What's new

Horror of horrors! New Annie (1982) Special Edition P&S only! (1 Viewer)

William Miller

Second Unit
The Columbia press release states that the new Annie (1982) Special Edition will be P&S only.

This can't be true. They wouldn't do this to a Panavision movie, would they?

The first release, which contained a 2.35 version, had some framing problems in a few scenes. I guess there won't be any problem with the new version since the whole thing will be mis-framed.

What is in these studio's mind when Family films are not letterboxed? Do they think that letterboxing is for "adults only"? Do they think that if children see black bars on a TV screen that they will go into catatonic fits and have to be sedated? No! It's a lot of older adults that react this way and not kids. Kids are much more hip to 21st century technology.

Very depressing.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I was just going to start a thread on this myself. Thanks for doing it.

DVDfile details:

Getting the special edition treatment at last following a disappointing movie-only edition released two years ago is the 1982 musical flop Annie. This new reissue inculdes only a 4:3 full screen transfer (yes, really), Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, the "My Hollywood Adventure with Aileen Quinn" featurette, an exclusive msuical performance of "It's the Hard Knock Life" by the pop group Play (be very afraid), "The Age of Annie" trivia game, sing-along and act-alongs (don't ask me) and theatrical trailers. Retail is $24.95.
this is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! The version out now has both aspect ratios. But is has a mis-framed WS version that "zooms" some of the images improperly and it only has a (very bad sounding) 2.0 DD ProLogic soundtrack.

Now Annie gets an SE with 5.1 DTS and *no* OAR 16x9 WS option?

Who do we write to? This is war. You thought I went all-out with my phone campaign when Disney did Muppets in P/S only...just wait until I get the contact info for Columbia!!!

So, anyone got some information to get us started?

-dave :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
DTS and Pan&Scan?!?!?!?

Yeah...cuz THAT makes sense......

:rolleyes

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Furthermore, the extras they have announced are terrible. A pop version of the song (Disney's influence no doubt)? Sing-alongs? Act-alongs? What in God's name is going through their heads?

In another thread we pondered the existence of some substantial extras. The existence of a one-hour PBS documentary is well-known.

I tried emailing them again, but again it was rejected by their mail system.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,

once you find a working email please share it with us here.

quick info to get everyone started:

Columbia TriStar Home Video
10202 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232-3195
[INCORRECT PHONE NUMBER REMOVED AT STUDIO'S REQUEST. SEE MY POST. SORRY, DAVID!]
E-mail: [email protected]

Anyone want to volunteer to start an on-line Peition? Already one going for Matilda!

dave

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think this calls for a song:

From Sony we get such sorrow
With some discs I wouldn't even borrow
From a friend.

With "Annie" we'll get some sorrow
For it's pan and scan and that means sorrow
Don't pretend

That "Matilda" should be a TV-movie
In the shape of a square, how dare
They try! Oy!

It's causing us pain and sorrow
To see discs of films that come tomorrow
We can't buy.

Such sorrow! Such sorrow!
These discs that cause sorrow
Should not see the light of day!

Such sorrow! Such sorrow!
These discs that cause sorrow
Should not see the light of day!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I really despise this movie....

However, what I despise even more is the stupidity of Columbia putting out a non-OAR special edition of this title. This is absolutely twisted and stupid. For those of you who do like this movie (and I know there are many), I can only recommend that you do indeed contact the company and voice your complaints. Even though this isn't a film I would buy, as a matter of responsibility I feel I need to write to Columbia in protest.

This sets a terrible and dangerous precedent!:angry:

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Since Annie is a title which only appeals to a small audience, this decision is insane. To me, Annie is a marginal film. While I might have purchased a special edition in widescreen to increase my musical selection, I don't like the film enough to buy a pan and scan version.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Good that this movie got it's own seperate thread. I didn't start one, since this movie already had a widescreen edition, but since it was mis-framed, I think it deserves one. Can someone call the number listed and verify that it works? If so, I will call and voice my displeasure about both Annie and Matilda.

Your song is great, Matthew!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
since this movie already had a widescreen edition, but since it was mis-framed, I think it deserves one.
Quite so. And for me in particular, the generally poor sounding 2.0 DD on the first release was a real let-down. Now we get 5.1 DD *and* 5.1 DTS!!!! Only it's P/S only. This is a sad irony and needless to say only rubs salt in the wound.

I called the number listed above and it's not accepting voice-mail, but maybe during business hours (CA time) a person would answer and properly handle the call.

An operator told me to call:

[ERM, WRONG NUMBER. SEE MY POST] to reach their "home video" department. I'll call back during CA business hours and lodge a complaint, and report back here.

PLEASE FOLKS, when calling don't talk up HTF or brag about how "we" at HTF are into OAR. We only make ourselves sound like a small-group of enthusiasts who don't represent the public's attitudes at large when we do that. Talk about how much you and *your family* want this title in WS and you're concern will be heard.

-dave

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Did they?

DVD file said they would announce it if Columbia corrected the problem...and no announcement was ever made. If Columbia *did* correct the problem, then why didn't they tell me so after I sent them *several* emails (which were all ignored) asking if they would and if I could exchange my defective copy for a corrected one?

-dave

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Even if they did correct the framing problem on the previous release, it's out of print anyway. So those who were holding out for a special edition may be out of luck.

I know this film wasn't exactly a huge hit at the box office, but's gained something of a cult following in the years since. It's a splashy, big-budget, old-style, Hollywood musical, filmed anamorphically, and it looks horrid cropped.

I kind of like the film (laugh at me all you want; maybe it's nostalgia), and I'd been trying to track down the previous movie-only release. When I heard about the SE, I thought I might get that. But I won't buy it if it's P&S only.

Although I can vouch for the fact that some of today's kids can and do enjoy this movie (I know one 10-year-old in particular who's a big fan), the majority of people who are going to be interested in it are adults. And anyway, as some have already pointed out, most kids don't worry about the black bars.

I'll gladly sign a petition if anyone wants to start one. I realize a lot of people hate the film, but you have to at least agree with the principle here. I don't want to jump on the "I hate Columbia Tristar" bandwagon, because they really do put out some quality releases, but this is blowing my mind. Even Universal has been putting out dual releases of some of their catalog titles (many of them family films, no less).

I guess we'll see what happens on this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
To clarify, I do not hate them. I just think some of their decisions leave a lot to be desired. They championed the DVD format in the past, and they have released some really good DVDs. This is why it really hurts when these studios make poor decisions.

Even "Gigli" got a widescreen transfer.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Pan and Scan?

Widescreen - this film was 2:35

"Lights, Camera, Annie" -Original hour long PBS Documentary on the making of the film

Original shot numbers "Easy Street" "Maybe" "Your Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" (These were all restaged and rehoot months after filming waas completed.

Original opening - with Annie escaping from the orhange and getting caught

Radio City film premiere
History of the Broadway show
trailers

These would make the release turly "Special"

Maybe the people at SONY don't know this stuff is out there?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The framing problem was corrected and the DVD looks great - but there was never any mention of the correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks