What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help with Flat Panel mounts (1 Viewer)

I've been trying to research a decent articulating arm mount for my 50" Plasma (around 110 - 120 lbs) that is both good quality and as inexpensive as possible.

I found 3 manufacturers that are often referred to in posts. Chief, their sister company Sanus, and Peerless.

The Chief seems to be the higher-end line, but way out of my price range.

So far the best price/quality mount that I could find is the Sanus VMAA26S mount that has an MSRP of around $450, and I've seen it at BB for that same price, but I recently came across it at the Costco web site for only $270!

Now unfortunately they don't have it at the store so I have to order it to be shipped. But even shipped it's under $310.

Now Sanus does make a VMAA18 and a VMSA model that are supposedly lower in price, but even those models are more at BB ($400 and $350 respectively) than the one at Costco.

Can anyone give me perspective on these mounts? Are they good quality as I've read or am I reading bad reviews? Are there any better prices out there?

Thanks.

728x90

Viktorya

Auditioning
Real Name
Viktorya Maryan
Hello,

I would suggest taking a closer look at Peerless products. The models that are comparable to the products you are looking at are available from Peerless at a lower price and with more benefits. For instance, colors to match the new high gloss screens, greater extension of the arm and so on. Please visit the links below to see pricing.

-techonweb website reference product number PLA50-UNLP-S
-pricegrabber website reference product number PLA50-UNL-S

These products are available in high gloss black as well.

If you have any questions in regards to the products feel free to email me or visit the Peerless website.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Viktorya Maryan

First, thanks for replying.

I don't know, maybe it's me but I don't see an advantage to the price. The price of the Peerless that you recommended is $268, and the price for the Sanus is $269. Techonweb lists it as out of stock. The Pricegrabber site does have the Peerless for $243, but I feel more comfortable going with a local store in case there's a problem. It's only a $26 difference for piece of mind.

I did notice that the Peerless goes out around 29", and the Sanus only 25" but at 25" I believe it's enough to move the 50" screen almost 90 degrees. Which is more than enough.

Thank you for your information again, I did appreciate it!

AV-Guru

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I have purchased and installed several of both of these units. The Sanus unit is no where near as strudy, so you are comparing apples and oranges and the for the minimal price difference you are much better off with the Peerless version.

AV Guru
Mike

Actually Mike it would be around a $65 difference to go with the Peerless. Could you elaborate on "The Sanus unit is no where near as strudy" ?

I mean, will the screen fall? Will the Sanus bend or break? If so, how can they claim that it will hold so many lbs?

Also, I looked at the picture of the Peerless http://www.peerlessindustries.com/Pr...oductID=149319

and it seems to be the point where the 2 vertical bars meet it's bent forward.

Just my observation.

AV-Guru

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
The Sanus "arm" is 1/4" cast aluminum and aluminum is no where near as strong as the steel tubing design of the Peerless product. The Sanus unit will not fall, (even know they did do a recall a few years ago to strengthen that area of the mount). But the aluminum will flex, all aluminum will, it is not as strong as square tubing. Square tubing is one of the strongest structural metal designs, only second to round tubing. Hope this helps.....

AV-Guru

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
The Sanus "arm" is 1/4" cast aluminum and aluminum is no where near as strong as the steel tubing design of the Peerless product. The Sanus unit will not fall, (even know they did do a recall a few years ago to strengthen that area of the mount). But the aluminum will flex, all aluminum will, it is not as strong as square tubing. Square tubing is one of the strongest structural metal designs, only second to round tubing. Hope this helps.....

Remember, you are supporting an expoensive television and $68 in the bigger picture is not that much

AV-Guru

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

Remember, you are supporting an expoensive television and $68 in the bigger picture is not that much

Steve Kohlmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Kohlmann
I'm by no means an expert on this topic. I have yet to buy my big screen TV and mount it.

But having warned you, I HAVE spent a ton of time at the local electronic shops. I would look at an Omni Mount system. These are pretty beefy mounts that appear to be well constructed.

I think their web site is omnimount.com or something like that. Do a Goggle search for them.

I still have not been able to check out either the Sanus or the Peerless (I'll probably see the Peerless tomorrow) But I got to see the Omnimount UCL X Dual-Arm Cantilever Wall Mount at Tweeter. Very hefty unit. But waaaay too expensive at Tweeter. They wanted almost $700 for it!

I found a questionable place on the internet called Mount Depot that is selling the same unit for $398 shipped. But now we're almost $100 over what the Sanus would cost me. And I don't really trust a lot of these Internet retailers that are kinda unknown. Wish I could find it locally at a reasonable price. I'm really struggling with this.

Steve Kohlmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Kohlmann
There's a place here (Milwaukee) called Flanners that sells the Omnimount for I think $450.00.

They have a web site that you can check out but because I'm a newbie this message board won't let me post the site address. But if you do a Google search for "Flanners Brookfield, WI " I'm sure it will come up.

I don't think it's on their web site but I've seen it on the store wall when I went there. That's how I found out about it.

Give them a call, I'm sure they can ship it to you.

Nice people - very professional group.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I have installed two plasma tvs in my house. One is 42" and the other is 50". I used $80 mount at walmart for both of these. So far so good!!!!!

ThuanVu

Stunt Coordinator
No one mention monoprice.com ? :)
Call me cheap but I ordered one from them to mount my Vizio P50
$40 shipped to your door. The mount has tilt option which turn out to be *a bit too thick* (space between the back tv to the wall). I don't need tilt option but they only has one kind
Thanks
Thuan

Actually Mike, I just saw the Sanus mount and it is not cast aluminum. It is solid steel. I confirmed on the website it does say that it is steel, not aluminum.

So far I've seen the Sanus VMAA26 and the Omnimount UCL-X and the ominimount is the nicest by far. I also got a chance to see the Chief Dual arm mount, but that is also out of my price range. Its nice that it has a vertical adjustment feature.

The only one I have yet to see is the Peerless. Tiger Direct had it locally, but they have a stupid policy. They didn't have one on display and wouldn't bring one out of the warehouse in back unless I bought it. If I bought it and didn't like it I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee!

Steve: Thanks for the info. I figure if I'm gonna mail order something I'd probably go with the cheaper Mount Depot that has it for $359. It's too bad no one locally has it for under $400.

Well after looking around at the mounts I was considering (could never find a Peerless locally that I could actually hold) I found a decent price on a Chief PNR-UB on Amazon for under $470 shipped. I didn't want to pay that much for a mount, but after actually seeing it first hand it definitely looked like a sturdy mount.

The Chief will allow vertical adjustments whereas the other mounts didn't seem to at all. I know I spent $200 more than I planned, but at least this mount will hold up to 200lbs so I can use it with a larger TV later on.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Hopefully I can install this without too much hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks