1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home Theater Seating

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

For the past fourteen years, I have watched TV and movies in the same oversized leather chair:
    20190719_blackchair.
    I love this chair. I have practically lived in this chair.

However, I woke up on the Fourth of July with a terrible stiff neck that lasted three or four days, and I've been dealing with neck, shoulder, and back pain ever since. My symptoms are slowly getting better, except in the black chair.

My beloved chair has turned into a medieval torture device. It's too deep and too squishy; maintaining proper posture in it is impossible. Normally I love sinking down into it, but now that's become quite painful. And as much as I enjoyed slouching down in it before, I think it might have been a big contributor to my current problems.

Does anybody with a history of neck/back/shoulder pain have a recommendation of a good chair for watching TV and movies? I want something I can watch a double feature in without being crippled up by the start of the second movie. As it is now, my media consumption has gone down considerably because I have to take "breathers" between each episode of television. Something that's not super hard but still provides the correct amount of support.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    No seating recommendations per se. I suggest finding a chair that works for now — a straight back chair you already own, say. Get the back and neck issues sorted. See if you need new and different seating. Then shop accordingly.

Sam Posten and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I've taken your advice and started improvising for the time being.:)
    67412816_465339490947444_7690456616449081344_n.

DaveF likes this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The back, neck, and shoulder feel like they're 80-90 percent better. I just ordered a Seatcraft Orleans home theater recliner. I take delivery a week from Thursday. I'm hoping that it's good a long-term replacement:
    seatcraft-orleans.

DaveF likes this.
  5. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    I'll offer one comment concerning the blue LED lights at the base of the chair for those members using a digital projector and and high gain white screen.
    It became obvious as soon as the lights went down in the screening room that the blue LEDS were killing the picture on the screen. It caused the picture to be washed out.
    The next day I completely covered the lights and even put a cover on the blue back lighted power seat controls as they were so disruptive while watching the movie.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.