What's new

How are the Dick Van Dyke sets? (1 Viewer)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched all of the first two discs of Season One as well as the "Stump The Stars" segment of Season Two.

All I can say is, "these sets are worth every penny". The picture quality, while not reference quality, is generally very good. I am especially impressed that striped patterns (such as on Dick's pajamas) don't shimmer. The sound is clear and solid.

My only criticism (and it's a sore point with me) is that there are no english subtitles (captions) on any of the discs. It's very disappointing that a major release such as this doesn't have these. I realize not everybody needs them, but I sure appreciate them. Fortunately the dialogue is very intelligible and recorded at a decent volume as to partially mitigate the lack of subtitles.

Regarding "hidden" features, the ones mentioned above are in plan view on my set. On the chapter stops menus there is actually an "Extras" icon that leads to these. I don't have to highlight Mr. Van Dyke's head.

The producers of this DVD should be very proud of the work they did. I will definitely be buying the remaining 3 seasons when they come out in 2004.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Regarding "hidden" features, the ones mentioned above are in plan view on my set. On the chapter stops menus there is actually an "Extras" icon that leads to these. I don't have to highlight Mr. Van Dyke's head.
I still haven't nearly gotten through all 10 discs (it's best to s-t-r-e-t-c-h these out for a while IMO...for something to constantly look forward to :)). So, I wasn't aware of the "Eggs" mentioned above.

Paul...I knew of the very handy "Extras" area on each sub-menu (the episode chapter menus that is), but didn't realize that the Kent Cigarette ads were popping up there. Interesting. Does this mean that on the Main Menu, under "Special Features", you cannot access these "wicked" adverts showing the ultra-wholesome duo of Rob & Laura puffin' away?? :) ;)

Hey, Paul ... Didn't you just love that "Stump The Stars" bonus? The whole show is there. So far, that's my favorite extra. Good PQ too, which kinda surprised me. (Because I'm doubting that Image, et al, took the time and expense to "re-master" this extra feature.)

I liked host Pat Harrington (Jr.) somewhat berating the game play of Rose Marie, after Dick Van Dyke tries (in vain) to get his gang to come up with the right word during his turn at the charades game. :laugh:

I'm predicting (without the slightest bit of data to back this up) that we're going to see D.V.Dyke Season 3 in March 2004. With Season 4 to follow in July 2004; and then the 5th & final volume coming in October of '04. This schedule would mean that all 5 sets would be released within exactly a one-year timeframe. (That'd be fine by me.)

And remember...the next time big-time headache pain hits you.....
Bayer's not the answer....
Take 2 walnuts and a glass of air. :)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I just listened to the commentary on the season one episode "Where Do I Come From?" (after watching it without it, of course) and I quite enjoyed it. However, after the credits and such, it seems they cut off Dick and Carl while they were still talking about Calvada Productions. Oops!

The commentary is great, by the way, and they admit they have no audio whatsoever to distract them, so any dialogue they remember is explicitly from memory. You can tell these two men have remained great friends through all these years.

Great commentary and hilarious episode!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
... after the credits and such, it seems they cut off Dick and Carl while they were still talking about Calvada Productions. Oops!
Well, if the end credits were completely over, what else could they do (but to cut off any leftover Carl/Richard comments)? Perhaps someone should have given the pair a "speed up" cue from "off-stage". :)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't you just love that "Stump The Stars" bonus? The whole show is there. So far, that's my favorite extra. Good PQ too, which kinda surprised me. (Because I'm doubting that Image, et al, took the time and expense to "re-master" this extra feature.)
"Stump the Stars" was a hoot to watch. A reminder of a time gone by. To see "Mr. French" do pantomimes is priceless.

I did some research on this show, which I had never heard of. I found out that it was an offshoot of Mike Stokey's "Pantomime Quiz" (which I had heard of). Harrington (who some remember as Schneider from "One Day at a Time") temporarily replaced Stokey in 1962. Incidentally Mr. Stokey passed away only a few months ago.

Did you think that perhaps the contestants were, shall we say, "coached" ahead of time? Ross Martin had little difficulty guessing a fairly lengthy Ben Franklin quote that I thought wasn't all that well known.

I really enjoy the cast interview clips. Although they're from the mid 90's, they're very informative and enjoyable. I can only imagine what goodies are in store for Seasons 3 through 5.

Seeing early appearances from future stars such as Jamie Farr, Gavin MacLeod, and Marty Ingels is also an added bonus.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I haven't really got in to these sets yet, just a few glances at them, but can someone do me a quick favor and post in here which episodes have commentary tracks?

I'm sure its listed somewhere on the packaging or in the papers inside the package, but my vision isn't good enough for me to read those, and I don't feel like optically scanning it. For that matter, a list of what each disc has in the way of features would be a big help, and thanks.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Re. "Stump The Stars" segment....

Did you think that perhaps the contestants were, shall we say, "coached" ahead of time? Ross Martin had little difficulty guessing a fairly lengthy Ben Franklin quote that I thought wasn't all that well known.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking along those lines too. Although, I attributed Ross's "expertise" to the fact that he was a "regular" on the program and therefore might have "boned-up" on quotes, sayings, etc. Plus, I figured I was just stupid for never having heard that quote before; and I figured Mr. Martin, et al, were sharper
than I. :)

People who play charades regularly should get a big kick out of that bonus game show too. I learned how to get a fellow player to say a "W" word (Why, Where, When). You utilize the "3 Fingers Up" signal, simulating "W". (Although I'm not quite sure why most of the participants on the "Stump..." show seemed to hold 3 fingers DOWN, rather than up. (Wouldn't "3 Down" equate to an "M"??)

"3 out of 4 doctors will tell you that "The Cupcake Test"
is not always conclusive."
:D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Have you guys ever seen the "Bupkis" episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show? (It's a 4th-season ep.; March 1965.)

It has a blooper in it that Mr. Reiner and company just left in because Dick Van Dyke covered it up so well. (This probably happened many other times as well.)

If anybody knows of the episode, the "blooper that was left in" occurs in the first scene, after Rob is surprised to hear an old song ("Bupkis") that he wrote on the local radio station.

He gets up from the breakfast table to call the station to inquire about the record, and it's fairly obvious that Dick should have leafed through the telephone directory FIRST, and then dialed Station 'WIFE' ("The station most people are married
to!"
:D). Because WHY would he have memorized the number to the radio station? :)

But, instead, Dick dials the number FIRST, then looks through the phone book. Dick/Rob then says, ad-libbed: "Right". This is followed by a wry, "I just messed up" kind of smile, and a large audience laugh.

Many other "strictly by-the-book" directors would have done a re-take of this goof. But it was kept in the final version. I always give out a big belly-laugh when I see that scene, knowing it was supposed to be filmed differently.

"Bupkis" should (hopefully) be at a store near you by late next year.

That episode features Greg Morris (as "Sticks Mandalay"), in one of two guest spots by Mr. Morris. The other being the "other father" in "That's My Boy??" (the hysterically-funny episode where Rob is convinced beyond all doubt that the hospital gave him the wrong baby :)).

We'll be getting the baby-switching ep. as the first episode in the Season 3 boxed set.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The baby switching episode is 1 of my favorite episodes of any series, up there with Chuckles bites the dust, and Homer at the Bat, and Straight Arrow.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"Robert Petrie wrote a show ...

Supposed to be funny, ho-ho-ho ...

Look how far this man has gotten ...

Writing shows that are really rotten!"

--- "Punch Thy Neighbor" (Season One; Disc Three)

:) :laugh: :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I always thought Jerry Van Dyke is funnier when he's tripping all over the act then when he peforms "great" while asleep. :)

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I bought these two sets Tuesday and was through with them Thursday including special features. These are magnificent sets. I was slightly disappointed with the commentaries but they were kinda fun. The big features (to me) are the unseen pilot on Season 1 and the game show on Season 2. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected to see those.
I had two complaints about the sets: 1)the missing Kent ads (which I will now watch tonight-thanks very much for the info) and 2)the tv dials on the boxes have stations numbered 1-12 and then UHF. Ain't no channel 1 nowhere, notime, nohow.

Regarding the commentary seeming cutoff, on disc 2, a commentary by Rose Marie, Anne Morgan Guilbert, and Larry Matthews runs on for a good 30 seconds after the screen goes black post-credit.

Image did a great job. I'm there waiting for the next 3 seasons.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
complaint ... the tv dials on the boxes have stations numbered 1-12 and then UHF. Ain't no channel 1 nowhere, notime, nohow.
Boy, if this extremely minor issue is one of the very few "negatives" re. these sets, then we KNOW for a fact Image, et al, did a super job on them! :) :D

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is making the wait for my pre-order (ha!) from Columbia House seem so much longer! :) I love this show, sadly can only afford the first set at the moment but will definitely be renting the second.

It's too bad the Mary Tyler Moore Show releases could have this kind of release schedule (at this point, ANY release schedule would be ideal.)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
This is the most complete TV Box set I've seen so far. People are happy with the audio and video, there is a wealth of bonus materials, I really dig the packaging myself. The little things like a chapter stop after the theme music ends, a play all feature, what else could you want. Plus, since this is an older show more episodes per season. Well worth what I paid for it.

You know there may be more people clammering for a release of MTM season 2, than actually bought MTM season 1. I say that sarcastically, but there are several HTF members that want follow-up seasons, of course I realize HTF makes up but a small segment of the population, but sometimes its not the size of your group its how vocal your group is that gets things done.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
David, you've finally convinced me to order these sets from DVDEmpire. I had been thinking about it, and you finally put me over the top with your posts. I'll expect a check or money order from you for the amount I paid in my mailbox within the next couple weeks. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...you finally put me over the top with your posts. I'll expect a check or money order from you for the amount I paid in my mailbox within the next couple weeks.
I'll do it, IF you will reciprocate with checks payable to ME for Dick Van Dyke Seasons 3 through 5. (Hey, a guy's gotta make SOME profit, doesn't he? ;))

(And, Scott, don't forget your $5.00 Off e-coupon @ Empire! You can find the current code @ www.dvdpricesearch.com.)

:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks