Help..Subwoofer (2 outs from receiver) do I need both?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mattlock_, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Mattlock_

Mattlock_ Auditioning

As a newbie I have a real basic question....I just hooked up my speakers and Sub (SVS PB-12) to my Denon AVR2105 Receiver but I only had 1 sub cable. I noticed that my Denon has 2 outs (Left and Right) to the Sub.

Right now I only have one cable running and it sounds great!! Do I really need to run the other as well? Kinda silly...I would assume so but the sub manual indicates that you dont need to "split" a single cable but since my receiver actually has 2 outs I assume I should run to cables to L & R? Is this correct? Will I get a noticeably better sound?

thanks
    Mattlock

2. Mattlock_

Mattlock_ Auditioning

I was wrong..there is only one output....I had the darn subwoofer plugged into the wrong "out". I had it in the Center instead of the subwoofer....

Sounds even better now (unbelievable sound)

Mattlock
    SVS PB-12 rocks!!!!!

3. Ron_Yeoh

Ron_Yeoh Extra

Hi why is it my subwoofer Mirage PS12-180 has two inputs..for right and left when receivers have only one pre-out for the sub? Does it matter which input we use?
    Thanks

4. Mattlock_

Mattlock_ Auditioning

According to the instructions on my SVS is does not matter which one you use.
    Mattlock

5. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

Ron - One input on your Mirage bypasses the crossover and output level controls on your sub, the other input does not. I don't believe they are "right and left" inputs even though the colors of the jacks are red/white.

You want to use the input that uses the crossover and level adjustment, and set the crossover to the maximum frequency and the level to about 30-40% of full if you're relying on your receiver's crossover and level control for LFE use.

Greg