What's new

Hitachi 46f500 (1 Viewer)

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
My perants what to buy a HD RPTV and the sales person that they always go recomended the Hitachi 46f500. I know very litle about RPTVs and my father knows even less then i do. so i would like to know if anyone has any opinions on the Quality of this tv or hitatchi tv's in general. I understand that people don't like the upconversion of all signals to 540p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Uncalibrated, this set has good 3 dimensionality and depth to the picture, but the reds in people's faces are out of control and the picture looks a little cold/steely blue. After calibration, it becomes an absolutely wonderful performer. I've calibrated the bigger version of this set plus a number of other Hitachis, and I was mightily impressed. The color decoder is fully adjustable, so although like most sets it comes with the red pumped way up, it can be made perfect. The color of gray is bluish from the factory, but that too can be made very accurate.
I don't have any complaints about the 540p thing. The odd thing about it, though, is that you will have to experiment with your DVD player to see if it looks better being set to progressive or interlaced output. I compared the int/prog output of a good Panasonic DVD player on a Hitachi that upconverted to 540p, and I couldn't see the slightest difference. I tried many DVD's, including the DVE test patterns.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Just beware of the pastel color / solarization issue that some Hitachi sets still have.

Takes away for image depth as all images look flat ...

Regards

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the information
is it possible to callibrate this tv yourself.
My perants live in a small town and there is no profesionals there that can set it up for them.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Short of grayscale work with equipment, you can do it all yourself.

Just like you can do a car tune up yourself if so inclined.

Regards

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
So if it's possible to set up the tv how would i go about doing it. Is there anything web sites that i can look at to help me figure it out.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The F500 Hitachi televisions came out as strong contenders on 2 different magazine "Shoot Outs". I have my eye on one because of this. Your parents salesman is doing a honest job in recommending a great performer at a budget price.

The other unit that scored high-marks (including out-of-the-box adjusment) was the Sony KP-57WS510.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Keohihdtv site is a good start for tips. You might also try coming back here to ask specific questions if need be.

regards

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I just bought myself a 46F500 last Friday at the local Sears. They price matched it to an online retailer and I got it for less than $1349 ($1338 I think it was) plus tax. After playing around with the brightness, contrast, and color settings, I couldn't be happier with the picture on this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks