What's new

Help, no audio when playing Blu Ray others paly fine (1 Viewer)

MrG

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
My computer (running Windows 7) has a Blu Ray drive in it and DVD movies ripped to hard drives. I recently tried to play a Blu Ray. My computer is hooked up to my Sony STRDN1030 receiver via DVI to HDMI cable then HDMI out to TV. I have my computer audio hooked up to my receiver via optical audio cable.
I have had it set up this way for a over year and just replaced my old receiver with the Sony. I have never had a single problem with either audio or video, all of my DVDs and Blu Ray movies played perfectly. Now, when I try to play a Blu Ray, I get beautiful crisp video and no audio. All the menus and previews have audio and video, but the moment I click play movie, all of the audio stops. I downloaded a free trial to a different Blu Ray playing software (cyberlink powerdvd 10) hoping that maybe it was only my ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 3 Platinum was messing up, but it was the same deal on the cyberlink, no audio.
Any Help is welcomed...

My Complete system includes:
Hardware:
Del XPS 720 Computer Quad core
Sony STR DN1030 Receiver
65” Panasonic Plasma TV

Connections:
Video - DVI to HDMI adaptor output to stereo
Optical Audio Output to stereo
Direct TV HDMI to stereo
HDMI to TV

Software:
Total Media Center 3 for playing back BD from inside Windows Media Center
Windows Media Center plays DVD
My Movies for Windows Media Center for movie collection from inside WMC
All DVD’s and BD DVD ripped to hard drives (Disc folder structure)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are the blu rays from discs or are they ripped to a hard drive, i keep thinking Cinavia now whenever i hear about audio not playing, i doubt it's that since audio would play for fifteen to twenty minutes before it mutes, strange that the menus and previews play but only the movie audio is not there.

Was there a recent firmware for total media center 3 or have you upgraded its firmware or changed any settings within the software, i have an idea for a good test, how about trying an actual BD disc and seeing if it plays the audio through the computer.

MrG

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
FoxyMulder said:
Are the blu rays from discs or are they ripped to a hard drive, i keep thinking Cinavia now whenever i hear about audio not playing, i doubt it's that since audio would play for fifteen to twenty minutes before it mutes, strange that the menus and previews play but only the movie audio is not there.

Was there a recent firmware for total media center 3 or have you upgraded its firmware or changed any settings within the software, i have an idea for a good test, how about trying an actual BD disc and seeing if it plays the audio through the computer.
Thank You for your reply,
When the problem started I tried both ripped Blu Ray and also Discs, same problem on both. No software or hardware updates have been involved in this crazy situation. Since the receiver was the only thing that changed, I am guessing that it has something to do with the confusing setup in the Sony receiver.

MrG

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
It is possible that AVR doesn't allow a secondary audio when you pick HDMI.What does the manual say?
I have the audio setup for optical and it allows for setting up each input differently, I tried mutiple setups to no avail.

MrG

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Gregg Loewen said:
DVI doesnt carry audio

?
The audio is running through the optical output of the computer into the optical input of the receiver and the receiver is playing audio on everthing except the Blu Ray Movies

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
MrG said:
When the problem started I tried both ripped Blu Ray and also Discs, same problem on both. No software or hardware updates have been involved in this crazy situation. Since the receiver was the only thing that changed, I am guessing that it has something to do with the confusing setup in the Sony receiver.
I would take a long look at the manual, i guess Sony's manual is probably a PDF file you read on the computer since a lot of manufacturers are cutting costs and not producing the written manuals these days, anyways it's probably a setting in there, try changing a few things, it is weird the trailers play with sound and the movie doesn't.

Download Windows media player classic, open it then select from it's menu file - open file, look on your computer then find the hard drive where your blu ray ripped files are - open one of them, it should play in windows media player classic, while the film plays go back to the menu of windows media player classic and select file - properties - details, it should give you info on the sound and channels in there.

Can you hook your optical audio out cable directly to the TV and see what happens, do you get sound via HDMI delivered to the TV, a thought is that if your TV has an optical out then connect via HDMI to the TV then use the TV's optical out to the Sony receiver, be sure to select the correct input in the Sony receiver to get the optical sound after you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks