Help me sell my gear

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, May 27, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

It is a terrible day for me. I have been out of work for a long time now and it seems as I have no choice but to sell my gear. I have being putting this off for a long time, I can't imagine life without my modest system, but I guess others have made harder choices. My problem is I don't know what fair prices are for this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Please note I am in Canada so please note Canadian dollars or US.

I need prices for

Denon AVR3300
    sony vega KV32FS12
    toshiba sd2800
    Paradigm studio 100 real wood (rosenut) version 1
    Paradigm studio 20 real wood (rosenut) version 2
    Shiva 85 box sub vented with ava250

any pricing help would be great

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear about your hard times. The rule of thumb I have heard is, gear that is up to a year old = 50% of retail, older than a year = 30-45% of retail depending on condition. Good luck.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

what i generally do is i check the "completed items" on ebay for the gear i'm looking to sell. this gives you a rough idea of what your equipment will draw. instead of starting an auction, however, i will email all the unsuccessful bidders with an offer (usually $25 less than the winning bid). i have had relatively good success selling items this way.

kevin t

4. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

James,
    I think that you will get more $$$ if you sell the Paradigm speakers to the US. Generally, the list prices in the US are about the same in Canada, but in US dollars not loonies. Since Denon is noticeably pricier in Canada, your best bet is to sell it local or within Canada. Due to it's weight and size, try selling the Sony TV local too.
    Not sure where you bought the Paradigms....if it's Audioshop, you might be able to advertise for a private sale on their website. http://www.audioshop.on.ca
    I would use 50-60% of the list price (US or Canada, depending on who are targeting as a buyer). This is a general rule for used HT components in good to excellent condition and a fairly new model. Shipping would be extra. However, you might have to pay half the shipping if it's big and heavy.
    Good luck.
    Dave

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Man that sucks. You've put together a really nice system. Good luck with finding work. Something will come up hopefully before it's not too late.

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

If you do indeed end up having to sell it, I hope you're able to buy something even better later on .

7. farnamT

farnamT Agent

You can get 70% of the value if you sell on ebay.

8. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I think you shouldn't sell all of it, only part of it. Maybe the extra money from the parts you sell will be enough to hold you over through hard times. I wouldn't want to have to get rid of Studio 100s, or the DIY sub.

9. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

James,
    You're welcome to list your gear on my site in the classifieds section. Just shoot me an email should you choose to do so. Audio Centre has a for sale board on their website too. Also, there is a very good Canadian used gear site here:
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

10. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Another scenario...

Are there any close friends that have enjoyed your system in the past?

You may be able to get a bit more money selling to them, considering there is no shipping and handling and they trust you that your system is in good working order, that it has been well cared for. You could even sell it with an installation charge.

Times are tough right now throughout North America. You aren't alone during this recession. Hopefully things will turn around soon for you.

Peace,

Jeremy

11. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

James,

I wish you luck. I have a very similar system, and have had difficulty selling my gear. The 100's are especially tough to move.

Brandon