What's new

Amazon Prime High value Warner movies on Prime Video.. (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
By value I mean HD movie purchases that I don't own on Blu-ray, that are only slightly more expensive than a rental or far cheaper than Blu-ray. I have most of these movies on DVD so I can vouch for them. If anyone has streamed these feel free to comment on picture quality (degree of upgrade from DVD?):
A Night At The Opera
Badlands
Barry Lyndon
Blow Up
Captain Blood
Coma
Easter Parade
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
The Magnificent Ambersons
Mildred Pierce
Night Moves
Out Of The Past
Papillon
The Sea Hawk
Straight Time
To Have & Have Not

I checked with Amazon, if you drop Prime membership in the future, your purchased movie library is still accessible.
Most of these are NOT available on HBOmax.
Feel free to post your own list. Cheers!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Rule of thumb, if they originally came out on Blu-ray through Warner Home Video, the HD streaming version will be the same master, but if the Blu-ray debut was through Warner Archive Collection, the streaming version will be an older master. There are exceptions of course. However with HBOMax pretty much all their streams are the newest masters.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Rule of thumb, if they originally came out on Blu-ray through Warner Home Video, the HD streaming version will be the same master, but if the Blu-ray debut was through Warner Archive Collection, the streaming version will be an older master. There are exceptions of course. However with HBOMax pretty much all their streams are the newest masters.
OK, thanks for that info, I'll do some cross checking tomorrow and report back.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
By value I mean HD movie purchases that I don't own on Blu-ray, that are only slightly more expensive than a rental or far cheaper than Blu-ray. I have most of these movies on DVD so I can vouch for them. If anyone has streamed these feel free to comment on picture quality (degree of upgrade from DVD?):
A Night At The Opera
Badlands
Barry Lyndon
Blow Up
Captain Blood
Coma
Easter Parade
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
The Magnificent Ambersons
Mildred Pierce
Night Moves
Out Of The Past
Papillon
The Sea Hawk
Straight Time
To Have & Have Not

I checked with Amazon, if you drop Prime membership in the future, your purchased movie library is still accessible.
Most of these are NOT available on HBOmax.
Feel free to post your own list. Cheers!
From your list above, I own what's in bold. Anything not in bold, I do not own. Example, Badlands, I own the Criterion Blu-ray which is why it's in bold. The iTunes HD Digital I never purchased, thus it's not bolded. Many of my Warner Archive Blu-rays that I purchased came after I already purchased the iTunes HD digital beforehand. The same with some of my Criterion Blu-rays. As you can see, I own all of the Blu-rays.

A Night At The Opera (Warner Archive Blu-ray, my iTunes Digital derived from older scan)
Badlands (Criterion Blu-ray, iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
Barry Lyndon (Criterion Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
Blow Up (Criterion Blu-ray, iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
Captain Blood (2005 Warner DVD, my iTunes HD Digital derived from same scan)
Coma (2012 Warner Blu-ray, iTunes HD Digital derived from same scan)
Easter Parade (2013 Warner Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from same scan)
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (Criterion Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
The Magnificent Ambersons (Criterion Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)

Mildred Pierce (Criterion Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
Night Moves (Warner Archive Blu-ray, iTunes HD digital derived from older scan)
Out Of The Past (Warner Archive Blu-ray, iTunes HD digital derived from older scan)
Papillon (2011 Warner Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from same scan)
The Sea Hawk (Warner Archive Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
Straight Time (Warner Archive Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)
To Have & Have Not (Warner Archive Blu-ray, my iTunes HD Digital derived from older scan)

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Many thanks, that's excellent info. You appear to be an avid collector and I assume had DVDs prior to HD. Were there any iTunes streams that were a disappointment in comparison with DVD?

Last edited:

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I purchased the Out Of The Past and To Have & Have Not WAC Blu-rays, they are a definite and worthwhile upgrade from DVD. I missed The Big Sleep in my original list, I have the DVD and it's very good but the DVD and Blu-ray screen captures at DVDBeaver don't show much of an upgrade, does anyone know better?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I purchased the Out Of The Past and To Have & Have Not WAC Blu-rays, they are a definite and worthwhile upgrade from DVD. I missed The Big Sleep in my original list, I have the DVD and it's very good but the DVD and Blu-ray screen captures at DVDBeaver don't show much of an upgrade, does anyone know better?
Read this thread to your heart's content as I think it covers everything about "The Big Sleep" Blu-ray.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Read this thread to your heart's content as I think it covers everything about "The Big Sleep" Blu-ray.
Thanks Robert, good to know my DVD is not redundant. There is very little discussion of video & audio quality, more emphasis on versions and plot details. I assume the picture quality is the best it will ever be!

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've just watched The Big Sleep DVD again. There is a lot of print damage and it's not discussed in the link. Does the Blu-ray improve upon the DVD when it comes to damage?
P.S. I noticed a big improvement with To Have & Have Not but Out Of The Past didn't need much cleanup!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks