What's new

Help with Theater Location in Basement (1 Viewer)

Jeff P

Agent
We are just about the start to pour the foundation for our new home - I need advise on where to put the theater and how big.

Ideally it would seat 6-8 people and will have DLP Projector with 100" screen

I was hoping for 14' x 16-18' room without taking too much space. Ideally it will be left of stairs when looking at the pic

1. Space near windows left open for rec area to accomadate pool table/ping pong etc.
2. Beam Issues ( need beam every 12'6 span) - We can break it into two beams in that span

Any thoughts on how you would do it??

I could put it in the upper left hand corner, but that does take alot of rec area space, leaving an odd shaped room below.

I thought about running it parallel to the angled wall below that but didn't know what everyone thought about the room size (does it always need to be a rectangle shape??)

Thanks for your time!!

UPDATE

WALLS ARE NOW POUR AND DUE TO MECHANICAL ROOM ISSUES, I HAVE TWO OPTIONS THAT I LIKE. THE WALL TO THE LEFT OF THE STAIRS IS 14' LONG. I can make that the projection wall and extend the room to the left. The only problem is the angle of the concrete at the bottom. The other option is to run the room perpendicular to the stairs and project to the wall at the bottom of the pic (wall size is 13' and make the room 16' long (or two feet above the stair on the pics)

Thoughts?? We really want to keep the top part of the basement as open as possible....

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I would put it on the wall where the screen looks best and it's enough space for 8 people.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Hey Jeff

A few points to consider...what you want/need the other space for may help you better locate your room. If you want to keep most of the other floor space open, then the upper left would be the ideal place without breaking up the rest of the floor plan. If you run it parallel to the angled wall, you will have that support column to contend with. Other things to think about is will there be HVAC, electrical, or plumbing equipment in any particular areas? Will sound be an issue for the above living area? Are there any height clearence issues?

Judging by your floor plan, I would place it in the upper left with the screen on the wall marked 18'3". the support column should wind up in the back wall. The odd shaped room could then be squared off to house some of your equipment and/or used for storage space (your going to have an odd shaped room regardless) This still leaves (looks to be) over 800 sq foot of open space in the upper section. Plenty of room for pool table, pingpong, foosball, bar...etc...

Good luck, and keep us up to date
Bill

Jeff P

Agent
Thanks for the advice Bill - Looking at the plan again, I think you are correct in your assessment. We would just need to move the wet bar and relocate the mechanical closet. I think the other space would be adequate for other entertainment purposes...

Now to figure the dimensions out...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
None of your measurements should be divisible by each other. It also needs to be a rectangular shape with the screen on the short wall. You don't want to start off with bad acoustics right off the bat.

Perhaps I'm looking at this plan wrong since I don't know all the other obstructions, and I don't know how tall the ceiling is, but I would put the theater in the upper right and use the alcove to put some of your DVD's, equipment etc. (like a small closet with a "hidden" door accessed from within your theater, etc. and then block off the rest of the alcove's opening.

Here's why: you have a little over 16 feet width on the right side and then a lot more length to work with. That would be beneficial if you wanted to wind up with a larger screen (like 110" or bigger). You have to remember you will run out of room since you're having to calculate in optimal seating distances for two or three tiers and a large screen (plus your projector will have a certain throw distance to create the image needed). You also don't want your back row right up against the back of the theater. That's an acoustic no-no. Have access from the back of the theater from the top row: steps leading up. I'd block off the back around where the door leading out is, but with plenty of breathing room.

Windows aren't a problem since you aren't even to the building stage yet. Put them on the opposite side of the basement so you don't have to hassle with them in the theater.

This all comes down to how much latitude you have in changing some of the plans beforehand.

I would rather work with that than have too cramped a home theater. You want space to breathe and not have everything and everyone on top of one another. 18' in length (by going with the other area of the floorplan) will run out fairly quickly.

The only reason I didn't have things flip flopped around is because of the outside door. If you have it in the middle of the theater, then you have to go through two rooms to get outside, and that takes your traffic pattern right through the theater.

Depending on the 8', 8" opening and where it lies in the scheme of things (and because of traffic flow from the stairs and bathroom), you might be able to add a second entrance to the theater there. Looking at it closely, that might break things oddly.

Dan

Jeff P

Agent
Thanks for the advice - Looking at the configuration again.

The ceilings will be 9', so that will be nice in the end...

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jeff, having built a theater in a basement as well, I like the upper left corner as well...with the screen wall being the 18'3" wall like mentioned. Then you can build your equipment rack/area into the back wall for easy access from either side of the theater or the storage room! Very custom and neat....walk to the back of the theater, pop in your dvd and your ready to go. Need to plug or adjust your cables, walk into the storage/equipment room and there's the back of your equipment. I did this exact thing...well before I got my front projection system, but you can see the pics at my website below. Only difference was my equipment/storage room was the front wall and not the back wall.

My room is 18'x12'x8' and sits 6-7 comfortably! :D

E

Jeff P

Agent
Thanks Eric, nice job on the theater. I especially like the colors being here in Kansas Jayhawk Land!!

Jeff P

Agent
2004 Update:

Need additional feedback - Due to window's and mechanical room issues, the theater needs to be at the bottom of the pic in the basement. Two options:

Option A

Parallel to the stairs - It would be a 14' by with a sloping back wall(room would be directly left of stairs with upper wall parallel to the stairs)

Option B

Run Perpendicular to Stairs - 13' bottom wall and would be 16' in length (2 foot above current top wall of stairs)

The ceilings are 9 ft in basement

I am hoping for a 96" screen

Thoughts??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks