What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn - 5/12/15 (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thomas T said:
There's actually one of Hitchcock's most admired films that I think is worse than Jamaica Inn but I'm keeping my mouth shut to stave off the "You're crazy!", "Are you serious?", "You've got to be kidding!", "You're an idiot!" remarks.
Now you've got me curious. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. Some like the films I listed better but it's subjective.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thomas T said:
There's actually one of Hitchcock's most admired films that I think is worse than Jamaica Inn but I'm keeping my mouth shut to stave off the "You're crazy!", "Are you serious?", "You've got to be kidding!", "You're an idiot!" remarks.
I'm curious too. If you tell us, I might say you're crazy but I promise not to call you an idiot. :)

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
mikeyhitchfan said:
Wrong. He claims his lowest ebb in directing was Waltzes From Vienna (1933) in the Truffaut book. While I would place this film in the lower half of Hitchcock's films it is by no means his worst IMO. There's the the aforementioned Waltzes From Vienna, Number 17, Easy Virtue, The Skin Game, Murder!, and a few other silents. It's Laughton's film more so than Hitchcock's.

I'm afraid I'm with the naysayers on Jamaica Inn. Hitch basically hated costume pictures and as he said to Truffaut he should never have made them. Of the three main costume pix here, unlike many others here I love Under Capricorn despite (certainly not because of) its setting in some loopy fantasy version of 19th century OzTralia, but for Bergman and Jack Cardiff and those fabulous multi storey four to six minute travelling shots up and down and snaking all over the joint.

Waltzes from Vienna only came online for me last year, and while not quite relishing it, it's more interesting than I expected, but everything else of Hitch from the 30s is so much better than Jamaica or Waltzes, they're both really "for the record" pictures.

On a more positive note there's a 1080p trailer for it on Cohen's stunning new disc of Syncopation (from a 2k restoration) and the PQ looks very nice indeed.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott Merryfield said:
In my case, I am using Prime to decide if I like the film well enough to buy it, since I have never seen it either. I am not using it to judge the transfer of the film... but the film itself. I love Hitchcock, but do not feel the need to own everything he's made.
And that's quite reasonable. I love Hitchcock too, study his films, and I do want to have a complete library of his films. So for me, a blind buy is reasonable. You can learn a lot form even bad films so I imagine I'll find it interesting.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Travis and Mikey, if I mentioned the title then someone would inevitably ask why do I think it's a bad film then I'll have to give my reasons and then someone will counter with why it's one of Hitchcock's best and then I would have to defend my position then the thread gets derailed, etc.

I will say however that I do love one of Hitchcock's most maligned films: The Paradine Case.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Thomas T said:
Travis and Mikey, if I mentioned the title then someone would inevitably ask why do I think it's a bad film then I'll have to give my reasons and then someone will counter with why it's one of Hitchcock's best and then I would have to defend my position then the thread gets derailed, etc.

I will say however that I do love one of Hitchcock's most maligned films: The Paradine Case.

If it makes you feel better, I love Hitchcock but can't stand The Trouble With Harry and will take Jamaica Inn over that one. I find Harry to be a bore and although I get the humor, I don't find it interesting, unlike most of Hitchcock's humor.

Having said that, it's been a long time since I've seen Jamaica Inn and my opinion of it may change when i watch this new blu-ray.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Oh, fine, I'll throw in Rope, Harry, I Confess, Capricorn, Stage Fright, Paradine, Torn Curtain and Topaz as Hitchcocks that don't appeal to me despite some successful elements. Most flopped so it's not like I'm going out on a limb here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thomas T said:

I like it a lot, too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bob Cashill said:
Oh, fine, I'll throw in Rope, Harry, I Confess, Capricorn, Stage Fright, Paradine, Torn Curtain and Topaz as Hitchcocks that don't appeal to me despite some successful elements. Most flopped so it's not like I'm going out on a limb here.
Except for Rope and The Trouble With Harry, I'd say that those are the Hitchcock movies that I find to be the least successful too. I don't think any of them are bad though.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas T said:

I love The Paradine Case and find it endlessly fascinating. I long for a good Blu-ray disc.

My guess is the one you don't like is either Vertigo or Marnie. I love them both but well understand why some people don't appreciate them

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
I love The Paradine Case and find it endlessly fascinating. I long for a good Blu-ray disc.

My guess is the one you don't like is either Vertigo or Marnie. I love them both but well understand why some people don't appreciate them

Wrong, Robin. Vertigo and Marnie would be in m top 10 Hitchcocks. Okay, the film I detest is Shadow Of A Doubt. And lets let it end there and get back to Jamaica Inn.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don't know Jamaica Inn (at least I can't remember seeing it), and because even Hitch is not that fond of it, I don't expect one of his greatest pictures.

But I'm courious enough for a blind buy. :)

P.S.:

I never saw Shadow Of A Doubt too, when I bought the Hitchcock box-set. First I didn't know what to think of if.

Maybe because of Joseph Cotten I began to like it. But I liked the ending from the beginning. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm sure every Hitchcock fan has certain "classics" that he or she is not fond of, so no reason for anyone to not share those opinions, as long as they are discussed in a civil manner -- as is happening here. Personally, while I love The Trouble With Harry, I could understand why some fans would not care for it. I find the idea of those folks digging up Harry's body over and over again quite funny, but I'm sure others do not -- humor is a very personal thing.

For me, I've never been a big fan of a few of his later films -- Family Plot, and Topaz.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
A friend of mine has been posting me long emails 'proving' that Hitch's 'The 39 Steps' is one of the worst movies of all times. It's a film I love, and sadly,, my friend just doesn't get the point that its plot illogicalities don't matter when all Hitchcock was doing was crafting a totally enjoyable comic thriller.

You just can't please all of the people all of the time.....

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
One issue with Jamaica Inn that's not often cited is that the material was heavily compromised from the original source material. In addition to constant script revisions, 10 minutes were ultimately cut by the PCA during post-production.

As with many British films by the late 1930s, Jamaica Inn had to be significantly alter to conform with the Production Code of America mostly because the source material had significant segments that were not deemed suitable. Most notably, the central villain Francis Drake is written out and his character is replaced by a character entirely of Laughton's own creation. That in addition to several other changes mostly to appease the PCA.

There was also a significantly altered suicide which makes the ending a bit more curious than it should, something Hitchcock evidently got around by the time he made Notorious

Not only did Hitchcock not think much of the film, The author of the book, Daphne Du Maurier, also disowned the film to the point of having her name removed from the film credits. I also don't think it has many fans of those who read the book either (including those who haven't)

Sure, a film like The Birds also bears little resemblance to the source material but it was a creative decision made at the film's inception, not one imposed by the censor board or by the producers. Also Hitchcock apparently took the job on Jamaica Inn without reading the source material first. It seems he would learn from that mistake.

I guess in the case of Jamaica Inn, the consensus it to skip it and read the book instead unless you're Hitchcock/Laughton completists. Personally I think it's more interesting for Laughton's perfomance than anything, kind of a callback to his earlier Paramount performances.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
It would appear that I stand alone here in liking Jamaica Inn.

I agree it isn't Hitchcock's finest, but that doesn't mean it's bad. For instance, there are several Beatles songs that the band itself disliked, but which are nevertheless very good and extremely popular.

I thought the eerie atmosphere created in this film was palpable and Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara's performances memorable.

For a change Robert Newton played pirate-chaser instead of pirate (as he would go on to play so notably as Long John Silver and Blackbeard).

Charles Laughton discovered Maureen O'Hara and started her career in this film. That in itself is enough to make this a priceless treasure for me.

Hitchcock never said this was his worst movie, but said that he disliked it, and his interview with Truffaut makes it clear why: he clashed with Laughton and didn't have things his own way, which understandably left a bitter taste. That's not reason enough to write-off this film, and I for one have always enjoyed it. There is plenty of Hitch's signature tension and suspense throughout.

Please view with an open mind.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am SO eager to see this film again. I haven't watched it since buying and watching a murky public domain VHS copy. I didn't totally dislike it then (I did think it moved rather slowly), but I don't think I can really offer much of an opinion without seeing it in the best condition possible.

But I don't mind being in the minority about certain minor Hitchcocks that I really like a lot (the list of which includes Stage Fright, The Paradine Case, and Torn Curtain).

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I don't hate it, either. It's not one of my favorite films of his, but since I'm a Hitchcock completist I'll buy it. I've had a few DVD versions over the years, but of course now that it'll look pristine I'm very much looking forward to seeing it again as it's been several years since I last saw it.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
TravisR said:
Same here.

mikeyhitchfan said:
I don't hate it, either. It's not one of my favorite films of his, but since I'm a Hitchcock completist I'll buy it. I've had a few DVD versions over the years, but of course now that it'll look pristine I'm very much looking forward to seeing it again as it's been several years since I last saw it.
Ditto

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks