What's new

Help with Denon 5800 turns on then off. (1 Viewer)

Rpavone67

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Pavone
Sorry to hear that... Granted, i've been down this road twice but both times I got back a 100% completely working receiver. Repairs a few weeks ago cost me $350. Thing works like new...

Brother David

Auditioning
Real Name
David McGee
Mark, I hate to here of all your trouble. It causes me to be concerned as I am also needing repair but for a different issue. My upgraded 5800 is sending a full voltage spike to my subs when the volume in muted or turned down to zero. Mark, I am considering taking my upgraded 5800 to the Denon service center in Atlanta Georgia. I just wanted to ask if this is where you were receiving difficulty?

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
No I took it to one of their approved service sites in California. It is funny you say that yours is sending spikes to the sub. I have had something like that for a while but I thought it was my old sub

acting up. I had tried to isolate the sub by plugging it into different electrical outlets thinking that was the problem but on real low bass scenes, my mirage sub would go into a hum. I would have to turn it off and back on to reset it. But maybe it was my 5800 the whole time. I sent Denon another email but I think they gave up on me because I have had no response for over 2 weeks now. All I can say is good luck, I loved the sound out of my 5800 but it is to difficult to risk buying another one with it dying after 10 years. If it was a cheaper model I would not have cared at all but you know how much the 5800 was back in the day.

Brother David

Auditioning
Real Name
David McGee
Mark,

You are so correct about the cost of the 5800, and especially after opting for the factory upgrade in the first year. However, the performance is unmatched. I looked at the new Denon "replacement" and it is around $5,000, and it has considerably less power. After some extended research into several repair centers, I decided to send my unit to the Denon "factory service center" which is far from reasonably priced; nor is it within driving distance. The cost is alarming, but I have big hopes that this will get me through several more years.

As for the sub line issue, the only thing my unit was doing was sending a full voltage spike through the sub connection when the volume was muted or lowered to zero. Otherwise, there was no issue. The strange thing is that this happened while the unit was still under warranty and my local "authorized service center" repaired it (they are no longer here). The issue developed again a couple years later and I was very slow about having it repaired the second time, mainly because of all of the connections and the time. This was a costly mistake as I now have fried voice coils in at least 3 of my subs.

One issue I am aware of with self powered subs is if it came with a 3 prong grounded cord, sometimes it is necessary to use a 2 prong adapter because the 3rd or ground plug can cause a "ground loop" which will cause the sub to hum.

I do not want to poke at a wound, but are you still unable to use your analog connections?

In case it might be of interest or need, the official "factory service center" for Denon USA is PanurgyOEM. Their web site is http://panurgyoem.com and their E-mail is [email protected]. They are far from cheap, but they seem to be quite professional. This is the only official factory service center. The others are authorized service centers and many of them are not equipped to service the 5800.

Brother David

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Rpavone67 and Brother David, I just thought I would let you know how it went with Denon. I had traded email's with them about my whole ordeal so I hit them up to buy it back or give me a deal on a new one. After a few more email's they offered me to pick which receiver I wanted and they would let me know how much. I told them I wanted the new AVR-3312CI and they sold it to me shipped out the door for $625. So keep track of you repairs and hit them up when your ready to upgrade. I feel the price they offered me was a great deal for a new unit. Hope this helps. Mark

Brother David

Auditioning
Real Name
David McGee
Mark that is great news, do you still have the remote and charge station by chance? I would love to purchase them if you have them, and are willing to sale .

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to try and hook up the new receiver this weekend and see if the remote works with the new one. If I end up not using the receiver upstairs in my spare room I will sell it. Give me a week or two to decide. Mark

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got around to hooking up the AVR-3312CI and could not get picture via the component out so after 2 weekends trying everything I figured it out the component plugs on the back of the receiver were not working picture would come in and out only when putting pressure on the plugs even with multiple cables. So I shipped it back to Denon. I am waiting to hear from them on what they found out. My old remote seemed to work on the new unit but I never had a chance to see if all the functions worked or not so if I ever get the AVR-3312CI back I will see if the remote works or not.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to bring this thread up from the dead just because it sounds so familiar.
Went to check the 5800 and red light blinking and knew something bad was happening. Disconnected every speaker wire -- shutdown with blinking red light, disconnected everything -- shutdown with blinking red light.

Opened -- cleaned the dust and crud out that I could get to, compressed air everything I couldn't reach. Fuses look to be intact, I can't see or smell any bad caps or see any leaking or see a burnt circuit board. No recent lightning storms -- especially for this area which is unusual.

Reset -- stayed on about 10 seconds - shutdown and blinking red light.

Good news (if there is anything) is at least mine is 17 years old now and in dire need of being taken out of HT service -- no new
audio codecs, no HDMI, no HD video circuits. But dang I loved this receiver though it had bone used only for audio playbac for quite a while except for my LDP -- phono inputs with a stellar preamp, a decent tuner even on AM with a good antenna, RF AC-3 input for my LD player, optical and coax digitals, direct inputs for a DVDA-SACD player (2 sets actually). I could have used it as an audio only option for quite a long time even if it was long gone for any serious HT watching. I love that Denon sound

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks