Honeymooners Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Thomas, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Atleast the kept the names right. I hope Ralph threatens to send Alice to the moon at some point though.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    that is sad.

4. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I've only seen a few episodes of the original show and even I can tell it doesn't look faithful to the source material. They're going to soil a great show... whats next totally ruining I Love Lucy?

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I don't have to see the trailer to know I won't be seeing that scum.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Ditto!! Is nothing sacred anymore?

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

If they were going to do a Honeymooners movie, they should have cast John Goodman as Ralph and Michael Richards as Norton. This looks cheap and lame.

8. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

It looks like they're making this movie for the MTV crowd that knows nothing of classic tv. Like they said a IGN... if Gleason knew what was happening, he'd probably do his famous "humanahumanahumana" from the grave.

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I saw the trailer this Sunday attached to "Coach Carter," and I thought to myself, "what's next, Beyoncé in 'I Love Lucy: The Movie'?"

10. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

You simply can't remake a show like The Honeymooners in 2005. It belongs to its time. A brilliant show that doesn't need updating, remaking, touching or even looking askance at. it looks as if they've just tacked on the name to a completely unrelated storyline. I mean, Gabrielle Union as Alice? Why not Linda Evangelista?

11. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

If it wasn't called the Honeymooners, would it still be "Scum?"

I think that's a little harsh. Granted, I don't see why they had to appropriate The Honeymooners to make this, and in the end, that will probably detract from the box office, but as it stands--it looks like an amiable enough comedy. Plus, basically every other sitcom is essentially a Honeymooners ripoff anyway. They had the common sense to give it a different name, though. There's nothing particularly ORIGINAL about "the Honeymooners" at all.

They're just unneccessarily adding extra baggage by linking it to the Jackie Gleason show. That's gonna hurt it, obviously. But the movie itself doesn't look all THAT bad. Just because it's black people assuming the roles doesn't automatically make it retarded. But Julian does have a point--The Honeymooners belongs to it's time. Black people or not--updating it to 2005 would have been a mistake regardless of whether it was John Goodman and Debra Messing playing the new roles.

I also don't buy that they're "Soiling" the show. If anything, the glut of movie remakes proves that the originals will still stand the test of time and no matter how bad a remake is, I've never heard of one person saying "Oh, this show blows--I saw the remake."

12. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Absolutely. And I'd still call it scum either way. It's the fact that it's another unnecessary modern update which I'm objecting to, and nothing more. It's not a black/white issue, and not one person here brought color up as a reason for his/her criticism. I call that new trailer for BEWTICHED "scum," too.

13. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

Further evidence that original ideas are in short supply.

14. Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro Second Unit

I had a hard time just making through the trailer..Uggghhh...

15. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

And I still think that's going overboard. As I said earlier--if this was called "Cedric the Schemer" instead of "The Honeymooners" would you still call it scum? The quality of the movie doesn't look THAT poor, and it's not as if The Honeymooners show was the pinnacle of sophisticated comedy itself. Neither was Bewitched, for that matter.

Don't get me wrong--I've already said I think attaching this movie to "The Honeymooners" is a mistake all around, but I don't get the overreaction here.

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i just saw a trsiler for what appears to be a remake of guess who's coming to dinner.
    it's called "guess who?"

and ashon kutcher is the one coming to dinner.

17. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

The movie looks like its gonna suck. It has nothing to do with race. I would have preferred to see a period piece with people who resemble the original actors.

18. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Actually, it has nothing to do with it (at least with respect to my post). My point was that they were casting a beautiful woman in the role of an essentially dowdy and downtrodden housewife. The comment about Linda Evangelista was to merely exaggerate the stupidity of the decision to cast an completely inappropriate actress as Alice.

19. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

The only color issue I see is that the movie is IN color. Other than that the trailer seems pretty loyal, if not funny.

20. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I wish this was a period piece though, with the same sets and everything. It seems ok on its own, but this is more of a sneak-in to see movie then a pay-with-your-money type of movie.