What's new

Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn - 5/12/15 (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
AnthonyClarke said:
Amazon used to offer a 'combine orders' service which let you get combined postage for several items pre-ordered at different times. That was a real money-saver. I can't understand why they scrapped that !
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware, and shame they've scrapped it. Seems like an ideal solution.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Jamaica Inn is currently $22.99 on Amazon.
Thanks for the heads up. I had it in my cart, but hadn't pulled the trigger because of the price. I have now. It's one of the Hitchcock's I haven't seen and I'm really looking forward to it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is one Hitchcock film that I am not acquainted with. I noticed it is available for free viewing if you have an Amazon Prime membership. I added the title to my watch list to check out before buying this to add to my Hitchcock collection.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Amazon version may be of poor quality and not reflect the coming release. It will still give you a taste that this is not top-drawer Hitchcock. Still, even middling Hitchcock...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This ain't no middling Hitchcock. This is the single worst movie Alfred Hitchcock ever made. Even he thought so.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I wasn't making a case for it. I was just trying to lower the expectations of those who still haven't seen this film. It's still a well-crafted film. Had it not been directed by Hitchcock, it would have become a 1939 footnote.

Maureen O'Hara is lovely in it, so there's one virtue in it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm not expecting it to be great, but I want to own it and I also want my first viewing to be as good as it can be so I'll skip the Amazon Prime showing.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It was named one of the fifty worst films of all time in that 1978 volume, but so were Last Year at Marienbad and Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible. It's not that bad but I think Hitchcock was eager to get to Hollywood.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bujaki said:
I wasn't making a case for it. I was just trying to lower the expectations of those who still haven't seen this film. It's still a well-crafted film. Had it not been directed by Hitchcock, it would have become a 1939 footnote.

Maureen O'Hara is lovely in it, so there's one virtue in it.

I'm one of those who think it's a pretty bad movie. I've seen it only once and once is probably enough.

However, if a new disc presents Maureen O'Hara properly, I might buy it. Very much a matter of personal taste, I know, but for me Maureen O'Hara has one of the ten best faces in film history.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Anyone who lumps Last Year at Marienbad, Ivan the Terrible and Jamaica Inn in a list of worst films ever has no idea what he's talking about, and is clueless about films. I would throw that book in the outhouse where it belongs. De gustibus...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It was very much a book of its time, tipping sacred cows. But I do think any list of Hitchcock duds would have to include Jamaica Inn.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The 1978 version is written by Medved right? There you go...

...that said Jamaica Inn still sucks, even Under Capricorn is better.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DavidJ said:
I'm not expecting it to be great, but I want to own it and I also want my first viewing to be as good as it can be so I'll skip the Amazon Prime showing.

In my case, I am using Prime to decide if I like the film well enough to buy it, since I have never seen it either. I am not using it to judge the transfer of the film... but the film itself. I love Hitchcock, but do not feel the need to own everything he's made.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Lord Dalek said:
This ain't no middling Hitchcock. This is the single worst movie Alfred Hitchcock ever made. Even he thought so.

Wrong. He claims his lowest ebb in directing was Waltzes From Vienna (1933) in the Truffaut book. While I would place this film in the lower half of Hitchcock's films it is by no means his worst IMO. There's the the aforementioned Waltzes From Vienna, Number 17, Easy Virtue, The Skin Game, Murder!, and a few other silents. It's Laughton's film more so than Hitchcock's.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There's actually one of Hitchcock's most admired films that I think is worse than Jamaica Inn but I'm keeping my mouth shut to stave off the "You're crazy!", "Are you serious?", "You've got to be kidding!", "You're an idiot!" remarks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks