What's new

Recommended House Hold Tips Tricks and Hints (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I had a shower curtain that wasn't sliding very well. It seemed to stick at several places as I tried to pull it across the rod. I thought of WD40, and then floor wax. Suddenly I had a brain wave -- how about one of those Pledge wipes we never use? They are wax aren't they? I took one out of the package and slid it along the pole. Suddenly my shower curtain slid across like a rocket!
I have since treated every curtain rod in the house. It works especially well with anything having grommets.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If you're trying to get a screw to tighten and it won't because the hole is now too big, put a toothpick or 2, or a piece of a wooden matchstick into the hole, and then the screw. Tighten away.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I had a shower curtain that wasn't sliding very well. It seemed to stick at several places as I tried to pull it across the rod. I thought of WD40, and then floor wax. Suddenly I had a brain wave -- how about one of those Pledge wipes we never use? They are wax aren't they? I took one out of the package and slid it along the pole. Suddenly my shower curtain slid across like a rocket!
I have since treated every curtain rod in the house. It works especially well with anything having grommets.
Advice to everyone, do not use WD40 inside. It will reek for months, horrible product. I don't even know where there's a use for it, just basic cheap home oil in the little metal can for squeaky hinges, lubing up A/C fans, motors, etc. The home use wax sounds like a far better solution.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Advice to everyone, do not use WD40 inside. It will reek for months, horrible product. I don't even know where there's a use for it, just basic cheap home oil in the little metal can for squeaky hinges, lubing up A/C fans, motors, etc. The home use wax sounds like a far better solution.

Anything that squeaks metal on metal is fixed by wd40. I use it on all cupboard and door hinges and sticky keyholes and locks. It does have a distinct strong odour, but it goes away quickly.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I use WD40 inside frequently. Had a key that wasn't fitting in the inside portion of the lock. A little WD40 took care of it. No problem with the smell, it goes away.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Anything that squeaks metal on metal is fixed by wd40. I use it on all cupboard and door hinges and sticky keyholes and locks. It does have a distinct strong odour, but it goes away quickly.
Had an old refrigerator from my grandparents. They liked the style where the freezer was on the bottom so the fan ran constantly to move the cold air "up". They actually owned two of them. Both got squeaky so I tried WD40. Never again. Most worthless product ever made. Just a cheap can of oil does a much better job.

I ended up giving one of the fridges to a neighbor who put it in his garage to store beer. Didn't care about the squeaky fan or the WD40 odor. The other I had hauled away.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Had a key that wasn't fitting in the inside portion of the lock. A little WD40 took care of it.

My dad gave me a small can of Liquid Graphite a number of years ago. Nothing better for just the situation you described, Johnny. It also then saturates the inner workings of the lock and coats everything to make it work freely. Awesome stuff.

My older version looks like this:

m7oEzlQnqQ22768iL69mh4A.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My dad gave me a small can of Liquid Graphite a number of years ago. Nothing better for just the situation you described, Johnny. It also then saturates the inner workings of the lock and coats everything to make it work freely. Awesome stuff.

My older version looks like this:

m7oEzlQnqQ22768iL69mh4A.jpg

Wish I'd known that last winter. Had a lock freeze up, actually broke the key as I tried to open it, what was left of the key was stuck inside the lock. My neighbor had a file and an electric saw of some kind, so he was able to remove it.

Padlocks are truly worthless. My garage was broken into a few weeks ago, they cut right through the lock. Lost a weed-whacker, hedge clippers and a chain-saw. Reported it to our local "cop shop". Nothing will happen, they just add it to the statistics. Probably went to a pawn shop and the thieves got $25.

Sold some DVDs last year. Don't do it at a pawn shop, they are the scum of the earth.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
WD40 is worthless as a lubricant. It's designed to be a "water displacing" rust dissolver. Once it has properly done it's job and freed up whatever is stuck, you need to use graphite, grease, Tri-Flow, 3-in-1 oil, or another high quality lubricant, depending on what needs to be lubricated.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Graphite is the best, AFAIC, just make sure you or a locksmith doesn't spray silicone or WD 40 inside, before or after!

Last edited:

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
@TJPC ok if I rename this thread to “household tips, tricks, buys and upgrades”?...

If that's the case...

store unused power or kitchen appliance cords in an empty toilet paper roll
Just roll in a circle, then insert.
Just remember to mark the tube if you have a lot of similar cords.

Also, an empty paper towel tube is good for storing kitchen tongs in, before placing in a drawer.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife would never go for toilet rolls in the kitchen. I make several loops in the cord near the appliance, then circle round the loops a few times and poke the cord through. I could show you in 5 minutes, but it is difficult to describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks