Samsung DVD-HD931 Progressive Scan DVD Player with DVI output for $234.94 shipped!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Parker Clack, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Amazon.com has the Samsung DVD-HD931 Progressive Scan DVD Player with DVI output and Upconversion to 720p & 1080i. Latest Faroudja Chip, the FLI2300! Just $234.94 Shipped!

You get a progressive scan DVD player with DVI output that can upconvert to 720p & 1080i. Get it before they raise their prices. You know how Amazon LOVES to do that.

Click here.

Parker

2. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Great price, but I hear it's not worth it if unless you can utilize the DVI-out (otherwise picture is not that great). I would think though that component output would be at least equal if not superior to most other players given that it sports the new FLI2300 Faroudja chip.

EDIT: Looks like the player utilizes the Faroudja deinterlacer ONLY through the DVI out

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Interesting. Maybe that is why the price has been dropped on it. I would be interested to hear what others that have used it have to say about it with just the regular progressive outs on it.

Parker

4. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I have one, bought it BECAUSE of the DVI output and the upconversion. Don't know why you would want to buy it or any of the other upconverting DVD players if you don't have a DVI input on your TV, as this is the only way to get the upconversion feature AFAIK.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

1. The pseudo HD mode can only be shown using DVI
    2. The first release of this model is plagued with picture problem. You'll need to call Samsung and ask for firmware update on CD-ROM. The firmware update CD-ROM is easy to obtain in the US but virtually impossible to be obtained in Canada (they don't know what you're talking about)
    3. If you live in Canada, watch out for grossly incompetent people at Samsung.
    4. Oh yeah, nice picture, but I've returned mine. It's not worth the (approx) US$300 price (street price in Canada).

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

The component outputs of the HD931 use the all-in-one LSI Logic chip (which is also used as an MPEG decoder with the Faroudja chip) for deinterlacing. This deinterlacing chip is not bad, but it's the same one you could get with a cheaper Samsung progressive scan player. If you don't use the DVI output (which also requires an HDCP-compliant display), there's no reason to buy the HD931.

The CD firmware upgrade only addresses HDCP compliance and picture shift problems with Sony and Toshiba displays.

7. Jon Musil

Jon Musil Stunt Coordinator

Get it before they raise their prices. You know how Amazon LOVES to do that.

Well Parker...

Amazon is selling it for $269.99 + shipping now!!

I just bought one from TheNerds.com for $232.01 + 15.66 s/h for a total of $247.67!

Since I just got the new HLN467W DLP, I can and will utilize the DVI output and hope/expect it to be 100% compatible.

Jon

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

It was not plagued with picture problems. There were a few sets that would not work with 1080i mode and the firmware fixes that.

And yes, without DVI, this is just their baseline player.
    With DVI, it rivals the 2$k+ players.

Doug

9. Jon Musil

Jon Musil Stunt Coordinator

This unit doesn't happen to come with a DVI cable does it? I ordered it yesterday with no customer service available to ask questions. Thanks!

10. David Susilo

"It was not plagued with picture problems. There were a few sets that would not work with 1080i mode and the firmware fixes that."

Uhmm, a player that supposed to display 1080i but can't work with 1080i is what I considered as "plagued with picture problems".

This problem is on EVERY first-run player.

Although the firmware fixes that, like I mentioned, it's virtually impossible to get the firmware CD from Samsung because they don't even know about the problem.

11. Rick Anderson

Sorry David, but you're totally wrong. It was not only possible, it was incredibly easy to get the firmware update. I got my player, saw the problem, called Samsung and had the firmware update 3 days later.

12. David Susilo

Well, congratulations to you then. I bought two of those players (one for my dad) the first week it was released in Canada (about a month after the release in the US, that's how I know about the firmware update), and it took more than 3 weeks of calling Samsung multiple times before getting the firmware. After updating the firmware one player locked up and the other worked for a week before it dies.

My office also bought several units for demo purposes and they had the same problems (locking up and spindle motor dies after several weeks of usage).

I wish I have the good luck like you guys. The PQ itself is great, if you got it working.

13. Rick Anderson

I wonder if the fact you're in Canada had anything to do with it? Perhaps the US and Canada have separate service centers?

14. David Susilo

That's what I said in my first post on this thread

15. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I've just received my Panny 53tw53 about a week ago and having fun with it.

I bought a Panasonic F65K DVD player and I have to say that in my opinion, it is terrible. I don't know what I expected for $129, but I'm new to this and I trusted the Circuit City guy (whoops). Anyway, the picture is terrible, and sometimes is buggy (don't know what it's called, but it looks like the image turns into blocks of colors).

Panasonic website says this set has DVI-HDCP input. (I tried to post a link to the panasonic site, but I haven't been a member long enough)

I'm not sure what this DVI is all about, but from reading this thread it sounds like a good thing. It leads me to a couple of questions.

As I have three devices using component video, but my TV only has two inputs. I am considering a component video switcher, but I might just wait a year or so and see if the

16. Doug Schiller

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks for the heads up Parker. My display has an unsued DVI input and I can use another DVD player.

18. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Lew -

Make sure your display is HDCP compliant or the HD931 will not work in anything but 480p.

Kevin -

No, the HD931 does not come with a DVI cable in the U.S. I've heard it does in some other countries however.

19. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

Are there any other players out there with DVI that people can help provide comparisons with? I searched on Circuit City and didn't find any. I found the Samsung HD931 on Best Buy's website, but in the store the sales kid told me it would be about another week before they had one in the store on display. I'm going to return my "just-bought" panasonic F65k in the next couple of weeks (I have 3 weeks left in my initial 30 days) and will need another one after that. I can't spend any more than $400 and this Samsung sounds like it may be the ticket. Anybody know of a better player for under $400? Also, will other devices use the DVI output? Because my TV only has one DVI input.

Thanks, Kevin

20. Doug Schiller

There is really only two sub $1K DVI players:

Samsung HD931
    Bravo D1

Each have their pluses and minuses.