How is 10 Cloverfield Lane? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91XquatU-ML._SX522_.jpg

Was listening to Howard Stern interview John Goodman while he was promoting this film.

Directed by J.J. Abrahms.

Any good? It's only $10 on Amazon.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My 15 year old really liked it. I haven't watched but plan to one day soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Buying it based on your recommendation.

Noticed it is also Dolby Atmos. That's a huge plus. Thank You.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I thought it was excellent. Most of the film plays like a tribute to Hitchcock and the acting is outstanding. All three leads do a fantastic job and pull you into the story. Basically, it is a tight little thriller that plays out in a survival bunker for the majority of the run time and so it really focuses on the three characters and how they interact while piling on the suspense. I highly recommend it. Honestly, I was shocked by the film because I did not have any interest in Cloverfield, and you don't have to have seen that film nor know anything about it to enjoy this picture because this works entirely as a stand alone film and it is light years better than that film. I think it helps a lot that this is not one of those dismal found footage films...which I admit I am not a fan of.

So, I say dive in the water is great.

Quick question for you, Ron, I know you mentioned elsewhere that you picked up Nocturnal Animals and I am wondering if you have watched that yet and what you thought. I am very curious to read what people thought of this film and of course feel free to respond to this question in one of the threads dedicated to Nocturnal Animals.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Reggie,

Never picked that title up. Was going to stream it instead. However, haven't gotten around to doing that.

I will watch the price on that title. If it drops a bit I will pick it up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
10 Cloverfield Lane is on Hulu, FWIW. I haven't gotten to watch yet, though. Good to know it's recommended. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
10 Cloverfield Lane was directed by Dan Trachtenberg NOT JJ Abrahams. He produced it tho.

Fine film. I think you'll like it Ron.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It's VERY different from the first film, and I second the thought that you don't need to know anything about the first film to enjoy this. I found it very suspenseful and didn't see some of the twists coming at all. A good solid thriller.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. I've had this film in my hands countless times and never pulled the trigger because I've never heard a good thing about it.

And now...this! :D

Another title to add to the pile!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd also recommend 10 Cloverfield Lane - though the producers have said it exists in the same "universe" as Cloverfield, for all intents and purposes, it's a stand-alone movie with no connection or similarities between either the stories being told or the style they're being told in.

I really liked it - it's one of those great late night watches, preferably when you've got the house to yourself. John Goodman delivers a great performance, and the rest of the cast hold their own. I don't know that it's a movie with a lot of rewatch value, but I think it's worth seeing at least once.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's VERY different from the first film, and I second the thought that you don't need to know anything about the first film to enjoy this. I found it very suspenseful and didn't see some of the twists coming at all. A good solid thriller.

Yep, no need to watch the original if you haven't seen it. Lane is pretty much what Halloween III was to the first 2 Halloween movies.

I'd also recommend 10 Cloverfield Lane - though the producers have said it exists in the same "universe" as Cloverfield

I'm not sure that's the exact terminology they used. I think Abrahms refered to the two films as "Blood Relatives". I highly dispute the two stories could have shared the same universe for reasons that, IMO, quickly become apparent as you watch the film......

as it seems pretty clear that the events of the 1st Cloverfield never happened in the Lane story (If so, it would have pretty much been a requirement for Michelle to have been much less skeptical of a disaster or even just to ask "it this like that thing that happened in New York?"). I've heard some people say that perhaps "Lane" is really a prequel, but that is extremely unlikely as Michelle had the most recent iPhone at the time.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Will, I agree that on the face of it, it does seem unlikely that the films are in any way connected or could even take place in the same universe, but that's what I thought I had read. Was there not some sort of interview where Abrams and Co said perhaps a third film would show what the connections were?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'd also recommend 10 Cloverfield Lane - though the producers have said it exists in the same "universe" as Cloverfield, for all intents and purposes, it's a stand-alone movie with no connection or similarities between either the stories being told or the style they're being told in.

I really liked it - it's one of those great late night watches, preferably when you've got the house to yourself. John Goodman delivers a great performance, and the rest of the cast hold their own. I don't know that it's a movie with a lot of rewatch value, but I think it's worth seeing at least once.
Will, I agree that on the face of it, it does seem unlikely that the films are in any way connected or could even take place in the same universe, but that's what I thought I had read. Was there not some sort of interview where Abrams and Co said perhaps a third film would show what the connections were?

They are working on a third film, but what I recall the premise being is that a team of astronauts are working in space and Earth vanishes while they're up there. It appears to me that Cloverfield is an anthology series with maybe some very tangential threads but for all intents and purposes are stand alone stories that don't really share the same universes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks