What's new

Help ! SVS sub popping (1 Viewer)

My new SVS 20-30PC has started to emit a loud, low thump or pop whenever I turn the receiver on/off, change the TV station or turn muting on/off ,etc. It plays OK, though, once the program comes on.
Everything was fine till I moved the sub to another part of the room to see if I got better response. I didn't so I moved it back where it was. I turned off the power on receiver and sub before disconnecting cables, etc.
I have everything hooked back up right, I think, with subwoofer cable plugged into one of the line-level inputs.
I tried plugging the power cord into different sockets, with no improvement.
With the sub turned off, this doesn't happen with the other speakers, so it's not the Denon 5700, unless it's just a problem with the LFE out. I tilted the sub some moving it but I didn't drop it.
Also, as a result of the calibration efforts, my receiver's sub level is -8 and the SVS volume is only at 3, so I've reduced the volume significantly from before, so it's not too loud. Maybe it's too low powered now ?

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
This is a bit odd to say the least. It wasn't doing this AT ALL before you moved it? Is it possible you changed some setting (crossover bypass, bass boost, auto-on etc) doing it? Something changed it would seem. Some receivers are (in)famous for putting out voltage bump when sources are changed but again if it wasn't doing it before, SOMETHING must have changed.
It's possible your signal cable got torqued around maybe?
Try checking ALL your settings, recalibrating, SWAP OUT your connector cable, and just for the heck of it flip the polarity of the plug in the wall.
Keep us posted on this. Something is wrong, but what caused the change and is responsible for the noise, we just need to try and isolate it.
Maybe someone here has some experience with this. It's rare, but I know Denon has been singled out on this issue in the past (I have a Denon receiver, it does NOT do this however). Unless it was happening before and you just never noticed it I can't imagine what you did causing this.
We'd have you send the sub back to us to be checked out but frankly it might be a waste of time till we're sure it's the sub acting up (a stretch at this point, but who knows?).
Ron
[Edited last by Ron Stimpson on August 04, 2001 at 02:11 PM]

After rechecking everything a few times, I got smart and hooked up my old subwoofer. It is doing the same thing, so it seems that it is the Denon 5700 and not the subwoofer.
I tried reconnecting things, etc. on the receiver to no avail, but I picked up the manual and I think I know what it is. They say:
"The PRE OUT jacks and SPEAKER terminals include a muting circuit. Because of this, the output signals are greatly reduced for several seconds after the power switch is turned on or input function, surround mode or any other set-up is changed. If the volume is turned up during this time, the output will be very high after the muting circuit stops functioning. Always wait until the muting circuit turns off before adjusting the volume."
That is a pretty close description of what's happening, although it doesn't pop when the receiver is turned on, but it does when muted, input changes, setup entered, or turned off. The main speakers are silent, though, so I guess only the pre-out jack is affected.
I will call Denon and see what they say.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
The problem you are experiencing is related to the Denon product. I do not know the exact cause, but I am of the understanding from the engineering staff that the problem is with an IC in the system. Seems that it breaks down and allows a switching noise to go to the preamp outputs.
I have heard of this problem on more than just the Denon,Onkyo and Pioneer seems to have this happen.
Would be interested in what Denon tells you.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
??
Always do this: turn on the receiver, the bass processor you might have ( make sure the volume knob on the receiver is to minimal level) , THEN the subwoofer ( whose volume is also to minimal ).
when turning the system off, first the sub (or the amp if it's passive sub like the some SVS), then processor and the receiver.
never pops
hardware: DENON A10SE, BFD, JBL pro 300liters subs and amp.

That's fine for turning it off. But it pops when I change channels, change input sources, mute the sound, or do just about anything, except adjust volume and sit quietly and watch the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks