What's new

Help With Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Thecrowandsting

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I have a mitsubishi WD-82738 82'' 3D rear projection tv I want to upgrade. I would like to get something for the new 4k ultra hd but I also want 3d. The tv I have now is active shutter 3d. Was thinking of going with passive 3d. I'm having trouble deciding on which to go with an oled or home projector. Before I got the mitsubishi i had bought one of the led samsung #D tv's. I tried to watch my bloody valentine 3d on it but the image was horrible in dark scenes it looks like someone is shinning a flashlight towards the center of the tv from all 4 corners. Not sure if they have fixed that yet or not. I'm getting ready to have a new man cave and can be total darkness I have not decided to put in windows or not. my dad used to run the projector at a drive in and the guy that train him worked at the theater so I have been around movies pretty much my whole life. Sometimes my research takes for ever. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I have looked up tons of post and reviews. But It's all starting to run together. lol . So if you guys have any recommendations or advice please let me know what you think. Thanks everyone for your help.

I have been looking at lg 75UH8500 tv, lg OLED77G6P tv, Sony 940d tv, sony VPLVW675ES home projector or something similar. the sony projector is around 15,000 don't want to go over that price but would like to find something cheaper but don't want to sacrifice quality. I'm not sure how my mitsubishi compares to these. I guess as long as i'm bettering myself. What do you guys think the better 3d tech is, Passive or active? I have active now.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My opinion is really that you have to decide what matters more to you, contrast ratio or size.

The Sony VPL-VW675ES will throw a fantastic image. I own that projector and it's phenomenal in every respect, however it will never match an OLED in contrast. If you care about contrast above all else, the LG OLED would be your best bet. The 675ES however can throw an image as large as your room/screen will accommodate. It also does a good job with 3D content, though you need active shutter glasses.

The latest LG OLEDs no longer have 3D, but the PQ is still excellent.

If I were choosing right now, i'd go with the Sony for PJ or the LG for a TV.

Finally, 3D is almost dead. As much as folks would wish otherwise, the number of releases has dropped off and no manufacturers are supporting it anymore. I would suggest you worry about 2D PQ much more than 3D, as there won't be much 3D content going forward. If you must have 3D, then the Sony projector is probably your only option.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Id add don't get the 940D, get the new E. I am seriously considering a 75" next year and the 940 FALD Sony's are a fine display. The E has more zones than the D does.

I'd hate to move from OLED, but I have had a 65" for years, back to plasma, and Im ready for a larger screen I can actually afford. The 940 is basically the same cost as an OLED, with 10 more inches.

Thecrowandsting

Auditioning
Real Name
David
My dad worked at a drive-in and a friends worked as a projectionist at a theater. Then my first job was at a theater. I have been around them my whole life.

Dave upton is there a lower end sony projector that does just as good? I guess as long as it's better than my 82'' mitsubishi rear projection.

3D is a must I usually get premium steelbooks from other countries and they still provide 3d discs with theres. (knock on wood)

I'm hopefully going to build a new room just for my home theater so I may or may not put windows in to keep as dark as possible. might be perfect for a projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks