What's new

Replacing dead Bravo D1... Toshiba V592? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My Bravo D1 just died outside of the warranty period and I need to replace it. I'm considering the Toshiba V592 DVD/VCR combo. It has HDMI output for DVD and uses the FLI-2310 chipset. It scored an 86 in the most recent Secrets shootout, best of any player tested including the Panasonic S97, Sony 975V, Samsung HD941, and the Denon 2910. It's also the least expensive of the players I just listed coming in at around $160 shipped online. Unfortunately I won't be able to use the HDMI output just yet since my Panasonic L300U projector's DVI input is not HDCP compliant. Once I upgrade projectors (probably Panasonic AE700U or L500U) I'll start using the HDMI. Luckily the player did pretty well in the Secrets test over component as well (scored a 77).

Can anyone give any insight in to this player or any reason I should go with something else? I don't have any interest in the VCR aspect but it looks to be one of the best inexpensive scaling players out there (I want a scaling player even though I won't be able to use it right away). I don't have any interest in DVD-A or SACD so i'm not looking for a universal player.

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks