What's new

Help, Please, Thanks!! (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
In the next few minutes I am going to start taking down a wall of mirrors in my HT room. The mirrors are on the back wall and take about 70% of the wall. My question is what sort of effect will my removing of the mirrors have audio wise in the room? I heard that mirrors weren't that great for audio. Also two of the walls are block (cinder) and the other two are drywall; the mirrors are on one of the drywalls. The back and the right walls are drywall and the front and the left walls are block. Thanks in advance.

Daniel Smith

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely no effect. Mirrors have the same quality as concrete, and drywall. They all reflect the sound

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Any hard surface is bad for sound. Drywall is not as bad as cinderblock or glass, though; it does offer some absorption. However, I basically agree with Todd. With those two cinderblock walls, removing the mirrors probably won’t make enough difference to notice. You’ll need to get some absorptive materials on at least the cinderblock. Hopefully the floor will be carpeted?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisTheg

Agent
Both are pretty much right. This all depends, however, on the type of speakers you have. If you want this room to be perfect for Home Theater you really should get some acoustic tiles. Well actually that would be more for music, but it would add to the movie experience as well.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I have Klipsch Rf-5's, Rc-7 and Rs-7's which are a little bright. I notice a sortof lack of mid range and midbass I have troube getting my speakers to perform well in these areas I heard them at the store and they sounded great in the mid range and mid bass they rocked but when I took them home it was gone. I've always had this problem it's prolly because of my room. When people would listen to music in my room they'd sometimes say it sounded bright or that there wasn't alot or midrange. My eq has helped me alot with the midrange but I want more, I've also used it to tame the brightness in my room and it's done better at that than with the midrange. I just got permission to put up acoustic stuff on the back wall where the mirrors where do you have any suggestions? Are there any DIY stuff I can make to absorb high frequencies and maybe help with the midrange problem? Thanks for all the info so far.

Daniel Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks