What's new

How great is the 'Shrek' Transfer... (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Great!
I was very pleased with this transfer. I would say that it is just about up there with "Toy Story 2" ...not quite "Dinosaur" quality, but only a hair less. I only noticed some minor shimmering and color bleeding in one or two spots. GREAT TRANSFER!!! What I was expecting from "Final Fantasy" in terms of a quality transfer, I got from "Shrek".
What does everyone else think???

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was as close to flawless as I've seen. Razor sharp and the fine detail was amazing. The whole picture just comes alive.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's a perfect transfer. The video is flawless...no edge enhancement at all...no shimmering...no bleeding...
The audio is excellent as well...I've only listened to the DTS track, though.
I'm talking about the 1.78:1 transfer, of course. :)
The only transfers even close to this kind of clarity are Fantasia 2000 (another digital-to-digital transfer) and Snow White (technically a digital-to-digital transfer since the DVD is mastered off of the Cineon digital master)
Compare the video of Shrek to the clips used in the HBO special on Disc 1. The HBO clips are from film...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The video was excellent to be sure, but the audio was disappointing. Not reference quality IMHO in either DD or DTS flavors. Slightly harsh music and dialog with subdued dynamic range (plugged up sounding), bass levels, imaging, surround envelopment, and stereo panning (fairly center focused). Quite a mundane mix given the subject matter. The pop music recordings had, well, pop sound quality.
Toy Story 2, as another all digital transfer CGI cartoon as a comparative product, had a wonderful and lively DD EX soundtrack in pretty much every sense including directionalized dialog, plus solid bass and dynamic range(except for the intermittent clipping on the dialog track) that I'm sure would have been even better with a full bitrate, 24 bit DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track; again IMHO. Gary Rydstrom should be commended.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on November 03, 2001 at 11:41 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think it beats out both Dinosaur and Toy Story 1/2. Check out the animation and picture quality when the donkey is running away from the guards after he stops flying. I have never seen DVD look this good.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Dan,
I thought the video was excellent.
Are we the few who came up wanting in the audio? I feel your outline of the audio shortcomings are right in line, and quite accurate.
I was expecting more........ quality.
BOK

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The transfer was so good that Shrek came out of my TV and threw some of his bathing mud onto my head. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe that elephants and artichokes are being compared here as Shrek is most like not a transfer, but rather a porting over of digital files. There would seemingly be no rationale for "tranferring" a film element to video when the original elements were never film.
RAH

AllenD

Second Unit
Great transfer and overall quality. I thought the DD track sounded better than the DTS in the bass department. Anyone else feel the same?
The 3D like PQ is stunning! Characters pop out at you, especially when theres multiple...cast members on screen.
Did anyone check out the "Not my gum-drop buttons" Fun Facts section of disk 2? Any other hidden features that I missed, besides the altenative ending? How about disk 1?

So neil..there was a toy story 1/2? i guess this took place right before part 1?
laugh.gif
wink.gif

[Edited last by andrew steven wells on November 04, 2001 at 04:12 PM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Whether it was a transfer or a digital porting, the outcome was amazing.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
IMHO, Mr. Harris is absolutely correct.
Either rendering the image to DVD resolution, or resampling from a "really high-resolution" digital master results in flawless picture. Discussion of the image quality of a digital movie is usually moot, and it's only when the image is less than stellar either through postprocessing or encoding should it become an issue. And with Shrek, I think the results speak for themselves. :)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Yes, the video on "Shrek" was sort-of 'ported' directly from the source, or rather it was rendered at DVD resolution. But don't forget that it still had to undergo a compression process to MPEG-2 in order to make it fit on DVD.
This process is bound to introduce some new artifacts, but the compression job on "Shrek" is very well done.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Dan.The audio was not that great,even in DTS.I watched Final Fantasy right after Shrek and was blown away by the sound.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The Shrek video is very good - nice 3D look on my DLP projector. Crisp, clear, with vibrant colours.
It's in the Toy Story league for sure.
As for the audio I thought the DTS sounded fine. I'll have to listen to the DD track to see if there is any difference in the bass level.
Tonight - I watch Final Fantasy.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I am wondering why Shrek is not widescreen? You would think it would be. All in all I found the transfer very good.
Perrin

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
perrin, the widescreen version is on disk 2. I made the same mistake when I first popped this DVD in.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Perin,
Are you playing disc #1???
Everbody's copy is in widescreen, if you pop in disc #2
------------------

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Got Shrek as a gift over the weekend. Great looking DVD. However, the soundtrack left me "flat". I viewed the film in DTS. I kept waiting for a scene to make me grin. It never came. I thought for sure that the first scenes with the dragon would at least get my sub going. I even checked to see if my calibration levels had been changed. It just doesn't have much bottom. I thought the music also was not very involving. Great looking but don't expact a Toy Story 2 or Antz sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks