What's new

How do I set the speaker/delay distance in my receiver? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Hi Guys,
It's me again with another question. I hope you guys don't get mad at me for asking so many questions, but I want to learn as much as I can.
Anyway, I have a Philips MX980D Receiver (with all the speakers that came with it) and it has the option to set the DELAY time on the speakers.
It has the range from 3 feet to 30 feet.
How do I figure out how far the speakers are? Do I measure from my head to each speaker? Do I measure from left speaker to center speaker, and then from center to right? I thought someone said that after you figure out the distance, then you have to add 10 feet to get the correct delay. Is that true?
So, let's say that my speaker distance is 9 feet, do I then add 10 feet, so that I get a delay of 19 feet? I'm a little bit confused.
If anyone can help me out, I'd truly appreciate it.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hey David, Set your speakers, the distance from the actual speaker to the actual listening position, where your head will be. Set it for the sweet spot(thats your seat right? :) )
Measure the distance from your head at the listening position to the Center speaker and put that value in your receiver.Repeat for each individual speaker.
For example if you measured 8 ft. from your head to the center speaker, then set your receiver, CENTER 8 ft.
If you measured 9 ft. from your head to the left main, then set your receiver, LEFT 9 ft. and so on.
And thats it! Setting the speaker distances will automatically give you the correct delay.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks