case this should be an easy one if Warner wants to release it in better quality, it is just a matter of going.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I still have a decent HD transfer of Pat Garrett on my Tivo from when TCM were showing it, & it looks very good, but unfortunately it's the Seydor cut & I much prefer the Turner cut. I think you need both of those cuts (just like the DVD set), but I do think it's going to be a job finding all the negative bits to scan to make both versions & maybe for some shots they'd have to use an interpos. or some dupe. There was a buzz over at blu-ray.com when a film maker revealed that he'd done a commentary & word is that Criterion are working on it. We'll see.
I also prefer the Turner cut although not by that much. Would be nice to have all three or at least the two longer cuts on Blu-ray.
Criterion would be perfect as this is a movie with the potential for lots of extras and they can give us all the different versions.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Who owns the 1996 Hamlet, anyway? The blu-ray came from Warner, but the movie seems to have been released originally by Columbia/Sony. If Columbia/Sony own it then maybe they'll include it on one of their 4K boxed sets?

It was a Castle Rock film, so...as far as I can tell, Warner owns the bulk of the Castle Rock catalog.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Certainly the thread title would not indicate that it should be included but then this goes for many movies that have been mentioned :)

I had a different reaction to seeing it (and Far and Away) theatrically as I did not find that it had the cinematography that would have made it evident why it should have been shot in 70mm but I am aware that others had a much different reaction, maybe I saw a bad print.

In any case this should be an easy one if Warner wants to release it in better quality, it is just a matter of going.
By the time these film were released, projecting 70mm, which is an art unto itself, was in a bad place. The images captured on film are not always accurately projected.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
By the time these film were released, projecting 70mm, which is an art unto itself, was in a bad place. The images captured on film are not always accurately projected.
While that is certainly true, the image quality on Warner's Blu was decidedly NOT what was intended by Branagh or his cinematographer - piggy pink flesh tones, and nowhere near the amount of fine detail anticipated throughout. Warner's Blu was a brightly colored, occasionally gaudy affair, sans grain, minute detail and otherwise, all the virtues a large format image should have easily produced in 1080p and would very nicely reproduce in 4K. Here's to hoping...anyway!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While that is certainly true, the image quality on Warner's Blu was decidedly NOT what what intended - piggy pink flesh tones, and nowhere near the amount of fine detail anticipated throughout. Warner's Blu was a brightly colored, occasionally gaudy affair, sans grain, minute detail and otherwise, all the virtues a large format image should have easily produced in 1080p and would very nicely reproduce in 4K. Here's to hoping...anyway!
No one is making excuses for the old Blu, which was presumably derived from 35mm.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
No one is making excuses for the old Blu, which was presumably derived from 35mm.
Totally agree, Robert. I just consider myself extremely fortunate to have seen Branagh's masterpiece in a theater and was absolutely blown away by it on virtually every artistic level. 70mm was merely one of the movie's many, far-reaching attributes. Best.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

Actually, Robert, you've brought up a great point I sincerely wish you'd elaborate upon, namely, how does a projectionist create the best visual representation of the filmmaker's original work on the screen in the theater. What sort of projector calibrations do they perform, and do they follow any notes from the studio as to what is expected to ensure the image looks as the filmmaker's intended? Any light you could shed (no pun intended) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks