What's new

help with my dvd audio player (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
I just bought a panny f85 dvd/audio player

i was told that analog connections would be needed to listen to dvd audio

but how come the music is played through dd 5.1?

and when i disconnect the analog connections, the music keeps playing?

i am totally lost...
help please

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, read this thread, specifically my two posts (#4 & especially #9)--they are exactly about what you are asking about.

FYI: a dvd-audio player will only output Dolby or DTS from a dvd-audio disc if you put the player in its dvd-VIDEO mode while that disc is loaded (IIRC for carousel players >>> when it's actually on the optical transport itself, not just sitting on the tray. And I think the player will go back to dvd-audio mode when the disc is changed).

And some new dvd-audio discs are coming out where the Dolby & DTS tracks are accessed via the disc's on-screen menu.

BTW: I'll bet what you're hearing while only the digital connection is being used is Dolby Pro-Logic--the receiver is only getting a stereo digital signal & it is programmed to activate this mode when such a signal is detected, or whatever the owner has programmed into that receiver himself (stereo, hall DSP, Logic7, etc.).

LJ

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
wow, i am lost.

my reciever remote has a multi-channel botton on it but there seems to be more suuround sound when i put in on video 2 (my dvd player).

this is confusing.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You NEED to use the analog connections, and switch to the appropriate input to use those. Your receiver should NOT say DD or DTS, or you're doing it wrong. If in doubt, disconnect the digital audio cable, and see if you still get sound. On my receiver (marantz sr5300) the digital inputs are assignable, I have it assigned to DVD. The analog inputs are a separate input, and I would have to switch to "6.1 channel in" to listen to the hi-res DVD-A tracks. By staying on the DVD input I am using the digital connection and ONLY get a low-res version of the tracks, which defeats the whole point of SACD/DVD-A.

Hope that makes sense.

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
I am always surprised when I see questions like this posed here. Wouldn't this be a question to be answered by the audio/video professional you bought the player from?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks