What's new

How do I know if I want a front projector? (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Hi all,

I was pretty settled on a rear projector DLP or LCoS but I got to thinking. I am finishing my basement and have full creative authority on this. I have a big blank wall where I was going to put my stand and tv but maybe I should go for a huge screen instead? I'm just not sure. Never owned one. My dad has the 4805 and it's okay and all. I just don't know what a projector around $2k or so will get me. HDMI? I know it has to be 720p in that price range but will it also display 1080i? What about components? Where do they normally go if you mount the projector to hang from the ceiling?
I need some guidance from all the front projector fans/owners.
Thanks much!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First off, what type of viewing will you do with the projector? You first need to decide if you want a DLP or LCD projector. You can get a very nice 720p projector for $2,000 or less, with HDMI/DVI, component, S-video and composite inputs. All projectors will display a 1080i signal after scaling the signal to 720p. I recommend you put your components in the rear of the room close to projector. This allows you to use shorter cables and avoid looking at the distracting component lights while viewing projector. There are 2 great sites to learn about projectors and read reviews: Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1. Do you really want a picture bigger than about 80 inches? If so, a front projector is the only choice.

2. Are you able to have the room almost pitch dark when you are viewing movies or TV shows? That means other people cannot be playing pool or reading or using a computer or mixing drinks. Without a dark room no front projector will give a great picture.

Two good modest price 720p LCD projectors are the Panasonic AE900U and the Sanyo PLV-Z4.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'd say 70% satellite tv watching (of that 80% HD) and 30% DVD (prob. will invest in HD DVD). No gaming.
The room I would have it in is a very long, rectangular shaped room. Still not sure how I would get those components hooked up.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I will have the ability to get the room almost dark. The window closest to the screen will have blinds and the farthest window will have something but some light may come through. The area around the screen would be pretty dark during the day but not totally. Does that mean I shouldn't look at this possibility?

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I'd say go for it. Yes the picture isn't as good with ambient light but I think its still more than bearable. During the day we have quite a bit of ambient light, less so with the blinds closed but still...I need to get pics up of our set up because for normal tv/pj viewing ambient light isn't all that bad . Maybe for the purists its bad but as long as you have some control with blinds etc. you'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks