What's new

Help w/ buying a projection tv!! (1 Viewer)

Amy Tippin

Auditioning
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a rear-projection tv, (probably 53 inch or less)...I cant quite afford HD tv yet, so I'm just deciding to go w/ rear projection tv's...

Got any recommendations!? My budget is $1500 (us) or less..

Thanks!

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Well - I just got a 43 (4:3) inch Sony 43T90 and after a whole day I love it. It was about 1500 (if you include the stand). HD was out of my range also but that really didn't bother me that much.

You will have DVD quality anyway when the world goes HD (I've read that the box's that will down convert to analog will be outstanding and better then what you are currently watching).

One thing to remember - add about $100 for cables (not included).

Brad_V

Second Unit
For cheap-but-decent, the 54" Samsung at Best Buy (and is possibly the same as the 54" Akai at Sam's Club for $999) is ok. Soft on the focus, but hey, it's 54" for cheap. RCAs and Magnavoxes are cheap, too.

For a 50" analog set, though, you'd be very sorry if you don't check out the Toshiba 50a61. Best Buy would be the easiest place to find one to look at. I have yet to read a bad word on that set. Most people, myself included, say they thought it was an HD set the first time they saw it. Do a search on it over at hometheaterspot.com . If I'm not supposed to put links in here, I guess that will be edited out and you'll have to email me for what I wrote there.

Anyway, it'd be hard to find someone who wouldn't say the picture on the 50a61 is one of, if not the, best non-HD pictures they've seen on any set. I agree with that, and so that's why I bought one as well.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
if $1500 is really your price point consider the Panasonic 47 " HD ready set. It is very nice but you will have to look around and perhaps haggle to get this pricing.

Best of luck,

Gregg

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
There is a 51" HDTV ready for $1496. $1440 for that 47 inch greg was talking about. Dont know what area of the country your in. That shipping would KILL me, but maybe you can go pick it up.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks