1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

First post. First question. About DLS sub.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_B_H, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Jason_B_H

Jason_B_H Auditioning

Hi! Just registered here. Just ordered the DLS sub after reading all the rave reviews of the members here. I do have a question though if anyone would care to help me.

I just bought a sony sa-wm20 because the wm40 wasn't in the budget and I've got a pretty small living room. When I hooked it up it sounded great. Watched a couple movies and was pretty impressed with what was coming out of the little sub. Then I put in "We were soldiers" and I was overwhelmed with dissappointment. Throughout the movie, there are drums playing on the music track. Whenever these drums would play my little sub would start fluttering like crazy making god awful burping sounds. The system volume as well as the sub volume wasn't loud at all but it still made this fluttering sound. It was so unbearable I couldn't watch the movie. I put in "Sum of all fears" and the same thing happened when they showed the superbowl scene. Again, it was the sound of drums playing that put the sa-wm20 into a fit. I decided right there to return it and find a better sub. Low and behold I ended up here and heard great things about the DLS from parts express.

Ok, on to my question. Is the DLS sub going to be plagued with the same problem? Has anyone with the DLS played "we were soldiers" and had the same problem? Everyone keeps saying the DLS compares to the sa-wm40 so I know it will be better than my measly wm20, and at the same price to boot. Just curious as to what to expect.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I believe the Sony you have has a 8" speaker with a 50 watt amp. The sub was apparently overdriven. I doubt that will happen with the DLS on the material you described.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Jason you will have no such problem. If it will help put your mind at ease I will fire up the "Mighty Little DLS" tomorrow with "We Were Solders at -15, no -20 and get back to you. Welcome to our neighborhood. The 20 just was plainly being overdriven and you will notice a night and day difference with the DLS.

4. Jason_B_H

Jason_B_H Auditioning

Hey guys. Thanks for the quick replies. My mind is definitely at ease.

5. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

By my count there are six of these "lil guys" being deliverd this week to Shane, Matt, Colin, Jim, David, & Jason. Anyone care to offer any special set-up tips for the group ?

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Jason

As noted by most all above, the wimpy Sony-20 just wasn't up to the task and was definitly being driven to clipping/distortion or less likely, bottoming of the driver.
    Maybe both! [​IMG] And yes, return that sucker ASAP

As to the DLS, it will litterly CRUSH the Sony-20 and you should definitly find the bass (quailty and quantity) to be much much better.....!

I might suggest you pick up a Radio Shack Analog Spl meter and a calibration disc, this is used to set your system and sub up properly.
    The Basic Area has a nice primer you can read dealing with getting started.
    I am "assuming" that you do not have these items (SPL Meter & Avia, VE, or S&V cali disc) as there is no mention of the volume levle you were playing your movies at.
    I appoligize if I assumed wrong and you have these already. :b:

The RS spl meter runs about 39.00 US dollars and you can rent the calibration disc from Block Buster if your budget dose not allow for this purchases. I recomend Avia, as it realy dose a nice job of explaining in laymans terms what your doing, how to do it, and why!
    These things are very important to get all you can out of your system regardless if your system is entry levle or state of the art.

There is also boat load of information here (i'm sure you've noticed already) to help you with any problems you might run into or not understand when using these tools to calibrate your system. Use the (Search Fuction also) as this can be helpfull to find quick answers some times to your questions, that is (when it's working). [​IMG]
    Of course you can always post a question and the many friends of the HTF family will do their best to answer them.

Welcome to HTF and enjoy the new sub. You will be amazed at it's capabilitys.

Regards
    Geoff

7. Jason_B_H

Jason_B_H Auditioning

I will definitely pick up an SPL meter and a calibration disc. Thanks for the tip. Somehow I think these forums are going to come in quite handy when the sub comes in.

8. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

Went shopping today for an SPL (Radio Shack) only the digital SPL is available so I passed. Is it an acceptable alternative? I'm sure I can go back and pick it up tomorrow.
    Also, I have the S&V set-up disk but am wondering if the AVIA is better?

9. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I've got one coming too... In theory. Will report in.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

David

Yes the R-Shack Digital Spl Meter is acceptable, but some find it slightly harder to use. There are basic use directions/explanations on how to use it included with it.
    If you need help using it, a quick post should find many willing to help out.

It has a few extra features that can be useful once you are familar with it that are not on the Analog unit.

A few here actually prefer the Digital to the Analog unit just for these extra features, though it dose cost a little more.

Geoff

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I use the Digital and have been very happy with it. Yes it does cost more[​IMG] . It has a 20 db spread, so it is easy to use-user friendly.____________________________________
    Jason I have a sales meeting today so I need to go back to work[​IMG] . I will do the Soldier movie tomorrow with the DLS if you would still like. I think your OK now though?

12. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

I just got my DLS today...I think there is a problem with it thought. During stretched bass scenes i hear a boboling noise like and it sounds as if its bottoming out. i have the crossover set to about 75 and the volume about half. I have no adjustment on my reciever except just a -10 to 10 db adjustment. I dont know what to do, im really disapointed and i hope im doing somthing wrong. anyone know what the problem migh be?

13. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Matt

How big is your room WxDxH and do you have openings on certain walls?

Is the sub corner loaded to start?

What receiver are you using and are your speaks set to small, and what is the receivers crossover small setting or settings.?

Did you (calibrate your system and sub with the spl meter and a cali disc)?

As a side note, the first batch of DLS's that came in where defective.
    What was wrong I don't know!
    I read it here a few days/week or so back. This was when they ran out of subs around the begining of Jan and were waiting for a new shipment. When the new shipment came, they found them to be defective as I noted.

You might want to write down the serial # and give PE a call and check to see if you might have got one out of the bad shipment, or there may be some bad ones in the newest shipment, it's (possible) and if true would be by acciendent(sp) surley.

If this is not the case we will try and help you trouble shoot from their.

Geoff

14. Matt Nevala

my room is small like 10x12x10. It is in the cornor avout 3 inchs away from the walls. My setting are on small, and there isnt any other adjustment to those except a 0-10db. I didnt calibrate it. This DLS isnt one from the latest bad batch. i got it from ebay.[​IMG]
    thanks

15. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Matt if you bought it on Ebay then the sky is the limit on where it came from. Bummer! Do you have a warranty?

16. Matt Nevala

well im not sure, ther was no registration card with it. just the manual for the speaker...[​IMG] it doesnt sound like thres a blown coil or anything because on punchy bass from music it sounds good. its just that long stretched bass.

17. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well I would calibrate your system and if the problem still is their then call PE. Hopefully they will still help even though youpurchased it from Ebay.

In that size room you should have plenty O bassage....

You mght try runing the subs plate amp volume control lower and turn the receivers sub gain up.
    Try to set the (receivers sub gain) in the middle and then use the plate amps volume pot to bring the volume up.

Something definitly dose not sound right especialy in a room that small.

Dose your receiver have a LFE trim?
    Are you feeding both rca inputs on the sub?

Try using a different cable to feed the sub.
    Also try the phase switch and the subs crossover bypass, or if it dose not have one crank the crossover all the way up.

Untill you calibrate everything and we know what kind of spl levles your hitting it's tough to say. But at this point I am thinking something is not right with the set up or more likely the sub itself.
    Go threw all your connection and make sure all is correct.

Again in a room that small it shold not take much to fill it will ample amounts of bass. The problem you describe is very strange indeed. One hit bass notes are fine but sustained bass is a mess, very strange unless you flat out are trying to push it to hard. Dose not sound like thats the problem though..

Best of Luck
    Geoff

18. Matt Nevala

Thanks for the help, my reciever is putting out a LFE signal and all connections are good. (mono output to a 1f 2m adaptor then into the sub) Im going to fool with the settings tomorrow b/c my parents are gettting upset with all the thumping noises coming from my room lol. (im only 16 if ur wondering why i live with my parents)It seemed better after i switched the mode to on instead of auto. Again im going to fool around a bunch tomorrow.

matt

19. Jason_B_H

Jason_B_H Auditioning

OH MY GOODNESS!! Got my sub today. Thank you so much for this recommendation. I am thoroughly impressed with this thing. It definitely does "crush" the little wm-20 I had. I can't believe how much cleaner this thing sounds. The problems I had with the wm-20 do not exist with the DLS. I can not believe they sell a sub that sounds this great for only $98. Tried a couple video stores today and couldn't find a calibration disc. Just setting it up by ear it sounds wonderful. I'm going to go hunting again for a calibration disc tommorrow. Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome recommendation. If anyone else is thinking about getting this sub. Do it. You will be impressed.

20. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

I just got my DLS sub today and I too experienced a similar bobbling sound during prolonged bass. I noticed it when i watched Monsters Inc. where Sullivan makes the girl laugh in their apartment, and she overloads the electricity in the building. It was downright scary. For a second i thought i had blown the amp cuz it was dead silent right afterwards, although im sure that was the intent of the movie to make it sound like a blackout has occured.

I also noticed another problem. Occasionally when i fiddle around w/ the volume or crossover while its playing, it makes a loud humming noise. When i mute my reciver the hum is still there and very constant. Turning the sub off and on would usually fix this. Could it possible be the cable im using? im using a 12ft radioshack gold videocable connected to the right input of the sub.

The sub was not yet calibrated, crossover at 120, 10 oclock volume, and corner loaded at about 6 inches from the walls. this is in a 12x14 room w/ no openings and closed windows. I left the sub on the On position.