What's new

Heroes season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

??? Sylar has no extraordinay healing ability, and you can kill someone quite adequately by stabbing him with a kitchen knife if you hit the right spot. Running someone through with a sword can certainly do the job. (And was quite a popular method of killing people before the invention of gun-powder. ;))

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
When Hiro walked around Sylar, after running him thru, I thought he was going to behead him. Was surprised he did not.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No one in the show has made a precise inventory of Sylar's powers. They are not aware of all his abilities neither are we for that matter. These are extraordinay circumstances, and in a world where people can fly or heal, extra steps are warranted to make sure he stays dead. Consequently, they should have debrained him, just to be sure.

But things happened pretty quickly anyway. Maybe he slithered away while everyone everyone was concerned with Peter increasing instability.

--
H

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

He referred to him as the Haitian guy at the bar before coming into contact with anyone who actually knew him.

My question was more in jest, though, as it's one of the few "questions" that wasn't answered this season :)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

He read the minds of the script writers?
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Moving over from another thread, where I also will all the 'main' characters to survive. :)

Yes but this does not factor the "lesson's by Hollywood, chapter 3 paragraph four."
Why I love moments in things like "Jeepers Creepers" when the Sister goes back and runs over the winged 'thing' over and over till her brother says 'enough!' (and of course it is not) (enough ;) )

Nathan is a chiseled white-collar archetype rounding out the many facets of Hero world.
(and excellent in the role)
I hope both he and Peter return.
Sylar's too good a bad guy to get bumped off first season.
I want to kill him myself, but I know that is the scripts intent as regards evoking viewer reaction.
Maybe they'll turn Sylar to the good, he'd never make up for his past, (but could run around trying)
Did I see something like "please kill me" above Sylars head during a last shot of the painting he created of Peter and himself squared off? Been meaning to cue that scene back up.
Mayhap Peter calmed by the displayed 'love' of his brother, will gain enough control during the flight to channel the energy like a baseball hit out of the park?
Would love to see more of Charles, his presence on screen is an asset.

Count me amongst those not needing a big showdown between Sylar & Peter, at this juncture, all the 'threads' converging in the plaza was enough. Less can be good, I remember a 'Matrix' where I was looking at my watch during battles.

Love Noah's place in things.
Loved Jessica's swing.

Great, great season. Very satisfied. :emoji_thumbsup:

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The writers originally planned on Sylar only being on Season 1, so he probably would have been beheaded. But Zachary Quinto/Sylar became so popular with fans that they had to keep him around. He's kind of like the Fonz (if Fonzie was a psycho killer).

Mary M S

Screenwriter
:laugh:

I don't know how my brain saw, "Pz kill me" just went and queued scene in question up, I was sure I saw letters floating up towards his portraits head, as Sylar painted by telekinesis.

It appears to be
Kll by pl......
or lll by pl.....
scratches with smoke like trails.

I was worried seeing one posters idea that the 'cut out your heart' legend, might relate later to Hiro's having to make a choice about his waitress, or Ando.

I took it (or hoped for) during the next to last eposide, - as more simply, Hiro being lessoned by his father, to cut out his deeply ingrained and admirable antipathy as regards taking any life.
(which caused his initial stutter hesitation while he lurked during the Snow Globe scene)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

And Sylar really could just hit a jukebox and make it play, I bet! Though, he really ought to debrain Micah and get that power before it becomes his trademark.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

At best, he'd be Dr. Smith from Lost in Space. Sylar could never truly be good as it's his weakness that makes him behave as he does. He might decide to chill, but he'd always be capable of turning back in the right situation.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

As said above, I think it said Kirby Plaza.

But about Sylar going in a different direction:

I thought it was interesting that when Peter and Sylar confronted each other and Peter started to go nuclear, Sylar said something to the effect of, "See, you're the villain. And I'm the hero." The impression I got was that he was leaning towards killing Peter to stop the explosion, so that he could be "important". But then the others kept the fight going, and things played out as they did.

Sylar is a messed up individual, but in his mind he hasn't done the things he's done just for the sake of being evil or cruel. He just wanted to be powerful and important, and his twisted logic made it okay in his eyes to kill those with powers who "didn't deserve them" so he could wield the power instead.

When he thought that he was going to explode and destroy the city, he didn't seem to be happy about all the "innocent" people that would be killed. It seemed as though after his encounter with his mother that he was pushed over the edge into thinking that he should make the city go "boom". But maybe I mis-read that. Maybe he saw this as an opportunity to use the powers he acquired to do something "important" and stop the explosion by killing Peter, hence he said to Peter, "You're the villain and I'm the hero". Any other takes on that?

So yeah, maybe he could ultimately become a "hero" with a twisted sense of vigilante justice, kinda like Venom (from Spider-Man) eventually became.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Kirby Plaza!!!
Thanks, perfect sense now. :)

Yes I felt Sylar was disturbed (pun intended :) ) at first, by the idea of his self immolation and destruction of innocents.
Rattled enough to search out his roots.
Terrible choice as his mother appears to be part origin of his problems, inadvertently pushing in the wrong direction.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I'm betting they won't go that route. Part of the concept of the show is that each season is a relatively self-contained story arc (that's why they're called "volumes" and have titles ["Genesis" for volume 1, "Generations" for volume 2, etc.]). I'm thinking that the bomb business is pretty well behind us and they're going to start up a totally new story arc in season 2.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

The mother is always the source/contributor to the problems of the bad guys, even in real life. Look at the profiles of serial killers, all had mother issues.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I didn't watch the finale until Thursday night, so I had over 160 comments to catch up on here. :)

Though I'm not disappointed, I expected the final showdown to be more spectacular than it was. I know they don't have a $100 million budget, but count me as one who believes the fight scene could have been significantly enhanced by nothing more than more creative fight choreography and clever editing, with no increase in FX budget. These writers need to watch a few more Jackie Chan movies! :) Still, it was a great ending to a spectacular television season.

Now on to the geekazoid stuff

There are two kinds of radiation in a nuclear explosion: electromagnetic (light), and particle (as detected by a geiger counter). The EM radiation does travel at the speed of light (since that's what it is), but the particle radiation is significantly slower than the blast front and has a more limited range. Particle radiation is also, however, the most lingering complication of a nuclear blast since it (or rather the particles from which it emanates) can be spread by wind and rain to regions far outside the blast radius (this is the infamous fallout). So radiation is faster AND slower than the blast front. It just depends on which kind you're talking about. There are also two kinds of heat produced (infrared and conductive), and the same arguments apply there as well.

So Isaac's paintings can be controverted. I expected the writers to come up with a frightfully clever way for Isaac's depiction of the bomb to come true without actually blowing up NYC. Even a considerable cheat, like Hiro's encounter with a dinosaur, would have been good enough. But they just chose to make the explosion the one depicted event that doesn't come to pass. Oh, well.

Also, out of the 160 or so comments since the finale, how could nobody mention concern for the timeline's integrity now that Hiro's gone back to 17th century Japan? What kind of geeks are you people? (;)) if Hiro can save New York City by going back in time to give Peter an assignment and call Nathan a villain, how can the present time line not be totally obliterated by adding a time-travelling dork in a cardigan sweater to 1671 Japan? It's already been established that making alterations in the past effects changes in the present (and future), so the argument that "if He does go to 1671 Japan, then he always was in 1671 Japan" doesn't fly. Branching time lines are the established consequence of mucking around in the past. So if Hiro, for example, simply tells the emperor to "live long and prosper" with his Vulcan high-five, he could return to the present to find that Japan has emerged as a HyperMegaGlobalSuperPower Nation, totally precluding the existence of a United States, a New York City, or a cheerleader named Claire.

Would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
...Isaacs painting of NYC is part of F2. Had he tried to depict the same event after Hiro came back from the future in "5 Years Gone", I trust he would have painted an explosion far above the city.

NYC has been nuked. Twice :).

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks