What's new

Hold my hand as I buy a new TV : ) (1 Viewer)

Here's my story: have had a 55" Mits since 2000. Nothing but problems. New problem arises recently and techs (from P.C. Richard & Son in case someone was thinking of buying from them) come this morning and basically tell me they are not going to honor my service contract because they don't see anything wrong with it (there are serious convergence errors that Helen Keller herself could see) and also subtly imply that I am scamming them. So, I'm done with them and done with the TV.

immidiately went to the competition and I've just been approved for $2200 worth of credit at Best Buy. This is my ONLY option for buying a TV. It must be there, so no Best Buy bashing please. Anyway, I want a smaller set. 55" is obscene for my room. I'm thinking of a 46" or 48" set. I have some questions that I desperately need help with and whoever answers will be in my happy book for a long time to come. :)

1.) I DEFINITELY want this TV calibrated (didn't even know what calibration was when I was talked into getting this TV in 2000). Since I plan on getting it calibrated, should I even bother purchasing any kind of warranty or service contract with Best Buy since calibration voids the warranty anyway?

2.) Are there any year round, authorized calibrators in the Long Island/Queens/NYC area?

2.) The TV will be in my bedroom where I will watch it from across the room on a smallish twin bed. Will I need a stand for the TV and, if so, should I go with the TV manufacturer's stand or go with one from an independent company?

3.) Most importantly, what TV should I get? I know, its a dumb, flame inducing question, but what can I get at Best Buy with the amount of $ I have available to me in the size range I'm after that will look the best once calibrated.

Thanks very much in advance! I think that's all...

Anyone??

I may have narrowed my options between the Sony KP-46WT500 and the Toshiba 46H83. Out of the two the Sony seems to get the better reviews. I see Toshiba also has a 46H84 model. Can anyone give me some insight to this set compared to the 83? I can't seem to find any reviews online.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think we are afraid to suggest anything, as most of us, have had some of the best of the best experiences with Mitsu HDTV's.....

Tosh and Sony, are both right up there in terms of respect.
I am not familure at all with any displays in that size range, so I am not a good source.

Just hated to see no replies for you here.

Thanks for the reply, John. At least someone did. Silly me coming to a site named Home Theater Forum and asking questions related to that subject. ;)

I needed these questions answered as quickly as possible because I have some big $ decisions to make in the next few days and I don't want to make the mistakes I made with my last TV. Oh, well...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well that is my point, most here, including myself would have pointed you towards a Mitsu.....

Your experience with your current Mitsu, sort of stopped us in our tacks....

The Mitsubishi your replacing is a fairly top rated set, I can only assume you got a lemon, and probably have just as big of a chance getting a lemon Sony or Tosh as well.

What do I know though? I bought a 60" Philips, love it, and most really frown on them around here.

Best of luck man.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Justin, I have the 46h83, so I can give you my thoughts on it. To be honest, the main reason I bought it was because it was exactly the size I needed to fit into my entertainment center. I’ve had it a year now though and am very familiar with all its good and bad points. Bad news first? It pushes red. My own calibration helped. A pro will probably help a lot more. The only other negative is that there is a white line that runs vertically down the middle of the screen. Not really white, but a bright line. Oddly, I only notice this during very very bright scenes. The first time I ever noticed this was watching Fargo. I noticed it again watching ESB. For some this would be a deal breaker, and I’ve read several have reported this problem. Just look closely for yourself before deciding. Also, I’m not crazy about the protective screen, but with my 3 year old pointing to Dora all the time, I’m glad it’s there.

The good? Mated with my Denon 2900, I get a nice, detailed progressive scan picture. With my HD receiver, I get eye popping HD. Again the colors are a bit on the red side, but not too bad. The Tosh has great stretch modes. DVI input will be nice to have when I have a source to use it with. Compact size. Overall I’m happy with the set. I’d love to have an ISF guy tweak for me. One day I will. I’ll keep this until I have a room to put a projector in. In the meantime, I’m enjoying mine. Just look out for the few issues I mentioned and decide if they are deal breakers or not. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.

PS, you will definaately need a stand. This is meant as a tabletop set. Also I bought mine at BB. No bashing except delivery was a hassle. I came out ahead in the end though. As for warranty, my understanding is that having an ISF guy open your set will definitely void the warrranty, so don't bother. The BB guy tried to sell me on having them calibrate the set. I asked if they were ISF certified. "Ummm, they are trained to do it."

Thanks for the reply, Wade. I've been reading about this white line problem in the Toshibas and that, in addition to some other negatives, have me leaning more toward the Sony. Decisions, decisions... Anyone else find this process extremely stressful and a downright pain in the behind?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Oh man.. I was both consumed and stressed, about which HDTV display would / could be just the right one for me.

Over 2 months of research and leg work, my friends and signifcant other were so sick of it and me. They would scream at me to just go buy something.

The day I decided to actually go buy it at Best Buy, as fate would have it, they were out of stock in the entire region. UUHHHGGGG Went online and saved about $600.00 and I am pleased with the display. I took some pretty serious trade offs in what I decided to get, but for my needs, I'm more convinced than ever it was best for the sources I view most, and will be viewing most for years to come.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi Justin,
1/2. It sounds like you are on a budget. Instead of getting the TV calibrated, I would save the couple of hundred and sink it into your new TV. Not to knock the ISF calibration at all but your TV out of the box and after doing your own calibrations should still look pretty damn good.

3. I think you should go with the matching stands always unless they really suck. They are normally expensive but matching stands usually complete the picture and look nice. Having said that, if I'm thinking of the same Sony TV you quoted, the matching is not all that great looking.

4. It sounds like you want something a step up from the 36" tubes. You can't afford DLP or LCD so that leaves you with CRT RP basically. Some of them look really great. I'm a huge Sony fan but the new Panasonic CRT RP's seem to have the edge in my opinion in terms of picture quality.

Hope that helps.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks