What's new

Need experts' help on my first post here (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lim

Auditioning
Hi all,

Really excited to come across such fine and informative site on HT.

Having saved up some money, i splurged it on a Yamaha RX-V3200 AV receiver and the German's Heco speaker system (Argon series).

Having done up the connections, I would like to have some of my doubts/questions answered.

1) The Yamaha amplifier comes with a "A" and "B" speaker terminals. Can I bi-wire my front speakers to both the "A" and "B" terminals or should I just stick to terminal "A" or terminal "B". Will bi-wiring the speakers to terminals "A" and "B" damage my speakers?

2) Folks with RX-V3200, how do you set up the delay times for the surround? I'm quite disappointed cos RX-V3200 is such a hi-end receiver but it does not provide such a function to do so cos my friends who own Denon/Marantz receivers are able to set up their systems by simply measuring the distance between the listening position and the speakers and then keying in the distances (in feet or meters) and the receiver will be able to determine the best delay times.

Thanks folks. Looking forward to more excitement and fun in this forum.

Ivan

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
1) The Yamaha amplifier comes with a "A" and "B" speaker terminals. Can I bi-wire my front speakers to both the "A" and "B" terminals or should I just stick to terminal "A" or terminal "B". Will bi-wiring the speakers to terminals "A" and "B" damage my speakers?
Stick to the "A" outputs. If you do have the biwire/amp provisions on you speakers you might try doubling up the leads on the "A" side to the hi/lo inputs on the speakers. Biwiring as they call it.

The second set of outputs or "B" on your receiver is primarily designed for a second room, ideally while the "A" side is not in use. Using them in conjunction to power the same speaker actually sounds worse than using the individual sets. imo.

Good luck

-rob

Ivan Lim

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply.

Rob, for your info, I'm using the Heco Argon 70 main speakers, which are bi-wirable. I have connected 2pairs of cables to each side of the speakers, and 2 ends to speaker terminal A and the other 2 to speaker terminal B.

After reading some info on doing so, I decided to switch the two pair of cables from speaker terminal B to that of A for fear of damaging my speakers.

The reason why i initially set up the cables to Terminal A and B was because I read in 'What Hi Fi' website that one can actually bi-wire their speakers to both speaker terminal A and B and in doing so, it will improve the sound quality. Silly me though.

Thanks for all feedback.

Regards.

Ivan

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I read in 'What Hi Fi' website that one can actually bi-wire their speakers to both speaker terminal A and B and in doing so, it will improve the sound quality. Silly me though
They may be talking about terminals a and b on the speakers. By using both outputs on the receiver you are essentially bi-amping. However, both amps are sharing the same toroid, etc and it is actually counterproductive. The receiver has much less current and amperage capability per output.
For the above reasons a lot of companies do not even offer a second set of "B" outputs on their receivers. They really are not a second equal set, but rather an opton to have two outputs, each with substantially less power capability of using one or the other.
Good luck.
-rob

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Speaker A and Speaker B = 1/2 power Speaker A or B by itself = Full power
Bi-Wiring is VooDoo, Bi-Amping is another matter completly
Use decent wire (>14ga) and good terminators run 1 to each speaker from your receiver and you will do fine. Concentrate on placement, you will get much better return for your efforts. Leave the BiAmping and BiWiring to the Tweakers. BiAmping introduces other variables such as cross overs etc that you needent be concerned with at this point. Place them where they sound best calibrate them with a sound meter and use the system for awhile, let it get good and broke in, kinda like putting an ISFer on your new RPTV, let it burn in awhile first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks