What's new

How do I soundproof my room? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
So, I'm gonna be building a dedicated fun-room this spring out of our unused garage that has just nekkid cynderblock walls right now, so that means I'll be putting up drywall on all the walls and celing (but I might make the celing the kind with the squares and stuff so I can run wires through it and change them around if I ever need to..)
But anyway, I'm wondering how I can make my HT be as loud as I want, without the rest of the house hearing it and my sub rattling all of our windows? Directly upstairs will be where everyone is sleeping and I'd hate for a late-night moviefest to wake up the baby :) any ideas for a simple way to keep the sound in the room instead of out? I especially want to keep the bass from the sub from being heard all over the place

itai

Stunt Coordinator
you mean the sub being felt all over!
thats a though one! you should separate that room from the rest of the house!;)
sorry for the silly answer, but thats THE major problem with HT today. the OTHER people...

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Keep the studs away from the cinder block, use a second layer of drywall with a resilient channel between it and the first, and fill the walls with fibgerglass insulation.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
what about once construction is done? I've heard of people having carpets along the walls.. is that for soundproofing?

Ross_Henderson

Auditioning
Tim,
Use the search feature for this forum and also go to http://www.avsforum.com and go to Theater Construction and use their search for keywords like construction, walls, ceiling, floors, isolation, etc.
You need to do a good week or more (every night all evening) of research into this. It isn't black and white. There are too many permutations of building constructions for a pat answer.
Don't spend a penny on materials until you do.

Nic K

Grip
I agree with Ross wholeheartedly. I did about 2 weeks of research before I decided on the setup I was going to use. Check all the acoustic companies on the internet if you are serious about sound proofing your room. There are many companies with different opinions. The route I took was with acoustic sciences corporation. They offer what is called the Iso-Wall system and Wall Damp system. The customer service is impeccable and they will advise you on the best system for the amount of money you have allocated. The STC rating of their sytem (if installed correctly) is approx 60 if I am not mistaken. Email me if you have any questions. I look at value for the price and the foundation is most critical. All the other stuff such as wallcoverings are when all the big stuff is done and you want to eek every miniscule performance out of your system.
Nic
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks