What's new

SE Link Upgraded Denon 5800 / 5803 Problems - Help wanted (1 Viewer)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I received my Upgraded 5800 back from the Denon Link SE upgrade on July 3rd. I was able to install and hook up all my components on July 7 and immediately noticed a problem with the output of the receiver. It seemed that I had to turn up the volume on the receiver significantly higher than before I sent the unit out for the upgrade. It seemed as if I was needing to set the volume about 10 dB higher to get the same output as previous to the upgrade.

This past weekend I was finally able to find time to go through the "Channel Level" setup on the receiver and here are the settings:

FL +1 dB
C +4 dB
FR 0 dB
SR 1 dB
SBR -1 dB
SBL 2 dB
SL 2 dB
SUB 0 dB

These settings were virtually identical to the settings prior to the upgrade; however, I had to use 65 dB for the reference level on my RS SPL Meter, not 75 dB as is indicated in the users manual and that I had always previously used. The unit could not reach 75 dB with the center speaker and this had never been an issue prior to the upgrade. Therefore, something is wrong with my unit and it is outputting at 10 dB too low.

Is there some 10 dB level adjustment that may have accidentally been turned on by the service technicians? Suggestions on what I could do about the problem? I am hoping that I do not have to ship the unit back out to Torrance due to the time and money involved.

In addition, the following items are confusing regarding the upgrade:

The sheet included with the upgrade indicates an additional choice for the OSD setup menu. This is not active with my upgrade. ( Maybe this is the 5803's only due to their ability to convert signals - I don't know).

Finally, there is a setup menu item that is not explained anywhere nor included in the original upgrade instructions: "Dolby Digital Setup". It allows a universal "Donwmix Option Setup" with "Compression" being either "ON" or "OFF". What is this and what is its purpose?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I think that your best bet is to contact the company in NJ and explain your situation. As you describe what you have discovered, don't let them think that you don't know what you are doing. At the same time listen to what they may say attentively, because sometimes I've noticed dealing with a company to explain something to me; I've come to realize that what I didn't understand was so minor that you almost have to say, "Why didn't I get that the first time".

In any event, that is the best advise that I could give you even though I don't have that receiver.

RF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks