What's new

Help: Windows (XP) Automatic Update Keeps Giving Me Same Update (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hello all,

I'm running Windows XP, and whenever I connect to the Internet, my computer is set to check for Windows updates automatically. Well, a few days ago, one came down the pike, and I installed it. However, every day since then, when I connect, it says there's a new update to install, but it's the same one!

This is the update in question:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)
Multiple security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Any idea what the problem is?

Todd

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
That's interesting - my work laptop has updates automatically pushed to it, and I've received this update, #835732, the last three days in a row.

I've deleted the registry key, let's see if it works.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Heads up. When your in update. I downloaded all 'criticals' for XPpro. Day after went back to MS update to browse some 'recomended' I had not downloaded.
A new 'critical' (KB831167) was listed to fix my patch of the prior day (KB832894).

Downloaded 831167 and my browser sloooowed waaaay down.
After searching quite a bit. (I could not find anything on this issue on MSsupport), I did see some users posting various problems with this patch (including several with my slowdown issue). I had to look hard to find this out, but it was out there on google. I restored to day before, speeded up again.

I would wait on this one, if it pops up in your recomended and have not downloaded yet. See what occurs on the MS site concerning the seeming glitches for some downloaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks