What's new

Audio/video synch with LCD HDTV; subwoofer crossover (1 Viewer)

Elphaba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gilda
Ok, I read somewhere (and can't find it right now) that when hooking up a DVD player, surround sound receiver, and LCD tv, that there is sometimes a small problem with the audio sychronizing properly with the video due to the LCD taking some time to process the video signal.

My equipment:

TV: Philips 42PFfl7432D/37
DVD player: Panasonic DMP-BD10A
Receiver: Yamaha VS-X661

Connections: HDMI from DVD to TV; Optical Digital from DVD to reciever.

I set the surround sound parameters using the auto calibration and corrected a couple of speaker distances (the center and left rear were slightly off).

Questions:

Is this delay something I need to worry about?
How can I tell if I have it?
How do I correct it if I do? My receiver has a setting where I can adjust the initial delay from 0-99ms.

Subwoofer crossover:

I have a set of JBL SCS 500.5 speakers. The auto setup set the crossover to 200hz, and all LFE and bass to subwoofer. While talking to a friend who's into HT at church, he said that crossover was too high, and I need to bump it down to 160 or 120 to get a little smoother transition from the fronts to the sub.

Should I trust the Yamaha's auto setup, or reset the crossover?

Also, there's a choice of having the bass signal sent to the sub only or the sub and fronts. The receiver chose sub only. The guy at church said this is the correct setting for small front speakers. Is this correct?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Gilda

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The synch problem will be visible if your audio does not match the video, especially apparent during dialogue. If the mouths dont' match the words, then you have it. If you have it, use the delay setting to adjust the dialogue to the mouth movements.

Auto calibration of the sub is often the least accurate of all the speakers. My Onkyo even has a disclaimer in the manual that states as such. 200 Hz is way too high in my opinion. Anything over ~100 Hz and you can beging to localize the sub (i.e. "hear" the direction of the sub), which is not what you want. I'd decrease it to 120 and work my way down till it sounds correct.

Your church friend is correct on the last point. "Small" is the correct setting (all low bass routed to the sub) for all but the most capable fronts.

Elphaba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gilda
Thank you. I lowered the crossover, tested it with the sub crossover test on the THX optimizer on the T2 disc, and found I couldn't localize the sub once it hit 110.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks