Question about speaker distance settings.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamesCB, Nov 14, 2003.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I have a Sony V333 ES receiver. In the set up menu, it has settings for speaker distances (from the listening position).
    Here's what I don't get: The center speaker cannot be set up to be farther away from you than the front L & R. It can be set up to be closer than the fronts. I don't understand why it is like this. I listen to alot of two-channel (music), and have my mains slightly out into the room for imaging purposes (I know ideally there should be nothing between them, I have a 51" HDTV, but HT and two-channel share the same system). Anyway I am perplexed why the receiver won't let me put the center farther away. As I see it now, the center and mains are set at the same distance, which makes sense, they are about the same distance away. Dose any one's receiver(or Pre/Pro) allow them to set the center closer? What set up would have the center closer than the fronts?
    On a side question: How do I know these settings are correct for me, short of getting out the tape measure? Is there a test disc for speaker distance and delay settings? I have Video Essentials, and don't recall seeing anything on there about this.

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Because Sony "don't get" speaker settings!
    It still cracks me up, as well as frustrates me, how many speaker diagrams STILL show the front spks all lined up in a row. Along the front wall.
    WRONG!
    The spks, as you already know from two channel listening, must be in an arc around the listening area (sweet spot).
    Your going to have to take sound pressure measurements.
    To ensure, a solid sound field.
    Some 'new' receivers, have this as a built-in feature now.
    Good luck.
    And do not compromise your two channel listening experience, to 'satisfy' the Sony.

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Janes- Doesn't your Sony have an ms(millisecond) adjustment for the center? If not, you could try the screen depth setting which is foward, back and off for exact centering. I thnk Sony recommends the off setting for almost all applications but maybe in your case the back setting would be appropiate. I'd give it a try.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

If your L/R pair are forward into the room, then they may actually be at the same distance from your ears as the center.

And if so, you don't need any delay settings. Simple geometry, really.

Or you can check with a tape measure, or follow the procedure at the bottom of this link http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/exper.../avia_a2z.html

I have not followed Guy's steps. I just rely on tape measure settings, but if you really want to get down with this, you can.

BGL

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you were talking about a large difference in distance, I might consider it a big deal, but if the distance from the seating position is within 1-2', I'd say don't worry about it. Rely on the SPL meter settings to level match, and you should be fine. It IS odd that they don't allow this setting (mine does, Marantz SR8300).

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I just get some old speaker wire(because it is pliable and easy to mark)and use it to measure from my main sweet spot to the Center(since its location is fixed above the TV), then I sweep it out to the right and left sides to get the Mains equidistant(then you don't have to worry about any digital delay).

As others have mentioned, it's an arc, although sometimes it looks like one speaker is closer than another and it still puts the speakers out in front of the TV for imaging purposes. Of course, that is assuming your sweet spot is dead center to the center channel.

DJ

7. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

8. John Garcia

John

9. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

11. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

With an RPTV and floorstanding speakers in a dedicated HT, I have recently pulled my mains about 8in further into the room. The TV is further away and the center is on top. The mains are now 12.5 ft from the listening position, and the center is 13.5 ft. The face of the mains is probably a good 2 feet from the back wall. That 8in made a big difference in my soundstage. I was listening to music and I kept finding myself leaning forward to "get in the sweet spot" so I just moved the sweet spot closer to me! I don't think I'll ever stop tweaking.

12. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Tim K,
    You know exactly what I'm talking about. I need to find that sweet spot. When I had a smaller TV (27"), the soundstage was much better. I'm just gonna have to keep moving things around and experiment.

13. John Garcia

John

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

16. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

James,
    I'll tell you what I did to get my sweet spot right. Some say you should sit with your speakers forming a certain angle to the listener. Others say you should sit at a distance equal to the distance between the speakers. Who knows right?

I couldn't get my speakers wide apart enough to equal my seated distance because of my room size. I just pulled them out about 2ft and made sure they were about 2ft from the side walls as well. Since my TV is recessed, the face of my speakers is about 18" forward of the TV screen. I decided to toe my speakers in based on a tip I read somewhere out here. I used a laser pointer attached to the top of my mains and toe'd in my mains so that the lasers would cross 2-3ft behind my head. Of course, I sit against the rear wall, so there is only 2-3 inches behind my head! So I just aimed each of them so that if there was room behind my head they would cross there. They basically each hit the wall 6" to the side of my head. This got me to the point where I could hear my sweet spot by leaning forward. So, I moved my speakers forward 6" and voila.