What's new

help with two sub setup please (1 Viewer)

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver pumping an Enery Take 5 and Energy XLS10 subwoofer for a couple years. It's great for my needs. I recently moved the furniture around a bit and wife commented that we should fill the space up on the other side of the TV and a second subwoofer would look make it look symetrical. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people having two subs, but my knowledge is limited in these matters. How would one hook up a second sub? I only have one sub out on the receiver. What sound differences could I expect? How much would it matter for the second sub to be the same make/model as the first?
Thanks,
Satch

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Zane Johnson

Agent
you can buy an RCA "Y" connecter at Radio Shack two split the subwoofer output into two RCA's...
it would be best to have two of the same subwoofers at the same crossover point, volume, etc.
yeah it would sound better if your a bass lover :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they have changed the 10" since you got yours, but if it doesn't have a variable phase control I don't think you'll be successful in getting two of them to integrate properly with one on either side of each main speaker.
Technically you are supposed to get a 6db gain from using two subs instead of one. With the 10" energy if you stacked them or sat them right next to each other you likely would. If you spread them out then you'll run into cancelling and summing problems. Some bass frequencies will be much louder while others will be much quieter than with just one sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks