What's new

Hi, Speed - iPhone event confirmed for 10/13 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Changing gears slightly for a moment...

I was reading stories about the assumed panic that was going on in Cupertino when a day before their big event, photos of all the iPhones were leaked online.

I wish I could find the article, but it really went into depth about how difficult it is for Apple to trust the people they partner with and control the information that is leaking from a company that is (or was) known for their tight security in keeping a lid on future product releases.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Free Apple TV+ subscriptions officially extended to Feb. 2021 – Six Colors
Apple’s still offering free year-long subscriptions to TV+ for those who buy a new Apple device

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave, I just checked my email and I got one too! Great news. I’ve been meaning to check out some shows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daring Fireball: Thoughts and Observations on Apple’s ‘Hi, Speed’ iPhone 12 Event
“Really, the product names tell you how to understand the lineup. The iPhone 12 is the new iPhone — almost certainly the best choice for most people in the market for a new-model-year iPhone. Unless they really want an iPhone that is smaller, in which case they should, with no hesitation, get the iPhone 12 Mini. In terms of features and specs, it’s exactly like the iPhone 12, just smaller. It’s also $100 cheaper — but the reason to buy a 12 Mini is the size, not the price. If a lower price is more meaningful to you than device size, you should probably either get an iPhone 11 or XR and save some money, or, for a smaller device, get an iPhone SE and save a lot of money.”

Daring Fireball: Thoughts and Observations on Apple’s ‘Hi, Speed’ iPhone 12 Event

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The DF price summary made me realize why I’m ok with the Pro Max this year compared to last year. Last year, when I considered upgrading, I was looking at the 11, because the 11 Pro was $300 more expensive (!) and the 11 Pro Max was $400 more expensive (!!). And getting above 64GB made the pricing chasm $400 (!!) and $500 (!!!).

In short, the apparent price difference between the “—“ and the “Pro” was vast: an 11 Pro Max for me would have cost almost as much as a pair of 11’s for me and my wife (!!!!).

So, I waited another year.

This year, the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max have effectively dropped in price by $150 by having 128GB as the base configuration. And the 12 increased in priced by $100 with the same 64GB base configuration.

So now my perception is $200 to $300 more gets me loads of storage, the best cameras, and much more battery life (and more RAM, which is super useful for 3+ years usage).

I recognize I’m being tricked to changing my viewpoint from “OMG $1100 too much!” to “$1100 reasonable incremental price” by marketing and minor feature updates. Yeah, I’m human. But also, it’s from waiting a year and feeling more ok about big tech splurge after three years than two.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@DaveF, that was why I upgraded (myself and my firstborn) to the regular 11 last year -- on top of those diffs, the 11 Pro was actually also somewhat smaller (and smaller than new 12/Pro/Max) and had modestly less battery life as a result. Granted, the regular 11 didn't use AMOLED, but I don't think that's a big deal.

This time no real reason to consider the regular 12 IMHO.

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I see that AT&T is actually offering a pretty sweet trade in offer for previous iPhones if I were to agree to a 30 month contract (guess they're really worried about us jumping ship to another carrier).

Currently only the 12 and 12 Pro are available. I am really wanting to go to a larger screen, so I am not super tempted by either one. But if this offer is still around when the 12 Pro Max preorders are available, I may actually jump on the offer.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I get that not everyone's needs are the same, but I'd counsel anyone thinking about the new iPad Air to consider the pro or waiting for the next pro...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I get that not everyone's needs are the same, but I'd counsel anyone thinking about the new iPad Air to consider the pro or waiting for the next pro...
I considered waiting for the next Pro. But given the iPad Air price increase, I think it’s a cinch that the (presumed) 2021 iPad Pro will increase at least $100 to start at $899, if not $999. So, iPad Air it is. It’s really the sweet spot in 2020 for the non-pro enthusiast.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is a good review. But it’s the comments on Apple's conflation of "pro" with "boring" that gets my attention. I said as much a week ago, and I'm gratified to not be alone. :)

iPhone 12 & iPhone 12 Pro review: Family resemblance – Six Colors
In contrast, the iPhone 12 Pro is—well, it’s fine. It’s pretty much the playbook Apple has been using on the iPhone for years—a shiny metal band (that really picks up fingerprints) and a muted back color. Last year Apple finally added some color to the black/silver/gold trinity with the addition of Midnight Green, and this year that choice has been replaced with Pacific Blue.

While it’s nice to see color, Apple’s choices are still incredibly restrained. Apparently bright colors aren’t professional. Personally, I think it’s a shame that you have to choose between an iPhone with a fun personality and an iPhone with a better camera. But as long as Apple insists that pro equals boring (with the possible exception of a little fingerprint-mottled stainless steel bling), that’s where we’ll be. I look forward to next year’s Moonlight Brown or Deep Tan iPhone Pro.

After the iPhone 12 series was announced, I began to prepare myself to give up pro features and looks in case I wanted the iPhone 12 mini. I didn’t expect to prefer the straight-up iPhone 12 to the iPhone 12 Pro, but that’s what happened. It looks better, feels better, and is appreciably lighter than the pro model. Your mileage may vary, but I hope the future of the iPhone looks more like the iPhone 12 than the iPhone 12 Pro.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm waiting for advance "preparation to order" starts on (presumably) Friday where I can pick my phone and payment option then save it for quick selection on November 6th at 8am EST.

Going with the Pro Max. Probably Pacific Blue, though if I go with a leather folio case again this year the color of the phone really doesn't matter.

The big choice is 512 or 256 storage. There is a $200 difference. With my music library on my phone, I am at 188GB with all my apps and such. I could get away with 256GB this year but if I want to add a lot more music I could be playing with fire with my storage.

So, the first option is iPhone Pro Max, Pacific Blue, 512GB, Folio Case

The second Option is iPhone Pro Max, Pacific Blue, 256GB, clear case plus Apple Care (as the clear case will not offer enough protection)

=======

Magsafe: I know people are excited about this. I could kind of care less.

I have no issues with slow charging of my phones, though the Pro Max is a new animal when it comes to the bigger battery.

Initially, I am not going to buy any Magsafe chargers. I hear the magnets are not very tight to the phone and if you have a leather case they leave a mark on them.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I only ordered a standard 12 and not a 12 Pro but FedEx shows it should be delivered by 8PM today. I didn’t order the MagSafe puck or a 20W charger but those will surely be making their way to my house within the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks