What's new

How do you find time? (1 Viewer)

George See

Second Unit
I don't watch any broadcast TV and hockey is canceled this year :frowning: so i've got plenty of time to watch movies. That's pretty much my secret I don't watch TV.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I'm an excersize freak, so I tend to throw on a movie while I workout. Throw in watching something during breakfast and going to bed at night, and there's my routine.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can watch my TV shows on DVD when I am doing stuff around the house, but I need "optimal" conditions when watching movies. That's what puts me behind. I need to sit in a dark room, alone, and be able to fully immerse myself in the movie. I don't want to watch one where I may fall asleep half way through (due to the fac that I don't get a chance to start watching tv until after 8 or 9pm), so it's hard to fit 'movie time' in.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I take a different approach. I let my free time control my spending. I prefer to have about 12-15 unwatched movies at any one time. Sometimes I get higher and sometimes lower, but in general, if I have too much unwatched material, I simply don't buy any more.

With that method, I don't end up with a large unwatched pile and I don't overspend. Also a nice chunk of things I think I really want eventually just fall off my wishlist so I don't end up with a lot of garbage.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

As usual, Ron puts it best.

This is why my unwatched pile doesn't bother me in the least. and given that my unwatched pile isn't very big and that I don't watch a lot of TV and don't have the kind of money to devote to it as others do, I don't suspect it will bother me for quite a long time to come.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
In my case I watch a DVD the same day or so that I buy it. If I buy 3, I watch them on three successive night/days. I have almost 1000 DVDs and have watched every single one of them despite having a demanding job and family. It's what I do to relax.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Same here Chuck...minus the demanding job and family that is.

... and the 1000 DVDs, but I usually watch mine when I get em. I can't resist.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
In one of these threads, someone related it to a book library. I doubt that everyone with a giant library of books, has read them ALL.

Dan_V

Agent
With a seven month old baby and working 50-60 hrs. a week including nights and weekends it's hard to find time to commit to a two hour movie let alone anything longer. I finally got around to watching Matrix Revolutions and ROTK last week, not the EE, but the theatrical version( I still haven't even watched my EE of the Two Towers ).I still haven't made it through the Star Wars Trilogy (watched the first two).I do manage to watch a lot of commentaries in half hour to an hour segments on my portable dvd player when I'm online so it makes me feel a little less guilty but when I think of everything I own and how long it will take me to watch it all (I have around 330 dvd's) it kind of mind boggling. I haven't really slowed down my collecting, though. I have been trying to catch up on my TV sets because it's easier to find 30-45 mins.to spare, but I still have 6 season sets that are unwatched.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I have nearly 150 movies in my collection I have yet to watch, although Every Single One of them is no longer in shrinkwrap. When purchasing movies, I intend to *make* time to view each and every one of them, although my stack of shame rises with each passing month.

*sigh* I really have to be selective this year. One DVD/boxset a month, and it has to be something I really want. I'll spend the rest of the year playing catch-up.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
No cable or satalite TV is my solution. I just watch the DVDs I want to watch rather than the hours of commercials on television. I work pretty late during the week alot and have far too many hobbies, but I usually find time to watch as movie or two during the week. Plus, I watch the audio commentaries in half hour blocks on my lunch break.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ron did put it best.

Perhaps I'm greedy, stupid or just plain crazy but I want the biggest collection that I can aford. I've got hundreds of unwatched discs, got at least 15 new ones for Christmas but today I had to run to Borders and get 8 more. I ordered 2 off the net when I got home and from 01/05-03/05, I've got at least 50 on my "to buy" list.

I've honestly thought about opening up a video store because when I walk into Best Buy, Blockbuster or any other video store around here I have to laugh because my collection is a lot bigger. I have to drive 50 miles to get what I want because the stores around here really don't carry much of the older stuff.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This comment isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I find it interesting to note that people are putting in long hours and burning the candle at both ends in part to be able to afford collecting DVDs and a home theater system to watch them in, then can't find enough free time to enjoy what they're working so hard to obtain. It's a hamster wheel! :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i usually have a dvd going in the background of whatever i'm doing, so i go through a lot of my unwatched stuff that way. i only have about 10 unwatched titles left. most of those are hitchcocks that arent the big ones that everyone has seen. i usually watch 2 movies per weekend with my girlfriend, and i watch almost no television. notice i said television and not TV. TV is a nickname, and nicknames are for friends, and television is no friend of mine! (mr. show). i do a lot of repeat viewings, so when i 'watch' something, i am usually doing something else, but the dvd player is always working.

CJ

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Doug, I'll be the first to admit it does seem
very strange....

...but it's not totally unlike most other hobbies
where items are bought for collective purposes to
put on display or just to "have" whenever the mood
strikes to watch either by self or company.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Know I don't. I used to watch everything on the disk when I get it, now I pretty much watch just the film, maybe deleted scenes, that's it. And I agree TV on DVD makes more sense to my schedule. But it's also a huge commitment to watch a box set of TV and that in itself takes time away from films. I Buy less not much more I can do.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Something that has been an efficient use of time for me has been to listen to audio commentaries for movies that I've already seen on the dvd player in my truck. I don't pay attention to the screen (obviously because I'm driving), but if you have a commute each day, it is an efficient way to enjoy commentaries.

Peace,

DM

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
To add to the reasons for collections, there is also the case is that they are rather liquid investments. Meaning, if you ever needed money, it is fairly easy to list them up on Amazon or Ebay to sell, and most often, you can get a large percentage of what you paid for it. More if it has gone out of print.

I go through my collection once a year or so and see what I know I will never watch again and often put them up on Amazon to sell. I've had many titles sell within an hour of listing. How many other items around your home that you buy can you sell that quickly if you needed the money?

So, not only are they fun to watch, you can also look at them as being an investment.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I generally make time to at least pop a disc in the player when I buy it, even if I'm not going to watch the whole thing. I don't want to open up a disc 6 months after buying it and find out that it's scratched or has playback issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks