What's new

Help with DVD-A/SACD combo players (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Guys:
Be forewarned: [rant ON].
So I've now finally finished reading the over half-dozen SACD/DVD-A universal player/DV-47A-related threads. I've also now read Joel Brinkley's Stereophile Guide To Home Theater review of the DV-47A. The June 2002 issue arrived shortly after my earlier post in this thread.
Boy, did my Tosh SD-2108 pick the wrong time to die (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=44033). I've been without a DVD player since February. (You'll be able to tell how deeply advanced stage delirium tremens have set in from the bitchiness of this post.) It's starting to look like I'm going to have to knuckle under, go back and read Patrick Megenity's "PCinema" columns in SGHT, upgrade the 'puter to DVD-ROM, shimmy up a tall learning curve on software versus hardware DVD decoding and watch movies on my 'puter on the ViewSonic P225F 22" flat screen monitor I'm going to buy soon (since my crappy, AST monitor died right about the same time as my SD-2108) until after CES next year. Only then will we know if there's a larger array of universal machines on the horizon. I guess I could just shut up already and buy a cheap DVD-V player to tide me over. But I wanna play all these DVD-As and SACDs I've been buying for months already, dammit! :)
In terms of hardware availability, it seems to me that we're suffering through an interstitial passage between, on the one hand, the lackluster introduction and marketing of the SACD and DVD-A formats and, on the other, the hopeful, eventual 'popularization' of these formats. (I'm sure some of you guys saw the news earlier this week--I read it at AudioRevolution.com--that Warner and 5.1 Entertainment are going to do DVD-A demos before some screenings of Episode II. A former projectionist friend of mine tells me that this could be a technical/engineering sticky wicket akin to what has many buying those Radio Shack switch boxes for the home.) All the while of course, the 'copyright protection in the digital media age' debate rages on.
Anyway . . . finally, my more specific point is this: in my fussy opinion, and with all due respect to Stan T and others who are enamored with the DV-47A, we should have more and better universal player options than just that unit at this stage of the game. Some have chroma bug, bass management, SACD playback quality and build quality issues with the piece. Personally, I think the DV-47A is overpriced. I disagree with Brinkley's comment that the unit's price is "attractive." I also mildly resent his latent intimation in the closing paragraph of his review that we should be geeked up about buying the DV-47A simply because it's available "now." Um, no. How 'bout not buying it and demanding that more/better/less expensive product be made available "now."
Think for a moment about how common CDs are, how mature that market is and how deep that format's market penetration is. I just bought a Sony D-F20 portable CD player (with tuner) for $69 at Best Buy (I had to be able to play Vapor Trails on May 14!). Its impact immunity is, pardon the pun, jarring--I can run on the treadmill with the damn thing and it doesn't skip. Now think for another moment about your non-HTFer, CD-buying friends. Do you really think you could convince them to buy a "high resolution" disc player when they represent a large market segment that is--bless their hearts--largely satisfied with CD sound quality . . . and the new player costs five times what they are seeing DVD-V players priced at at the local supermarket?! This is not the way to grow these formats.
Barely a year-and-a-half after the March 1997 introduction of DVD-V, I bought the SD-2108, which was remarkable in its day: component video and DTS (rare back then) . . . for $300! Now, we're over two years past the SCD-1 and DVX-A10 and the "best" universal machine that's available has all of the above-mentioned issues . . . and MSRPs for $1200? Something's rotten in Denmark.
On April 15, Jeff Adams said in a thread (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=62674): "I think what I might do is wait another 6 months to a year to see what other manufacturers come out with both sacd and dvd-audio on the same player. Hopefully this dreaded format war is finally over with affordable combo players."
Begrudgingly, I think I'm resigned to agreeing to be in that same boat. Hopefully its not an under-filled life raft from which we're watching the sinking of both a great ship (these formats) and people in the water around us (those who've bought now and may get spanked in maybe two years by the introduction of high rez players that pass signal via digital outs).
[rant OFF]
Verklempt,
Paul

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Paul I thought I would give you my setup that I have with the DV-47A. I will give you my take on the issues that other people are saying about this player. I have the DV-47A hooked up to a Pioneer Elite Pro-710 RPTV & a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX receiver.

When I first purchased my player I was a little concerned with how light the player was since I was using a Pioneer Elite DV-38A that was built like a tank. However those fears were quickly removed when I saw the much improved picture & the great sound this player gives. I have had my player for about 3 months now & it has played anything that I have put in it with no problems & great sound & picture.

I'm also enjoying the MP3 capabilities of this player also. I am encoding my MP3s at 192bit & I can't tell it from the original recording. The player doesn't skip at all on MP3s either. My receiver upconverts CDs or MP3 CDs to 24 bit & 192bit so anything that I play on the DVD player sounds great. I use CD-RW CDs to record my MP3's on. At 192bit I can fit about 150 songs on a CD with great quality sound.

As far as the chroma bug goes I can't see it on my 65" RPTV. I have watched alot of movies with red in it & I still haven't seen it rear it's ugly head. I had a Pioneer Elite DV-38A before this player & I can honestly say that the picture on the DV-47A is better. I'm sure it's the better video DACs (10bit versus 8bit) this player has. The player just gives an incredible picture. My T.V. locks in full mode with a progessive signal & this player offers a 16x9 compressed mode that will allow you to watch a non-anamorphic movie in progessive mode. It does give a smaller picture than a regular anamorphic movie in full screen but the picture quality is as good as an anamorphic movie. That feature alone would have been worth it for me to buy this player.

The DVD-audio is as good as the Pioneer Elite DV-38A. I have been enjoying DVD-audio for about a year & this player doesn't disappoint in that area. The player has given me my first venture into SACD so I don't have anything previously to compare it to. I can only tell you that with the 5 SACD discs that I have purchased I have been thoroughly impressed. I will definitely be purchasing more as Sony makes more popular titles available.

As far as bass management goes I use the bass management in my Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX receiver. It has analog in bass management. This THX Ultra 2 receiver is one of the only ones on the market to offer bass management for analog in. I can set the crossover, use tone controls & set speaker size for all 5.1 speakers with this feature. If you haven't heard this DVD player with this receiver definitely find a dealer that has them hooked up together. You wouldn't believe the difference. Before I got this receiver I wasn't very impressed with DVD-audio but since I purchased the receiver it makes a night & day difference.

I know there are some purist that say that it goes through an extra conversion from analog to digital for this to happen but I would challenge them to listen to the player & receiver using this function to tell me that it doesn't sound unbelievable. I would not have went with DVD-audio & SACD until I heard it with the bass management that this receiver offers.

For those of you that don't have a receiver that has bass management for analog in I do hope that the manufacturers will make a DVD player that has bass management. I would love for everyone to enjoy DVD-audio & SACD the way that I am.

This player for me was definitely worth $750.00

With the 16x9 compressed mode, 10 bit video DACs, quality DVD-audio & SACD it is a steal.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Stan T:
Thanks much for posting your comments on your set up and experience with the DV-47A. I'm happy you're pleased with your purchase.
I'm just frustrated (obviously) with what I see as the reasons for the delays inhering in greater market penetration of SACD and DVD-A (and HDTV for that matter). It's almost as though Sony wants SACD to remain a niche like MiniDisc. I remember reading a Wall Street Journal story over two years ago in which I think senior Sony exec Mickey Schulhof was quoted as saying that Sony was going to support DVD-A: they were going to release DVD-As of Sony artists and were going to manufacture DVD-A players. Um, what happened to that strategy?
Although the creation and introduction of both these two high rez audio formats and HDTV are arguably not any more stymied in politics than the rollouts of CD and DVD-V, it certainly seems to me that both are taking a lot longer to take off than either of the latter. Look at all the interstitial products we've seen while basically marking time waiting for high rez audio: DTS CDs, Classic Records' 24-bit/96k music only DVDs . . .
I need to get over it, but I'm also still smarting from feeling sucker punched by Pioneer when I bought their PD-M6 way back in the day. It was their/the first magazine style CD changer and it was a total lemon: it never worked for more than 11 months in a row before needing some kind of service. I later learned that it was an exploratory product the purchasers of which basically subsidized Pioneer's r & d of the refinement of the design.
In thinking about my post last night, I thought for sure I was going to log on this morning and find someone saying a variant of, 'well, if you were more willing to pony up for a higher-priced piece like the DV-47A, then maybe your DVD player wouldn't be kaput now . . .' :p)
I had CDs before I had a CD player, but it didn't take 2+ years for a player I liked to come to market at an arguably mass market price (the PD-M6 was $500)! Everytime I go to my media cabinet, I see all the SACDs and DVD-As I have bought and am reminded of this quagmire. Ironically, I have more SACDs than you do and I don't even have a player . . . yet! :)
Cheers,
Paul
NP: Don Henley's I Can't Stand Still--hard to believe The Don's solo debut celebrates its 20th anniversary this year.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Paul you owe it to yourself to hear a DV-47A paired up with a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX with analog in bass management. Great sound on DVD-audio & SACD. I hope you have the chance to hear them together. It's truly a night & day difference in sound.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
We may have an answer about formats soon. Sony and Universal have teamed up to create hybrid CDs that include a Super Audio layer for all new titles, according to Stereophile's story out today.
Check out my post in the Music section for more details.
:)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Stan T:
Paul you owe it to yourself to hear a DV-47A paired up with a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX with analog in bass management. Great sound on DVD-audio & SACD. I hope you have the chance to hear them together. It's truly a night & day difference in sound. said:
I don't understand what you mean. It's my understanding that the SACD specification includes a provision for backward compatibility via inclusion of a 16-bit, Red Book layer. (Never mind the fact that many of Sony's own releases do not take advantage of this.) What you briefly describe above sounds like approaching the same compat issue but from the opposite direction: releasing a disc that includes an SACD layer but calling it a CD. Ostensibly, Sony could have stopped releasing CDs entirely with the introduction of the SACD and instead released only hybrid SACDs. Wouldn't that have been sumpin'? I'll look for your post in the Music area. A link would have been nice. )
Cheers,
Paul

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't understand what you mean. It's my understanding that the SACD specification includes a provision for backward compatibility via inclusion of a 16-bit, Red Book layer.
No problem Paul. The hybrid capability is already part of the format but not used enough. Sony and Universal have simply decided to make more hybrid CDs and expand plant capability to do so, according to the Stereophile source.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:

We may have an answer about formats soon. Sony and Universal have teamed up to create hybrid CDs that include a Super Audio layer for all new titles, according to Stereophile's story out today.
Now that is news! I will have to check out your post on the Music Area, but I am wondering what is up with the partnership. Does Sony need Universal to release hybrids of its own titles? Does this merely mean that Universal is going to release hybrids of its own titles? Universal needs Sony to release SACDs (licensing), but the converse need not be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks