What's new

?'s about JBL center channels (1 Viewer)

James_Lyles

Auditioning
I am in the process of upgrading my HT.I am using JBL N38s for my mains,Sony SA-WM40 sub, deciding between JBL N26s or N28s for surrounds, and deciding between JBL n-center or the s-center. I am using a Sony STR-DE945 receiver. Ok. Now for the questions:

After reading reviews about the N-center, some people have had problems with blowing the tweeter and with video shielding problems.Has JBL fixed this? Will using the S-center with my N38s cause a noticeable problem?If so, can it be fixed using equalization? Which would be the better choice for surrounds: N28s or N26s?Thanks for any help!!!

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I have an S-center that I use with a pair of JBL towers and it's a great CC for the money. I know it's not perfectly matched to the N series, but I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. Get one from the local BB and audition it for 30 days to see how it sounds with your N's.

Can't comment on the surrounds as I have 4 towers in this set-up. HTH...Mike

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i have my Ncenter sitting right on top of an old CRT 25" magnavox tv. no problems whatsoever. also, you should use the Ncenter to stay timbrematched with the Nseries mains you have

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
Something else to consider here. Will the average Joe who just wants a decent HT notice things like timbre matching? Will he say that "Oh my God, this N series and S series mix has got to go! I can't tolerate this!" or will he be satisfied knowing that he's got 5 quality JBL speakers?

Basically, is timbre matching for the finely tuned ear only, or is it blatantly audible for experienced HT junkies as well as newbies?

Just more food for thought.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Well matching does make an audible difference that the average joe can hear. You just have to do the right test.
Say during a movie when there's music playing through the surrounds as well as the mains. If the speakers arn't matched, the tonality of the speakers conflict and fail to recreate the tones.
It's not just matching voices, or trains that go by. But music and ambient noise that sounds better when the speakers match as opposed to producing harmonic hums here and there.
Just from my experience mixing JBL drivers with Altec Lansing. :frowning:

Hank_P

Second Unit
I have the S-Center and thought the 3 way gave better clarity for a CC than the N-center 2 way. The N did sound good, but not quite as precise as the S.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... can it be fixed using equalization?
Not really since the laws of physics comes into play when the Tweeter (key to timbre-matching) size and material are different.
ENTIRE N-Series: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide
ENTIRE S-Series: 1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide
In direct comparison (I own the JBL NSP1 & JBL S26 (x4) / S-Center), the S-Center character presents the same clear dialog presence of my 2-year old JBL N-Center. The N-Center w/JBL N24 front channel combination timbre-matching panning was 100% excellent, and putting the S-Center in the N-Center place disconnected the 100% timbre-matching (maybe 75% matched) because the S-Center was voiced-matched by JBL for the S-Series so, with my JBL S-26s, the combination sounded 100% voice-matched. Obviously, JBL Designed it that way, so, I will always use the N-Center w/my JBL N24s which is a keeper, :) and going up to my vacation house.
Phil

James_Lyles

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies!!! I think I will just go with the N-center. Still undecided about the surrounds though.My local Best Buy has a set of N28s that are display models for $69 each! Oh, just in case, I found the info on the blown tweeters in the N-centers on audioreview.com.

RobertGeo

Agent
>>>>I will always use the N-Center w/my JBL N24s which is a keeper, and going up to my vacation house.

phil, are you buying new speakers? if so are you sticking with the JBL line? thanks rob

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
RobertGeo - When JBL lowered the Studio Series price, I bought four JBL S26 & JBL S-Center!! (Rec: Feb. 25, 2002 - $554.86 including 3-Day FedEX)
James W. Johnson - DIY'er was impressed with his JBL S26, he took it apart and wrote about it here.
I eventually wrote my JBL S26 review here.
Later, I found a blind test JBL S26 vs. Boston Acoustics CR8 vs.B&W DM601, published result here.
Phil

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I have N38 mains, N-Center, and just got N26's for the surrounds a few weeks ago. Unfortuately I have yet to hook them up. Due to their weight, I need to drag my lazy but to Home Depot to get a studfinder. I went with the N26's since they were smaller and had wall mount brackets (ordered seperately). Although I guess I can use drywall anchors...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks