?'s about JBL center channels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_Lyles, May 1, 2002.

1. James_Lyles

James_Lyles Auditioning

I am in the process of upgrading my HT.I am using JBL N38s for my mains,Sony SA-WM40 sub, deciding between JBL N26s or N28s for surrounds, and deciding between JBL n-center or the s-center. I am using a Sony STR-DE945 receiver. Ok. Now for the questions:

After reading reviews about the N-center, some people have had problems with blowing the tweeter and with video shielding problems.Has JBL fixed this? Will using the S-center with my N38s cause a noticeable problem?If so, can it be fixed using equalization? Which would be the better choice for surrounds: N28s or N26s?Thanks for any help!!!

2. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I have an S-center that I use with a pair of JBL towers and it's a great CC for the money. I know it's not perfectly matched to the N series, but I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. Get one from the local BB and audition it for 30 days to see how it sounds with your N's.

Can't comment on the surrounds as I have 4 towers in this set-up. HTH...Mike

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i have my Ncenter sitting right on top of an old CRT 25" magnavox tv. no problems whatsoever. also, you should use the Ncenter to stay timbrematched with the Nseries mains you have

4. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Something else to consider here. Will the average Joe who just wants a decent HT notice things like timbre matching? Will he say that "Oh my God, this N series and S series mix has got to go! I can't tolerate this!" or will he be satisfied knowing that he's got 5 quality JBL speakers?

Basically, is timbre matching for the finely tuned ear only, or is it blatantly audible for experienced HT junkies as well as newbies?

Just more food for thought.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Well matching does make an audible difference that the average joe can hear. You just have to do the right test.
    Say during a movie when there's music playing through the surrounds as well as the mains. If the speakers arn't matched, the tonality of the speakers conflict and fail to recreate the tones.
    It's not just matching voices, or trains that go by. But music and ambient noise that sounds better when the speakers match as opposed to producing harmonic hums here and there.
    Just from my experience mixing JBL drivers with Altec Lansing. [​IMG]

6. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

I have the N-Center. No problems with the television, no problems with the tweeter.

Scott

7. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I have the S-Center and thought the 3 way gave better clarity for a CC than the N-center 2 way. The N did sound good, but not quite as precise as the S.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

9. James_Lyles

James_Lyles Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies!!! I think I will just go with the N-center. Still undecided about the surrounds though.My local Best Buy has a set of N28s that are display models for $69 each! Oh, just in case, I found the info on the blown tweeters in the N-centers on audioreview.com.

10. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

>>>>I will always use the N-Center w/my JBL N24s which is a keeper, and going up to my vacation house.

phil, are you buying new speakers? if so are you sticking with the JBL line? thanks rob

11. Phil Iturralde

RobertGeo - When JBL lowered the Studio Series price, I bought four JBL S26 & JBL S-Center!! (Rec: Feb. 25, 2002 - $554.86 including 3-Day FedEX)
    James W. Johnson - DIY'er was impressed with his JBL S26, he took it apart and wrote about it here.
    I eventually wrote my JBL S26 review here.
    Later, I found a blind test JBL S26 vs. Boston Acoustics CR8 vs.B&W DM601, published result here.
    Phil

12. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

sounds good phil.

btw-nice webpage(s) rob

13. Phil Iturralde

14. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I have N38 mains, N-Center, and just got N26's for the surrounds a few weeks ago. Unfortuately I have yet to hook them up. Due to their weight, I need to drag my lazy but to Home Depot to get a studfinder. I went with the N26's since they were smaller and had wall mount brackets (ordered seperately). Although I guess I can use drywall anchors...