What's new

Help me find the best DVD player for me!!! (1 Viewer)

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
TV is a Toshy 51H83. Receiver is a Onkyo 797 THX 6.1. Speakers are Paradigm Cinema 70's(satilites). I have been looking at the Samsung HD931. I just can't remember how you guys rated this player. I understand it doesn't produce actual high definition but just upgrades everything. Does this still make it a better player. I can save money since I have prob 170 in Bestbuy Gift cards so I would prob be paying about 100 out of my pocket for it. Or is there something else I should consider. I really am not concerned with the whole region thing cause i don't want any foreign Dvd's. I just get alot of new releases and like my widescreen. I will spend up to $300 maybe more if its worth it. What does everyone suggest. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Mike Capulli

Stunt Coordinator
I have a very similar TV.. the Hitachi 65s500. I gotta tell you I bought the HD931 and had it for a few days and returned it.

I think the picture is quite good with the DVI. However I has having really bad audio sync problems. The audio on most DVD's would begin too quick, then it would slowly sync up, then it would start to fall behind and the audio would be too slow. It was quite annoying. The player also cropped my DVD's pretty poorly going to the TV. Like Ive mentioned in a few other posts, in the THX Certification intro, the entire right border was cropped off. So, the bad things about this player outweighed the good.

Im going to see if i cant find any different DVI players... otherwise im probably going to get a good component / progressive player like a denon 1200 or a panny RP82 equivalent.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
For $300 I'd purchase the Denon 910. Nice, serviceable, progressive scan player with both optical and coaxal audio outputs. The $300 and under players with DVI upscaling, all seem to have their problems to some degree and the only other options for that type of player is $$$$$$$$$$.

Mort

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Now does that denon come in silver and also does it have the DVI input. I don't mind doing just nice component cables, but i wanted to take full advantage of the DVI. Any other recomendations. I think the HD 931 is out of the picture. I will just use my best buy cards for something else...lol

Mike

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I think only the 2200/2900 Denon units are available in silver, but none of those offer DVI input. DVI will usually only show improvement on a fixed pixel display (LCD, DLP, plasma, etc)

Mort

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Roughly how much does the 2200 cost on the market. I know the 2900 is close to $700. Is the other one more reasonable? Also would you take a denon dvd plaver over one of the classic Pannys with that Fjougi(don't know how to spell it) Chip that came in the XP30 and XP92. Thanks

Mike

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I just got a Denon 910 this past week. I'll be using it heavily the next 30 days before I decide if I want to keep it. So far I can only comment on the interlaced picture. I take delivery of a Hitachi 51S700 on Saturday 12/27. Interlaced picture on a 27" Toshiba is better than my old Toshiba SD-1200 but that isn't saying much.

I can comment on the build and functionality. The build quality is about what I expected. Not the greatest but better than most cheaper players. It is very basic when it comes to features but it has two nice features that suprised me. It will save your spot after pressing stop, even if you turn the unit off. Alot of newer players do not do this even though my old Toshiba did.

The MP3 playback is nice since it will read ID3 tags and display them on the screen. I can browse folders and it lists all the song names within those folders. My parents have a Panasonic and all it will do is give you a track number, 14/156 doesn't help in navigating an MP3 CD.

The layer change is average at best. There is a pause but no longer than I'm used to.

The most important thing I want to test is the player's progressive output to the new Hitachi RPTV I'm getting. Now as long as Sears doesn't delay the delivery date again I'll find out this weekend.

Jeff Drumm

Grip
Are you sure that it's reading MP3 tags, or is it simply displaying the directory/filename?

FWIW, the Pioneer DV563A will remember the point you left off when its powered down, and displays directories and filenames for MP3 files. It will also play MP3 files from a DVD-R, which is pretty cool; lots of storage there.

And the icing on the cake is its DVD/A and SACD playback capability. Since it normally sells for $170-180 at BB, you even get to keep your scratch :)

Mike Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff and everyone else. I think I have decided on getting the Pioneer. I have always liked their products and that DVD player does everything I need and more. Awsome suggestion. Thanks alot

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks