What's new

How is the Samsung DVD-HD931 ? (1 Viewer)

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
I actually just picked up this player, with a Sony rear projection CRT (the KP46WT510) and I think it displays a fantastic picture. But...to be honest, I don't have a whole lot to compare it too. When deciding on a DVD player I was comparing the Denon DVD910 to the Samsung on the Sony and liked the Samsung more.

When comparing 480p to 480p, the Denon had a better picture to my eyes, but when you flipped up to 720p or 1080i on the Sammy, I just felt that the picture was better overall. Again, my eyes aren't that experienced, this setup being my first foray into HDTV and progressive scan DVD. Maybe I was just duped seeing the 720p/1081 specs :eek:

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
There is no doubt it provides a sharper and brighter more vibriant picture than my Lite On 2001 scaling to 1080i over component on my Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD.

Does that make it better? Not sure...My 2 good Superbit DVD's have been loaned out(Starship Troopers and 5th Element). I bought The One in Superbit when I bought the DVD player and its a poor Superbit title.

I played around with T2:Extreme Edition for a bit and there is more sharpness in all scenes and the first hospital scene where Linda Hamilton is doing pull ups the detail in her arms is amazing and the first BIG difference I noticed between it and the component Lite On at 1080i.

Lot less adjustability, you have what you get and I cannot find any reference in the manual as to what DVI Mode A and B is, even though the option is in the menu.

You get more of the film look than with the Lite On, which I guess deppending on the quality of the DVD is either a good or bad thing. I have Adaptation in Superbit but its almost too 'filmy' for me to watch.

Two things to consider, I've tuned the TV over the component on the Lite On and have not done the same with the DVI on the Samsung. Also I'm using a DVI computer cable that came with my LCD monitor, but I personally believe that with DVI it doesn't matter the quality of the cable. On the flip side with the LO I was just using cheap RCA's for component until I decided which route I was going with component/DVI.

I'd say if you don't have a scaling DVD player its well worth the money. Do I consider it worth the money...yes because I can pretty much fetch for my LO the price I paid for it on Ebay and I bought an open box unit at Best Buy for $229 + Tax, so this is a minimal/free upgrade for me.

Better idea tommorow when I get Starship Troopers back, it has some of the most detailed close ups I've seen. If you remember the guy who posted the pics of The Hulk on his ED Plasma the details in the faces were amazing, super realistic. I get close to that with ST on the Lite On, hopefully with the Samsung and DVI I can match that on my Sony unit.

Wes_G

Auditioning
I have had mine for a couple weeks now and find the picture to be unmatched. There is a problem with screen shift, however. This is the reason for the DVI mode A/B. If you notice one mode will shift the screen over a little bit more than the other. You must get the firmware update in order to correct this issue (and some other issues with DVI possibly), but supposedly it should correct the problem. I am still waiting on my firmware disc, but if it does fix the screen shift I will be keeping it. If not it's going back before the 30 days are up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks