What's new

High End Video Tv's VS FP (1 Viewer)

MikeKeck

Grip
I'm usually just a reader and not a poster, but I need some help. I'm piecing together a home theater system and am doing ok so far, but now I'm to the tv. Im trying to decide between a TV and a FP, Not wanting to buy a FP and not like it, I need to be sure. Im looking for as High end as i could afford, so heres the deal. Would it be better to buy the best tv I could with 6500 or invest that in a Front projector? Another thing is that i know pretty much didly squat about FP but I want one that supports all resolutions (480p, 720p, & 1080i). My room is also about 20x20. Thanks guys!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
blanket statment:
very few people who dip into FP ever come to regret the decision.

some things to consider in your decision making process
-usage: do you want something to use daily for channel surfing?
are you just going to sit down for a couple hours per night with it?

-lighting: do you have control of all the light coming into the room? do you want a pj that you can use with some light on in the room

-how far back will your seating be?
-will you want to ceiling mount the pj?

what size image would you like? with an FP you can project just about as large as you want, but you will always get the *best* image if you take it down a bit.

there are no native 1080i pjs available at this time (anywhere near your price range) however- there are very nice 1/2 HD res pjs (1280 x 720) well within you range, and low enough that you would have money left over for
-a good professional screen
and/or
-a conventional tv so that you could save hours on your bulb, and it make an even bigger impact when you fire up the pj for 'special' viewing.

just for reference,
i'm on my second pj. its an XGA resolution (768 x 1024).
i use a screen that cost me $40 to make, for 2 1/2 yrs now, and its worked great.
the pj is fed by 2 dvd players via $30 breakout cables and dvds are my sole viewing material.
i no longer watch tv in my spare time.
if i keep the screensize down and my viewing distance to close to 2 screenwidths back, the image is gorgeous (on good source material of course).

it would absolutley sucjk to go back to tv viewing.
i don't care if someone offered to trade me an $8K plasma, i wouldn't want to give up my pj.
there is just something special about that stream of light throwing a picture up.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
ARe you willing to use an HTPC?

How dark can you get the room?

Are you technically proficient, or willing to embark on a hobby, or would you prefer a plug-n-play setup?

For 6500, I'd go for a 8in LC EM focused CRT in mint condition, or I'd stretch your budget up just a nudge, and find an HD2+ DLP projector, you can find those if you do some hunting for under 10K.

Regardless, I'd definitely go FP over an RPTV.

MikeKeck

Grip
Thanks for all the information. It sounds like the FP is a winner yet I am going to watch the TV during the day and I also do like to actually see the TV. I know how cool a FP could be but its still a really hard decision. The room can be controlled but I will want to watch TV with the lights on sometimes. This all came about when I went to Fry's electronics to buy a 50" Sammy DLP, next to it was a 60" grand wega and a 60" grand wega XBR. There was no comparison, the sammy lost out big time. Then i thought I would just save a little more and instead of the 60" grand wega XBR, I would save a 1000 more and get the 70" Grand wega XBR. So that would be the RP LCD I would get if i decided on a TV. As for ceiling mounting the FP, I will be doing so in the future, but temporarily its not going to be. So i guess my last question would be If I were looking a FP what brands would I look, How many lumens should it have, and what contrast ratio would be the best? Thank you all for your time and help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks