What's new

Help! - Problems with Sony SA-WM40 sub. (1 Viewer)

Alexander-G

Agent
I can't get any sound out of my Sony SW-WM40 subwoofer and I am trying to diagnose the problem (is it the the speaker, the cable, or the receiver?).

The speaker was working fine earlier today, but I switched the cable to my H/K 310 receiver since the cable I was using was too long. At that point the speaker stopped making any sound, although it would sound intermittently if I jiggled the cable around. Assuming the cable was defective, I switched back to the longer cable, and from then on I can't get any sound out of the speaker using either cable. I am assuming that the cable is not the problem b/c I have two that don't work. Also, when I plug one end of the cable into the subwoofer, turn the volume up and tap on the other end of the cable, the tapping doesn't cause the speaker to make any sound at all. That makes me think the problem is with the speaker. Is there anything else I might do to confirm where the problem is so that I know what to fix? Any ideas on what may have caused this to happen?

Many thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
rather cheap plugs to the unit...

It is a problem with the RCA jack on the unit.

Probably a simple fix, but one that will require a soldering iron.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Did You check the fuse on the back of your sub? It sounds like you've caused a short.

Alexander-G

Agent
Thanks to you both for your replies. I will try to change the fuse first (subject to the below), and if that doesn't work, try to find someone who knows how to fix the RCA jacks. A couple of points:

1. The power light still works when i turn the subwoofer on. Is that consistent with a blown fuse? Wouldn't the power completely shut off? Or is there more than one fuse?

2. Assuming it could be the fuse, does anybody know what fuse I would need to get. The instructions are silent on this (probably because they don't want to encourage self-repair). I guess I can just open it up and take the old fuse to Radio Shack if there is no other option.

Thanks!

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Just turn off then unplug your sub and remove any connections to it. You'll see right away if the filament inside is blown, it won't be straight. You'll see on the side of the metal conductor of the fuse it will say 2a 250v for example which is a 2amp fuse with a max voltage of 250 volts.
If it is blown just make sure you replace it with the exact same fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks